"The" Griffey Rumor

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
That would be a NO.  Here's the zone rating of all major league CFs.  Notice that Rowand is #2, and Griffey is dead last.  Sure, Griffey could fill in for Pods while he's on the DL (if he goes), or spell Dye like Everett does, but he's a DH, plain and simple. 

Jeremy Reed, Sea .950

Aaron Rowand, CWS .930

Grady Sizemore, Cle .923

Vernon Wells, Tor .919

David DeJesus, KC .917

Nook Logan, Det .907

Corey Patterson, ChC .903

Brady Clark, Mil .896

Torii Hunter, Min  .891

Andruw Jones, Atl .890

Jim Edmonds, StL .889

Brad Wilkerson, Was .888

Carlos Beltran, NYM .880

Juan Pierre, Fla .872

Johnny Damon, Bos .872

Preston Wilson, Was/Col .867

Willy Taveras, Hou .854

Mark Kotsay, Oak .850

Steve Finley, LAA .845

Ken Griffey Jr., Cin .821

interesting list, funny that kotsay is so far down the list, being a beane guy and all. at any rate imo zone rating is extremely valuable in terms of stats, and this is enough reason in itself to say rowand should play over jr.........................wtf..im talking about jr like hes on the team. lets wait and see what happens first

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)
Do you want to keep Griffey healthy?  Almost every injury he has had is because of his defensive aggresiveness.

Griffey Jr. is healthy right now, Everett isn't. I also think that Griffey Jr.'s pride might be serverly hurt if he becomes a DH.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)
For those 2 weeks while Scotty is on the DL?  FOR SURE.  Defensively Griffey is far superior.  However, that upgrade in LF does not justify the injury risk that there would be for those 2 weeks.  Griffey would be brought here SOLELY because of his bat.  To put that in jepardy would be a mistake.

Everett isn't 100 pct in regards to running.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
Griffey shouldn't be used in left because the corner outfield is harder on the hammy's. I'd play him in center pretty often and DH him a bit too

i know that hte hammy thing has been floated around alot, but is this really even true? can someone please explain to my why its harder on the hammy to play left than cneter????? seems like to me the muscles being used in both positions are the same

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
I loved wrestiling figures.  I had the ring and everything, even some belts.

And not those big ones either.  The ones that were made of hard plastic and about four-five inches tall were the best.

The Hasbro Figures > than the giant Rubber ones.

The rubber thumbs ones were stupid too.

I remember going Toys R Us one day and dropping $100 on Nerf s***.

Let's get Griffey to he can autograph one of my three bow and arrows.

Trust me, I'm not saying Griffey should be in CF over Rowand. However, how many times do you see a situation where a superstar is brought in, and he changes from the position where he was a star at for his entire career? It would be like acquiring Omar Vizquel, and we expected him to play 2b or 3b.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
Griffey Jr. is healthy right now, Everett isn't.  I also think that Griffey Jr.'s pride might be serverly hurt if he becomes a DH.

If Griffey thinks he's coming here to play CF most of the time, he's dense. He sees Frank is down and Aaron is a Gold Glove candidate. I have a hard time believing Jr. would be shocked and offended if he was the full-time DH if he accepted a trade here.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:17 AM)
If Griffey thinks he's coming here to play CF most of the time, he's dense.  He sees Frank is down and Aaron is a Gold Glove candidate.  I have a hard time believing Jr. would be shocked and offended if he was the full-time DH if he accepted a trade here.

There's not a manager in baseball who would play Everett in the field over Griffey Jr. Griffey Jr. on his worst night is better in the field than Everett is on his best night.

As far as the reason for this thread....I highly doubt BRUUUUCE Levine has any news to report on the Griffey rumor. I've been listening to the Score for the past hour or so and they have nothing new to say. I doubt Bruce has some confidential news to share.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
As far as the reason for this thread....I highly doubt BRUUUUCE Levine has any news to report on the Griffey rumor.  I've been listening to the Score for the past hour or so and they have nothing new to say.  I doubt Bruce has some confidential news to share.

The Score doesn't know s***.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
There's not a manager in baseball who would play Everett in the field over Griffey Jr.  Griffey Jr. on his worst night is better in the field than Everett is on his best night.

If Griffey's role is to be the full-time DH, I could very well see Ozzie doing just that. Has he not proven that he will play guys out of position and create some wacky lineups just to keep certain guys in their roles? I don't see Ozzie moving Aaron. Everett is a corner OF. Griffey is not. Even for Griffey, Aaron is too far superior in CF and the DH spot is open. Besides this might be a moot point as this trade if it happens at all, could happen when Pods gets healthy.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
As far as the reason for this thread....I highly doubt BRUUUUCE Levine has any news to report on the Griffey rumor.  I've been listening to the Score for the past hour or so and they have nothing new to say.  I doubt Bruce has some confidential news to share.

They ran an interview between Griffey and Bruce earlier today on ESPN 1000.

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
The Score doesn't know s***.

Well if Bruce had some breaking news why didn't they mention it at the 6PM Sportsnite show? Instead they told us to tune in at 10PM for Bruce's news. To me that means there is no news.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:24 AM)
They ran an interview between Griffey and Bruce earlier today on ESPN 1000.

That was probably the interview from earlier in the week when the Reds were at Wrigley. I'm not sure where this rumor came from, but there's nothing that makes me think Levine has a clue what's going on with the White Sox.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
I am sure this is just a tease to get more viewers for the 10 o clock show.

It will probably just be a lot of "what Bruce thinks is going to happen."

I'm sadly thinking the same, guess we'll know soon enough.

If we somehow got Griffey, what would be our best (playoff) lineup? Someone would have to sit during the playoffs which would be unfortunate. I figure you can't bench Pods because of speed, A-Row because of defense, Griffey's bat couldn't start on the bench. That leave's either Everett or Dye of which I think Everett would win by a bit IMO. What do you guys think?

QUOTE(agame @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:48 AM)
If we somehow got Griffey, what would be our best (playoff) lineup?  Someone would have to sit during the playoffs which would be unfortunate.  I figure you can't bench Pods because of speed, A-Row because of defense, Griffey's bat couldn't start on the bench.  That leave's either Everett or Dye of which I think Everett would win by a bit IMO.  What do you guys think?

Everett would be on the bench in that case. If you're facing a tough righty like Clement, then Dye would sit. Also, who's to say Pods gets close to 100 pct again this season?

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
Griffey is alot better fielder than Pods or Everett, Hawk sounds stupid when he says where would he play nonsense. Lets get Griffey..........NOW :gosox1:

Griffey in CF is better than Pods or Carl in LF, but with no experience in LF, we really don't know how Jr. would adjust to LF and i dont know if that is something Ozzie/KW will want to do while we are charging for the pennant. Carl/Pods in LF, Aaron in CF, and Dye in RF w/ Jr. at DH is the best lineup...

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:50 AM)
Griffey in CF is better than Pods or Carl in LF, but with no experience in LF, we really don't know how Jr. would adjust to LF and i dont know if that is something Ozzie/KW will want to do while we are charging for the pennant.  Carl/Pods in LF, Aaron in CF, and Dye in RF w/ Jr. at DH is the best lineup...

Everett at less than 100 pct in the outfield is a recipe for disaster or an injury. If he does play more than a few games in the outfield while he's still not 100 pct., then we might not have to worry about who would play in the playoffs.