Swap Adkins for a hitter

VAfan

I completely understand why the Sox want a long reliever, as it's a great way to save the bullpen in case of a blow out, etc.  The problem is that Adkins just isn't a good pitcher.  Ozzie did a fine job managing the bullpen tonight, and I agree he should have pulled Jenks after 2 innings.

Exactly. It's everything to do with having that extra pitcher, put whoever in that role, someone who can be the last man out of the pen. Totally agree that if you can get somebody better than Adkins to fill that role, do it. Apparantly they don't have someone better to fill that role.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
Adkins has had two appearances for a total of how 3.2 innings since August 1st, when he came up.  In that time, Carl Everett missed 5 games in a row (he pinch hit in the 5th game), and now Podsednik is about to go on the DL.  Ross Gload could have played every one of those games.

Instead, we've had 8 games of Timo Perez since July 31, 6 as a starter, in which he had a total of 3 hits in 22 ABs (until today, which was washed out). 

Now they are talking about bringing up Willie Harris to play LF.  It is insane.  Gload hit .320 last year in his 200+ ABs.  There is no Sox player close to that number.  Give the guy a chance.  If they want to bring up Harris too, and send Adkins down (with Gload taking Pods slot), then fine.  I'm not averse to having a pinch runner in a close game. 

But pay attention to who is of value.  An everyday replacement player or a pitcher who has pitched less than 4 innings in 2 weeks? 

Moreover, Ross Gload could actually have value in the postseason as the first lefty pinch hitter if they would cultivate him.  Jon Adkins has no chance of making the postseason roster. 

The only reason I can think of that this isn't happening is that Gload is in Ozzie's doghouse.  Does anyone know why???????

Adkins does need to go, we can't afford anymore losses, especially 16 innings, even though it was not all his fault. I just think the Sox are testing some players now during this stretch to see who can help them in October. Obviously Adkins didn't cut it and he should be gone.

In regards to Gload, there has to be more going on behind the scenes. I know Blum can play multiple positions, but the last thing we need is a .240 hitter with an OBP of .269 - that is just horrible.

This game was lost on our inability to drive in the runner from second with less than 2 outs. Inste ad of getting the big hits they popped up ala corpseball. Not by the bullpen or by Adkins. After 16 innings and you havent pushed a run across you deserve to get beat.

We couldnt hit Matt Guerrier for 4 innings. Thats sad.