Blue-chip recruit Rush visits Indiana

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../508130453/1069

Blue-chip recruit Rush visits Indiana

6-6 swingman lists Hoosiers, Illinois and Kansas as top 3 choices.

By Terry Hutchens

[email protected]

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- There's nothing like an official visit from one of the top 15 players in the country in the Class of 2005 to change what had been a quiet summer on the recruiting front for Indiana University basketball.

Brandon Rush, a 6-6, 200-pound swingman ranked No. 13 in the nation by rivals.com and hoopmasters.com, spent Thursday and Friday at IU and told The Star the Hoosiers are very much in the running for his services. IU has one scholarship available in the current class.

"Indiana lost Bracey Wright and they need players to come in here and I think I could be a big part of what they want to do this season," Rush said. "When you think of Indiana, you think of basketball. I know the people around here love basketball."

Rush has made official visits to Illinois, Oklahoma and Indiana. He plans to visit Kansas on Monday or Tuesday. He has also made an unofficial visit to USC. He said he hopes to make his mind up soon. Classes begin at many colleges Aug. 22, while Indiana starts a week later on Aug. 29.

He said Friday he has narrowed his list of potential schools to three -- Indiana, Illinois and Kansas.

"I would think I'll make an announcement of where I'm going to go right after I go to Kansas," Rush said.

Rush said he spent all day Friday "hanging out" with IU coach Mike Davis, and went to a movie with his recruiting host, Robert Vaden. Rush said he has known Davis since his freshman year in high school and would feel very comfortable playing for him in college.

"We have a real cool relationship and we've talked many times over the last four years," Rush said. "Coach Davis came to see me play a few times in high school and I have a lot of respect for both him and the Indiana program."

Many recruiting analysts expected Rush to go straight to the NBA after playing the past two seasons at Mt. Zion Academy in Durham, N.C., where he averaged 21 points, six rebounds and five assists as a senior.

But after attending one NBA predraft camp and working out for seven NBA teams, Rush withdrew his name from draft consideration by the NBA's June 21 deadline and decided to play at least one year of college basketball. Because he paid his own way to all of those workouts, however, Rush will be eligible to play college basketball this fall.

Mt. Zion coach Tony Fozard said Indiana is in good position.

"They're the same as the other schools right now, but I'd say he's leaning more strongly toward Indiana than other schools," Fozard said.

Fozard has compared Rush to NBA star Tracy McGrady, who played at Mt. Zion before going directly to the pros. Rush, who turned 20 on July 7, is the younger brother of Kareem Rush, who played at Missouri and is now in the NBA with Charlotte.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
I see him going to a Kansas or USC. Anyway, I heard the guy is as dumb as bricks and that's why Oklahoma didn't want him anymore. Academically I heard he probably wouldn't have made it at Illinois either.

If you read the article, USC is not in his top 3.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
If you read the article, USC is not in his top 3.

I read it, but it seems that he would go there. Why? Because it's not that hard of a school to get into and I think they play in the Pac-10 which is a major conference. That means TV time for him(especially with Tim Floyd there) and a better shot to get his name out there to NBA scouts. Wherever he goes, it can't be hard for him academically, else he'll fall faster than Imari Sawyer.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
I read it, but it seems that he would go there. Why? Because it's not that hard of a school to get into and I think they play in the Pac-10 which is a major conference. That means TV time for him(especially with Tim Floyd there) and a better shot to get his name out there to NBA scouts. Wherever he goes, it can't be hard for him academically, else he'll fall faster than Imari Sawyer.

Haha....STILL ....IU, UI, KU > USC

Those 3 teams are all on TV more than USC will ever be. I don't think I've ever seen a USC game on TV.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Haha....STILL ....IU, UI, KU > USC

Those 3 teams are all on TV more than USC will ever be.  I don't think I've ever seen a USC game on TV.

