"The" Griffey Rumor

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Red's fansite:

No confirmation, or backup resources but a fan over there is saying:

I did pick up at work, that with the Griffey-to-White Sox fires getting fanned some more with the Scott Podsednik injury, word is out and about that Carl Lindner told his "baseball people" if they really think trading Griffey is best for the team, he would give his blessing to it....

Redszone

Take it for what its worth.

SFF

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Edmonds has also won 7 gold gloves. What exactly is your point. You're comparing Aaron Rowand to some of the best defensive players of all time.

Hey you know who else is better than Rowand, Willie Mays.

Edmonds WAS better then Aaron defensively, not anymore imo. Aaron gets better jumps and reads to the ball where as Edmonds makes a lot of easy plays look like web gems but then again he still will make an amazing catch. Overall Aaron is a better defender then Edmonds at this point in their careers.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
From the Red's fansite:

Redszone

SFF

When the Reds COO Allen and the GM both agreed to trade Griffey, that means the head money man and the head baseball guy thought the trade was in the best interests of the Reds. I can see the owner, an old guy in 80's, follow the advice of his "baseball people" and allow his people to get something done.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
From the Red's fansite:

Redszone

SFF

Reading stuff like that puts a smile on my face :)

For a while I was saying to myself it wasnt gonna happen, now I am starting to believe it will. Cubs Levine was saying it wasnt going to happen, now that he thinks it will happen, im starting to think that the baseball people are starting to talk about. If some of those guys are talking about it, something has to be happening a little bit. At least thats how my mind works. ;)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
Honel :D

I'd trade Hernandez, though, too. He hasn't proven anything above the rookie leagues. Heck, I think he didn't even do very well in Kanny when they tried him up there. Not to say he won't be good, but it'll be at least another two-three years before he even cracks a big league roster.

I don't know why they'd want Honel. They could have had him for nothing earlier in the season when he was taken off the 40-man. Don't see how he can be any part of a package for Griffey...

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
Would this be a possibility. Say we do get KGJ in a trade and then we have an extra outfielder. Anderson would go down when pods gets back, and we could get rid of timo somehow and KGJ would take timos place.

Timo's here for the long haul, don't get excited.

Edmonds WAS better then Aaron defensively, not anymore imo.  Aaron gets better jumps and reads to the ball where as Edmonds makes a lot of easy plays look like web gems but then again he still will make an amazing catch.  Overall Aaron is a better defender then Edmonds at this point in their careers.

Ok, Aaron went from having some of the worst instincts from a CF in the game (2002) to being a Gold Glover? Seriously?

Reality being what it is, Aaron brings the following to the table: good jumps, average closing speed, average at best hands, above average arm strenght but mediocre accuracy. He has improved and now is a good def. outfielder. But not a Gold Glover - there is nothing he is great at. Watch Hunter, Andruw, younger Edmonds play and you'll see what I am talking about.

Griffey? Could still be a decent corner OF, but, man, is it going to be scary watching him dive/bang, knowing that some 40 Million are on the line.

Edited by Mr. Chairman

QUOTE(Mr. Chairman @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
Ok, Aaron went from having some of the worst instincts from a CF in the game (2002) to being a Gold Glover? Seriously?

Reality is such, Aaron bringsthe following to the table:  good jumps, average closing speed, average at best hands, above average arm strenght but mediocre accuracy.    He has improved and now is a good def. outfielder.  But not a Gold Glover - there is nothing he is great at. Watch Hunter, Andruw, younger Edmonds play and you'll see what I am talking about.

Griffey?  Could still be a decent corner OF, but, man, is it going to be scary watching him dive/bang, knowing that some 40 Million are on the line.

If the Sox did land Griffey, he wouldn't play hardly any corner OF at all. Maybe a little but you wouldn't see more than 4 games out there for him. He'd play DH exclusively and occationally play some CF.

LF/RF wrench the s*** out of an OFers legs, that's why guys like J.D. Drew want to play exclusively in CF, the angle you have to take in the corner OF puts too much torque on your legs.

On Sportsnite tonite the Sox beat reporter said that KW said during his interview that they basically have the trade out there, and they have done as best as they possibly can, and its up to the other side to decide to do it or not.

Kenny going through the media?

QUOTE(Mr. Chairman @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)

Reality being what it is, Aaron brings the following to the table:  good jumps, average closing speed, average at best hands, above average arm strenght but mediocre accuracy.    He has improved and now is a good def. outfielder.  But not a Gold Glover - there is nothing he is great at. Watch Hunter, Andruw, younger Edmonds play and you'll see what I am talking about.

Griffey?  Could still be a decent corner OF, but, man, is it going to be scary watching him dive/bang, knowing that some 40 Million are on the line.

Younger Edmonds, yes. But not now. He gets awful jumps and reads on the ball. BTW, I'd say Aaron Rowand gets great jumps. There's only one guy who I've seen do it better this year (get great jumps), and that's Mark Kotsay.

Andruw Jones? Dude, what the hell is that? You can make an arguement that Jones is the best defensive centerfielder ever, and I certainly don't think it's fair to compare ANYONE to Jones.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
If the Sox did land Griffey, he wouldn't play hardly any corner OF at all. Maybe a little but you wouldn't see more than 4 games out there for him. He'd play DH exclusively and occationally play some CF.

LF/RF wrench the s*** out of an OFers legs, that's why guys like J.D. Drew want to play exclusively in CF, the angle you have to take in the corner OF puts too much torque on your legs.

I think Drew is the only person to think that. Your hamstrings are worked the same play any OF position. There are many times in CF in which you have to run hard all the way back or all the way forward. In fact, I would say playing CF takes more toll on your legs and hammy's than playing the other OF positions if anything. I guess since JD Drew says it, it must be true.

I also agree with Mr. Chairman's thoughts on Aaron Rowand.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
On Sportsnite tonite the Sox beat reporter said that KW said during his interview that they basically have the trade out there, and they have done as best as they possibly can, and its up to the other side to decide to do it or not.

Kenny going through the media?

Also said KW doesn't think any move will be done within the next 2 and a half weeks.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
FWIW, Borchard is not in the lineup tonight for the Knights.  You know what that means!

He has a day off? :huh It would be aweful hard to trade him and now that Anderson is up with the big club there's no way Borch would be called up as well. Maybe Borch threw a hissy fit when Anderson was called up over him and now he's getting the night off, though that doesn't sound like something he would do. It's probably just a night off, don't think too much of it.

Good point re: torque, but I speaking of what he is capable of handling range-wise should Sox need a LF. Not CF, IMO..