Despite Best Record, White Sox Still Have To Prove

Moose78

I think everyone has the mind set that the NY and Boston series are measuring sticks, that is, except our team. This team knows its good, it has faced the same opponents as the Twins and the other Major League teams and has had the best record far and away. Also, anything can happen in short series. 2000 was a fun year, and that Sox team put a whipping on the two dominant Major League teams when they swept the Yankees and Indians at their ballparks, but we all know what happened in October that year.

EDIT: Main point of the 2000 sweep story, it's about getting hot at the right time

Edited by 3 BeWareTheNewSox 5

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
Although I think it would be great to beat these good teams to shut the critics up,  I dont find it necessary to prove anything to anybody until October!!! :gosox3:  :gosoxretro: :gosox1:  :gosox4:

Exactly. When it comes down to it, you never prove anything till October. That's the only time it matters.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
Isn't it funny, when the Sox get on a roll, "well, we still have alot to prove, lets see what they can do in the playoffs" but when the Sox catch a bump in the road in the regular season, "This team still has alot to prove in the regular season"

Which is it????

it's the one where we lose every game from here on out silly

I think the real issue is somewhere in between. We need to play good and with intensity all the time to be a playoff and WS winner. The Red Sox and maybe the Yankees will be teams we can be reasonably certain will be there in the playoffs. We play good against the Yankees and crap out facing the Bosox. We have to beat them both. Now saying that I am hoping we are simply regrouping and if we play red hot in September and that stays with us through the playoffs then we will win, but we have to start getting the timely hitting and strong all around pitching and defense. We need to play with intensity. I will feel better if we beat the Carmines on Sunday. It will help also if we are all healthy.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
I think the real issue is somewhere in between. We need to play good and with intensity all the time to be a playoff and WS winner. The Red Sox and maybe the Yankees will be teams we can be reasonably certain will be there in the playoffs. We play good against the Yankees and crap out facing the Bosox. We have to beat them both. Now saying that I am hoping we are simply regrouping and if we play red hot in September and that stays with us through the playoffs then we will win, but we have to start getting the timely hitting and strong all around pitching and defense. We need to play with intensity. I will feel better if we beat the Carmines on Sunday. It will help also if we are all healthy.

Well Boston and the Oakland As are moneyball teams. Boston is the extreme version as they have a higher payroll and their high OBP high BA players also bang in lots of homers.

Our pitchers have had problems with these types of teams. They work the count, get you so you have to throw a fastball, then they murder the fastball.

We on the opposite are a very free swinging team, whose low OBP and low BA make us an easy mark. If we face good pitching we have a huge hurdle to overcome.

All this week has proven to me is our pitching can be outstanding, while our hitting still sucks. We got very very lucky to take 2 out of 3 against the yanks. Who goes into Yankee stadium and puts up 6 runs in 3 games and gets 2 wins. When we play in the cell this week we will see a big difference.

We will need to hit to survive round 1.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
7-16 this year vs. potential playoff teams

4-3 against the Angels.

10-3 against the Indians.

2-1 against the Yankees.

2-4 against the Red Sox.

2-7 against the A's.

That comes out to 20-18 against teams with a legitimate shot at the playoffs. I don't know where you got 7-16?

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 08:00 PM)
Although I think it would be great to beat these good teams to shut the critics up,  I dont find it necessary to prove anything to anybody until October!!! :gosox3:  :gosoxretro: :gosox1:  :gosox4:

I totally agree. Of course I'd feel a lot more confident about October if the Sox were having a better second half. Hopefully they end the season strong and not playing around .500.

Of course another hitter might make it easier to win a few games here and there.

Bob

I remember reading somewhere that the top (i.e. potential) teams in the AL essentially fell into two categories: run producers (i.e. Boston and New York) and run preventers (Pale Hose being an excellent example of this), and that the White Sox had dominated the other run preventers but sometimes struggled with run producers. And some teams' strategy can really cause problems for opposing pitchers---just look at the Red Sox beating up on the Cards pitching in the WS. A patient team can be very difficult for finesse pitchers.

That being said, I think the White Sox have all the elements to beat any team on any day, which is really all you can expect. If they get hot come October, look out.