I know I won't minus a couple games on CBS and the Pac-10 Tourny. I agree IU, UI, & KU are all better, but this is Brandon Rush we're talking about. I don't see him going to Illinois. It's a shame because he's a talented player. If he goes to KU, he'll be out faster than JR Giddens was. IU, I don't know about. If Mike Davis were to be fired after the season though, he probably would transfer out in a jiffy.

More good news...I hadn't heard a thing about the 2006 class since Oden decided on '06, but I just found this.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...S/50813004/1004

IU prospect quiet on list of schools

By Jeff Rabjohns

[email protected]

Where Indiana University fits with Darrell Arthur remains a mystery.

Actually where anyone stands with Arthur has been unclear for several days.

One of the top uncommitted players in the class of 2006, the 6-9 forward from Texas was going to release his final list of schools on Thursday, according to what his AAU coach, Jazzy Hartwell, told rivals.com early last week.

Apparently, that didn’t happen.

Neither Hartwell nor Arthur have been reachable since Thursday. The voicemail on Hartwell’s cell phone has been full since Thursday. Messages left since Thursday at the number listed as Arthur’s home have not been returned.

As of tonight, no credible media source had reported Arthur’s list.

“UCLA and Indiana have come on strong lately,” Hartwell told rivals.com this past week. “Both of those programs have done an outstanding job of recruiting Darrell. Both UCLA and Indiana have made a late push.”

Arthur, ranked No. 19 in the 2006 class by rivals.com, was on the same team as Lawrence North’s Greg Oden and Mike Conley at the USA Basketball Festival in San Diego earlier this summer.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
Greasy, Oden decided where he was going?

Ohio State with Mike Conley. Plus they already have Daqeuan Cook and they might be getting another 4/5 star recruit. They're going to be stacked. I always thought they were supposed to go on prohibition though for all those violations found from within. I guess the NCAA is letting them slide.

Anyway, I heard the guy is as dumb as bricks and that's why Oklahoma didn't want him anymore.

Actually, Oklahoma's academice standards in basketball are about as low as it can get. They get in atleast one Juco every year, and this year isn't over.

I've actually heard good things about Rush and the Illini. Just as long as Weber knows he's a 1 and done kid without any chance of a sophomore season. Rush likes the scoring oppurtunities and has formed a bond with Dee Brown.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
Actually, Oklahoma's academice standards in basketball are about as low as it can get. They get in atleast one Juco every year, and this year isn't over.

I've actually heard good things about Rush and the Illini. Just as long as Weber knows he's a 1 and done kid without any chance of a sophomore season. Rush likes the scoring oppurtunities and has formed a bond with Dee Brown.

Well that's a big time alarm considering that's the reason they pulled out. If he can't make it at a low academic standard type school, he'd get put on prohibition within the first week. I heard Oklahoma had some harder standards than Illinois from someone on this board. Guess not. I know for a fact though that OU was afraid of his academics and he didn't qualify.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
Well that's a big time alarm considering that's the reason they pulled out. If he can't make it at a low academic standard type school, he'd get put on prohibition within the first week. I heard Oklahoma had some harder standards than Illinois from someone on this board. Guess not. I know for a fact though that OU was afraid of his academics and he didn't qualify.

There's a reason 99% of IU student's athletes are enrolled in HPER majors: they're simple as hell and ANYONE could pass those classes, especially intro level ones. Hopefully this guy comes to IU because I need good news before I go back to Bloomington other than, "You probably have mono!"

I'm not doubting that, I was just pointing out OU's past academic admissions. I would bet OU had another reason for the change in recruitment of Rush. Maybe he lost interest in their program, or maybe demanded playing time that Sampson wouldn't give, and academics was an easy excuse to stop recruiting him.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
I'm not doubting that, I was just pointing out OU's past academic admissions. I would bet OU had another reason for the change in recruitment of Rush. Maybe he lost interest in their program, or maybe demanded playing time that Sampson wouldn't give, and academics was an easy excuse to stop recruiting him.

