We better keep Konerko, his numbers are just as...

maggsmaggs

I was a big proponent of getting rid of Kong after the year because of his opposite Ozzie ball approach. that was a month ago, now I want to keep him. His numbers are better than last year. Better OPB, OPS. Worse AVE. So overall, his numbers are better. His strike outs are down also this year. Only 7 GIDP, as opposed to last year's 23. Granted he could be a better situational hitter, but his fielding is second to none in the AL. He is the best hitter on the FA market, which is prety bad. But, he is one of the faces of the Sox and a team leader. Finally, at first base, he is a top 5 first baseman overall: Lee, Pujols, Teixeira, Kong and either Delgado or Sexson. Discuss? Who still wants to keep him.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a big proponent of getting rid of Kong after the year because of his opposite Ozzie ball approach.  that was a month ago, now I want to keep him.  His numbers are better than last year.  Better OPB, OPS.  Worse AVE.  So overall, his numbers are better.  His strike outs are down also this year.  Only 7 GIDP, as opposed to last year's 23.  Granted he could be a better situational hitter, but his fielding is second to none in the AL.  He is the best hitter on the FA market, which is prety bad.  But, he is one of the faces of the Sox and a team leader.  Finally, at first base, he is a top 5 first baseman overall: Lee, Pujols, Teixeira, Kong and either Delgado or Sexson.  Discuss?  Who still wants to keep him.

If he disappears in October again, you let him go make his 10 Mill per elsewhere without giving it a second thought.

If he swings a hot stick in October, then you give it a second thought and you let him go make his 12-13 Mill per elsewhere.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)
^^^^

This is what I am hoping for. I would do a sign & trade of PK for Overbay...

The only reason the Brewers would trade Overbay would be because they have Prince Fielder (a 1B prospect who they think will be better than Overbay) in the minors. They don't need another 1Bman, they'd have NO interest in Konerko.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
The only reason the Brewers would trade Overbay would be because they have Prince Fielder (a 1B prospect who they think will be better than Overbay) in the minors. They don't need another 1Bman, they'd have NO interest in Konerko.

With no DH in NL ......I agree no interest in PK

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)

Completely slipped my mind. You are indeed correct. Any idea of what they would want. My guess would be a SP or a top SP prospect and maybe a IF prospect.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
Completely slipped my mind. You are indeed correct. Any idea of what they would want. My guess would be a SP or a top SP prospect and maybe a IF prospect.

No IF prospects, they are absolutely loaded. They'd probably want a top SP prospect and I've heard a lot of talk of them wanting a top CF prospect, so a guy like Brian Anderson.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
No IF prospects, they are absolutely loaded. They'd probably want a top SP prospect and I've heard a lot of talk of them wanting a top CF prospect, so a guy like Brian Anderson.

Anderson and BMac for Overbay? Sounds a bit steep but I would do it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
I'd throw up.  I'd rather have Chad Tracy.

I dont know much about Tracy. I know a lot of people here like him more than Overbay and with Connor Jackson coming up for them, I doubt they will be needing him much. I understand he plays 3B as well.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 05:54 PM)
I dont know much about Tracy. I know a lot of people here like him more than Overbay and with Connor Jackson coming up for them, I doubt they will be needing him much. I understand he plays 3B as well.

He plays 3b....but not very well.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)

Tracy can play 3B (not very good), he can play 1B and right now they have him in RF. They don't want to unload him especially now that they have signed Tony Clark to an extension so he'll be getting a lot of time at 1B so Conor Jackson is out of a job, seeing how he is brutal defensively. You could get either Tracey or Jackson with a nice package, which would be less costly than Overbay.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
Way to steep. MAYBE put Tracy in the deal insted of Brandon, and maybe I would bite, but maybe not even then.

I'd do Tracey/Anderson for Overbay without hesitating. Keeping BMac and still having Sweeney/Owens/Young in the minors would be fabulous.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
Way to steep. MAYBE put Tracy in the deal insted of Brandon, and maybe I would bite, but maybe not even then.

I'd rather have Chad Tracy to begin with. He can play somewhere other than 1st if necessary (although I'd rather have him at 1st all the time), has more power, can still hit for average and is developing and improving eye.

