Gamethread sunday vs sawx 8/14/05

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
We'll only find out if we give him a shot.  I'm sure you agree that it'd be better to give Owens a shot if Scotty is out for a while instead of leading Pablo and Timo off every game.

Knowing my beliefs like you do, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion? :P

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
It's pretty obvious we're putting Pods on the DL.

thats not 100%

I'd still rather not bring up a AA guy with no expirience. Just put Pablo at leadoff and dont bring up this owens unless pablo sucks majorly.

The other issue is, Owens is not on the 40 man. If they bring him up, someone has to be outrighted, they are at 40 as we speak.

Logical candidate is Matt Smith, unless they can somehow move Borchard.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
thats not 100%

I'd still rather not bring up a AA guy with no expirience. Just put Pablo at leadoff and dont bring up this owens unless pablo sucks majorly.

You want Pablo playing everyday in LF? I sure don't. And by reading everything Ozzie has said about Pods, it's like he's trying to convince himself it's the right move to shut him down now. If they do DL him, they better be sure that they have a logical replacement for the next two weeks. It's way too early to take the foot off of the accelerator though.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
Another interesting thing to consider, Chris Young hit leadoff for Birmingham last nite.  Could mean nothing.

Good point. Now that would be an interesting call up, personally I'd rather have Owens get the call this year before Young to leadoff.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
You want Pablo playing everyday in LF?  I sure don't.  And by reading everything Ozzie has said about Pods, it's like he's trying to convince himself it's the right move to shut him down now.  If they do DL him, they better be sure that they have a logical replacement for the next two weeks.  It's way too early to take the foot off of the accelerator though.

You put everett in left field and you could just DH ozuna (ozuna is a pathetic fielder at any position).

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
The other issue is, Owens is not on the 40 man.  If they bring him up, someone has to be outrighted, they are at 40 as we speak.

Logical candidate is Matt Smith, unless they can somehow move Borchard.

Frank to the 60-day works much easier...

Also, Wing has to be the first one removed, other than Borchard.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
You put everett in left field and you could just DH ozuna (ozuna is a pathetic fielder at any position).

You put Everett in the OF, and you're just asking for a more serious injury. He's definitely lumbering when he tries to run. Also, you need to get offensive production from your DH. If you don't, you're putting yourself at a big disadvantage against other teams.

Just logged on and see the game is delayed by rain. Maybe it will get rained out. I see the top of the 1st went like several of the last Sox games. Runner in scoring position and we groundout for out #3.

Peronally if we bring someone up to replace Pods on the 15 day DL I think it should be Willie or even Joe Borchard. Both have ML experience with the big club. You don't bring up a AA rookie and stick him in the middle of a pennant race. He ain't going to stay anyway and you waste an option and also with Owens you create a problem on the 40 player roster.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
You put Everett in the OF, and you're just asking for a more serious injury.  He's definitely lumbering when he tries to run.  Also, you need to get offensive production from your DH.  If you don't, you're putting yourself at a big disadvantage against other teams.

Yeah..

we could bring up gload.. DH konerko, put gload at 1B, and Everett in LF. I really dont want to bring up a AA guy. Just because he's hitting .340 in AA doesnt mean s*** in the majors. Willie Harris hit like .400 in AAA. That didnt work at all.

Frank to the 60-day works much easier...

Also, Wing has to be the first one removed, other than Borchard.

Yes, Frank to the 60 day is easier.

On Borchard, I was referring to recent trade rumors, but I think he'll stay put for now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
You put Everett in the OF, and you're just asking for a more serious injury.  He's definitely lumbering when he tries to run.  Also, you need to get offensive production from your DH.  If you don't, you're putting yourself at a big disadvantage against other teams.

Carl is adequate in the OF and would be better than what I saw from Ozuna last night. Pablo should never have been out there in LF

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
Carl is adequate in the OF and would be better than what I saw from Ozuna last night. Pablo should never have been out there in LF

Right now Carl is not running very well, so i would not let him set one foot in the OF

Well, I'm definitely on the keep Everett at DH bandwagon. If Pods goes on the DL, the subsequent move by KW and Ozzie will tell me a lot about them. If they call up Willie, and just put him on the bench while Timo plays LF, then our offense deserves to continue to suck.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)

Pablo was actually pretty damn good in left field during spring training. I guess you an expect a bit of a dropoff when this is what his 2nd time playing left this year?

What's missing in all this discussion is what Ozzie wants, he said he wanted a leadoff hitter. If that's to be believed, then it's either trade for somebody, or Owens, or put somebody at the top who's not used to being there.

My sense is Ozzie wants an OBP guy.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
HE'S STILL HURT!

Hurt or not Carl IS playing and will give it his all. Anyway hurt or not he is still beter than what I saw Ozuna do last night. So there!! :D

In addition I don't we should be so quick to want to see Borchard gone. He might finally be finding it down there in AAA and next year could be that 4th OF'er/DH type we need.