I'm going to have to disagree. Many people had them #1 on his list of schools while the rest had them #2. He definately was high on their radar and vice versa. Even on draft night, they were talking about Brandon Rush and how he was going to go to IMG because his grades simply sucked and weren't good enough. That's why it was really really quiet for the past couple of months until this popped up.

I'm just going by what Brandon said in the past. Which is...

"Rush has said he had the grades and test scores to qualify for a scholarship. " according to a Scout article recently about his visit to Kansas which is taking place today.

Most of the time, if a recruit is good enough, somebody will take him in and find a way to qualify him. Thats why I doubt the academics excuse.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
I'm just going by what Brandon said in the past. Which is...

"Rush has said he had the grades and test scores to qualify for a scholarship. " according to a Scout article recently about his visit to Kansas which is taking place today.

Most of the time, if a recruit is good enough, somebody will take him in and find a way to qualify him. Thats why I doubt the academics excuse.

Maybe to that school. I believe scout.com was one of the sources saying he didn't make it academically to Oklahoma and he wouldn't for Illinois(hence him going to IMG).

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
Maybe to that school. I believe scout.com was one of the sources saying he didn't make it academically to Oklahoma and he wouldn't for Illinois(hence him going to IMG).

Much of the fear over whether Rush will qualify or not comes from the fact that a couple of schools he attended in HS no longer exist making it more difficult to get their records. From everything I've read and heard he has a qualifying GPA and SAT score.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
Much of the fear over whether Rush will qualify or not comes from the fact that a couple of schools he attended in HS no longer exist making it more difficult to get their records.  From everything I've read and heard he has a qualifying GPA and SAT score.

Thanks for the info. I hope he chooses Illinois because I know he would be great as a basketball player.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../508160404/1069

Top-20 recruit has interest in IU

Arthur, 6-9 forward from Dallas, places Hoosiers among 6 programs on final list.

By Jeff Rabjohns

[email protected]

Indiana University received more good news on the recruiting front Monday when one of the top uncommitted basketball players in the Class of 2006 put the Hoosiers on his final list.

Darrell Arthur, a highly recruited 6-9 forward from Dallas, has trimmed his college choices to Indiana, North Carolina, Kansas, Illinois, SMU and Baylor, his AAU coach said Monday.

Among the schools Arthur eliminated were Oklahoma, Connecticut and Arizona.

Ranked No. 19 in his class by rivals.com, Arthur has been a major target of IU coach Mike Davis since the middle of the summer.

Arthur's AAU coach, Jazzy Hartwell, said in a telephone interview from Texas he expects Arthur to make an official visit to Indiana.

"We're going to look at the calendar here soon," Hartwell said. "He's going to be up there."

Players are allowed five official visits, according to NCAA rules.

Hartwell said Davis has made a strong impression.

"I like coach Davis a lot; he's a great guy," Hartwell said. "Darrell's big thing is, is he going to be around a family atmosphere? With coach Davis, he really likes the family values atmosphere."

Making Arthur's final list is the second piece of good news for IU recruiting in the past week.

Brandon Rush, the 13th-ranked player in the Class of 2005, visited IU on Thursday and Friday. A 6-6 swingman, Rush is a major talent projected as an immediate starter in college.

Arthur has had a strong summer, starting with an impressive performance at the USA Basketball Youth Development Festival in June. Arthur averaged 12.2 points and 5.4 rebounds, playing on the same team as Lawrence North High School stars Greg Oden and Mike Conley.

IU gets transfer

Utah basketball player Richard Chaney is transferring to Indiana, Utah officials said.

Chaney, a 6-4 guard/forward, will have one season of eligibility remaining in 2006-07.

As a sophomore for the Utes, he started 31 games and averaged 9.7 points per game. Last season, bothered by a broken hand, he started 15 games and averaged 7.8 points.

Chaney played for IU assistant coach Kerry Rupp when Rupp coached Utah.

"Obviously, the timing of this is not great for us, but we will grant Richard his request," Utah coach Ray Giacoletti said. "We wish him the best of luck."