Tracy right now: .293 AVG, .343 OBP, .878 OPS, 18 HR, 46 RBI's.

He only has 351 AB's and is projected over his full season to hit 25 HRs and knock in 63. However, if he had a normal amount of AB's in a full season (around 600), he'd have over 30 HR's and is just 25 years old and making the league minimum.

Seems like everyone thinks the Dbacks are more willing to get rid of him too. I'd consider dealing Duque and a good prospect (Dbacks seem interested in picking up some more pitching) or even Duque and Marte for him, opening up some room for McCarthy in the 5th starters spot (and believe me, the Sox think quite highly of Brandon) and than free up a few more million bucks to add a reliever to replace Marte (who I think has found the doghouse).

Plus Tracy swings the stick from the left side of the plate and the Sox would still have the option of resigning Konerko and you could have Konerko DH at times as well, Crede could get the ocassional DH spot and Tracy would get tons of Ab's. It would be way better than dealing for Overbay cause I think Tracy will be the superior player as well.

I'd rather have Chad Tracy to begin with.  He can play somewhere other than 1st if necessary (although I'd rather have him at 1st all the time), has more power, can still hit for average and is developing and improving eye. 

Tracy right now: .293 AVG, .343 OBP, .878 OPS, 18 HR, 46 RBI's. 

He only has 351 AB's and is projected over his full season to hit 25 HRs and knock in 63.  However, if he had a normal amount of AB's in a full season (around 600), he'd have over 30 HR's and is just 25 years old and making the league minimum. 

Seems like everyone thinks the Dbacks are more willing to get rid of him too.  I'd consider dealing Duque and a good prospect (Dbacks seem interested in picking up some more pitching) or even Duque and Marte for him, opening up some room for McCarthy in the 5th starters spot (and believe me, the Sox think quite highly of Brandon) and than free up a few more million bucks to add a reliever to replace Marte (who I think has found the doghouse). 

Plus Tracy swings the stick from the left side of the plate and the Sox would still have the option of resigning Konerko and you could have Konerko DH at times as well, Crede could get the ocassional DH spot and Tracy would get tons of Ab's.  It would be way better than dealing for Overbay cause I think Tracy will be the superior player as well.

Tracey is a good option. Cheap, too.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:59 AM)
I'd do Tracey/Anderson for Overbay without hesitating. Keeping BMac and still having Sweeney/Owens/Young in the minors would be fabulous.

Of course you would, Doug Melvin would be laughing though. The Brewers don't need OF's although that's what a lot of people believe. They already have Carlos Lee, Geoff Jenkins (who's been crushing the ball lately) and Brady Clark. Then they have Nelson Cruz hammering in AAA ball and Dave Krynzel as well.

The Brewers are basically set for the next 5 years, they're set-up in a wonderful position and could very well win the wild - card in 2006. What do they need? Good relievers, to help the likes of Derrick Turnbow.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 06:54 AM)
What is overpaying for .260 40 HR and 110 RBI in the post steroid era?

Konerko is a COMPLETELY one-dimensional player, and next year he will probably be an extremely overpaid one JUST because of home run totals.

Any ground ball is an insta-double play. He constantly clogs up the basepaths for the hitters behind him. He's serviceable, but not remarkable defensively. He's streaky to a maddening extent, and much, much worse with runners in scoring position/in clutch situations.

Do you ever remember Konerko hitting a game winning homer or hit? I can't in recent memory but it's early monday morning so maybe I'm just wrong.

In his early-mid 20s, he was consistently a .290-.300 hitter with 25-30 homers. For the last three seasons, he hasn't cracked .280, and .277 in '04 seems like the top of his threshold since he's turned into a pure slugger. Except for maybe 5-10 extra home runs and maybe 10-15 RBIs AT BEST, what are you getting out of Konerko that you couldn't get out of literally ANY other major league first baseman?

I appreciate everything he has done in the past several seasons, but we could get a first baseman that could hit 20-30 home runs and have 80-90 RBIs for much, much less and go out and get even more help with the extra cash.