Gamethread sunday vs sawx 8/14/05

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 12:16 AM)
Seriously, its not raining the tarp is OFF...  what the f***!!!

Maybe the field was too wet. If you remember Ozzie from last year's Cubs game, he despises having to play his guys on a wet field.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
Was it officially postponed like MLB.com says or Cancelled like COmcast and NESN say... BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

The game is postponed. From the sound of it, the game will be made up in early September.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 06:07 PM)
Sep 5th, 1 pm, in between two home games, ugh

I wouldn't be surprised if this had something to do with Espn not wanting a game going on during their Sunday game

I don't think that is possible. The red Sox would be playing 30 games in a row without a day off. I think the maximum they can do is 20 or 21 games without a day off.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
The only bad part about the Sox playing today:  2 hits for Timo in the leadoff spot equates to about 2 weeks worth of starts at the leadoff spot.

When that game got called, Timo lost 13 points off his batting average.

:headshake

QUOTE(whtsox13 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
I don't think that is possible.  The red Sox would be playing 30 games in a row without a day off.  I think the maximum they can do is 20 or 21 games without a day off.

If the red sox agree to it they can. We did it last year when we made up a game with philly.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
Got a sneaky feeling if boston was up 5-2 we would of found a way to play 5 :angry:

Once the lineup cards are handed in its up to the umps the red sox had absolutly no say in the matter.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
Once the lineup cards are handed in its up to the umps the red sox had absolutly no say in the matter.

The umps have the final say, yes.

BUT... All teams have a head groundskeeper/weather expert. The umpires are advised by these experts as to what the incoming weather looks like. They make a recommendation to the umps, based on playing conditions, incoming weather, and yes, even the game situation. -- Considering who employs this expert, don't you think there is a little incentive for the game to be called?

It's not called home field advatage for nothing.

At 7:00, there's no doubt in my mind that the field was unplayable. There was a large gap prior to then without any rainfall, however. Now I've heard that there was lots of lightening in the area during that time, and I can't speak for that, nor could I describe the field conditions at that time, but I suspect that if the Red Sox were leading they would have found a way to get those final outs in before the heavy stuff hit.

---

Had the same weather conditions happened at Comiskey, they would have gotten at least 5 in for sure. Fenway and Wrigley are dumps. Piss in the OF and it's flooded.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:00 AM)
Had the same weather conditions happened at Comiskey, they would have gotten at least 5 in for sure. Fenway and Wrigley are dumps. Piss in the OF and it's flooded.

Not to mention it was covered in sand for the Stones concert.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:00 AM)
At 7:00, there's no doubt in my mind that the field was unplayable. There was a large gap prior to then without any rainfall, however. Now I've heard that there was lots of lightening in the area during that time, and I can't speak for that, nor could I describe the field conditions at that time, but I suspect that if the Red Sox were leading they would have found a way to get those final outs in before the heavy stuff hit.

At 4:30 the field was unplayable. I question if it was playable at 2:15. That rain came down fast and hard. There was a lake in center field. The grounds crew there are extremely slow and appear to not have any clue what they are doing - although I'm sure I'm spoiled by Bossard and crew and might be being a bit over critical. And you heard right about the lightening. The storms were so bad that flights were cancelled and delayed all night. We didn't get home until 3:30 this morning.

By the way.. Boston sucked. That park is worse than I remembered. The fans we encountered were rude, rude, rude. Yesterday we had a Cub fan sitting behind us who did nothing but talk all about the Sox.. the Sox players, the park, the owner, etc, etc... Finally, after he was giving the Red Sox fan next to him some bad info, I turned around and corrected him, and he tried to argue with me.. :rolly to which I responded with "why if you're a Cubs fan are you spending the day talking about the White Sox.. isn't your team playing today..?" The Red Sox fan laughed.. never heard another peep from the Cub fan. Saw a lot of Cub fans out there which made absoultely no sense to me. Even less sense was the amount of $$ people pay for tickets there. On our way in both Saturday and yesterday we heard people buying SRO tickets for over $150 each. SRO is at the top of the steps, and with the roof overhang you can not see anything hit in the air. And it's cramped, stuffy, and no air circulation, concessions are shoved together - and the food is icky, bathrooms suck and are not adequate. A lot of people passed out both days. Overall Jim is glad he got to see the park. One more reason to be thankful when writing our ST check in February. Probably will never go back there though.

You have to remember that Cubs fans are so desperate for attention that they have this stupid 'sister-team' relationship with the Red Sox. Especially since the Bo-Sox won the WS last year, Cub fans feel like somehow they are a part of that too.

I like Fenway and I had no problems with Red Sox fans. They are very, very curious about everything Chicago.

Sorry it sucked for you.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
I like Fenway and I had no problems with Red Sox fans. They are very, very curious about everything Chicago.

Sorry it sucked for you.

Not all of them. Some of them.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
By the way.. Boston sucked. That park is worse than I remembered. The fans we encountered were rude, rude, rude. Yesterday we had a Cub fan sitting behind us who did nothing but talk all about the Sox.. the Sox players, the park, the owner, etc, etc... Finally, after he was giving the Red Sox fan next to him some bad info, I turned around and corrected him, and he tried to argue with me..  :rolly  to which I responded with "why if you're a Cubs fan are you spending the day talking about the White Sox.. isn't your team playing today..?" The Red Sox fan laughed.. never heard another peep from the Cub fan. Saw a lot of Cub fans out there which made absoultely no sense to me. Even less sense was the amount of $$ people pay for tickets there. On our way in both Saturday and yesterday we heard people buying SRO tickets for over $150 each. SRO is at the top of the steps, and with the roof overhang you can not see anything hit in the air. And it's cramped, stuffy, and no air circulation, concessions are shoved together - and the food is icky, bathrooms suck and are not adequate. A lot of people passed out both days. Overall Jim is glad he got to see the park. One more reason to be thankful when writing our ST check in February. Probably will never go back there though.

These s***head Cub fans are everywhere. I was at Miller Park saturday night and saw quite a few Cub fans. I was a little tipsy and talked some s*** to one of them.

So to summarize steff, Fenway is 'Urinal #2'?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
Steff, Fenway is bossard's field though.  Wonder why the drainage system didnt quite work like at the Cell.  From what I remember he completely re-did the field and installed his drainage system.

Because they had dumped 15 truckloads of sand on the field for the upcomming Stones concert there. Also Bossard did not install "his system" there. he made improvements to their existing system. To install his that field would have to be tore up completely. From what some fans around us said it's better than it used to be. But the rain came so fast, so maybe that was part of the problem. All I know is they were dumbfounded. Using portable pumps to get the water off the warning track and from behind the plate.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
These s***head Cub fans are everywhere.  I was at Miller Park saturday night and saw quite a few Cub fans.  I was a little tipsy and talked some s*** to one of them.

So to summarize steff, Fenway is 'Urinal #2'?

From what we saw.. I agree with that description. I know there were "good" fans there.. but the idiots were definitely making sure their voices were heard both days. One thing that bothered me... the ticket selling out side the park.. specifically over by the bowling alley.. those were ST holders (or claiming to be) and at least a dozen times Jim and I heard several of them trying to get upwards of $500 over face for their tickets. I was really shocked by that. And even after the game started they were still trying to get a lot for them. The street that's next to the park during games is considered part of the park and during the rain delay yesterday we went out there and right by the entrance they were still hawking tickets. I'm so glad we had a connection. Otherwise we would have just watched from a bar.