"The" Griffey Rumor

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
Sometime in the next 3 years... Just by that statement... he isnt close to a gold Glove?  Give me Anderson the future CF of the White Sox or Young.

yeah youre right. id also rather have young or anderson...ya know...cuz they have been wayyyy closer to winning a gold glove in the majors than rowand

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:19 AM)
Ha what? I didn't say I wanted A-Row out of the lineup or out of CF. He's very solid in the OF, but he is not a gold glover IMHO. He's made nice plays for 3 games against the Yanks. He doesn't do that type of stuff every game which seperates good defensive OF's from GG'ers.

Yup.

Having a Gold Glove means everything.

I mean, Derek Jeter has at least one Gold Glove -- I think several -- and that CERTAINLY means he's better than a guy like Juan Uribe defensively.

Right?

GMAFB. Mark Kotsay and Aaron Rowand are the two best defensive CFers currently playing in the AL, and if neither of them wins it, it will be a f***ing sham.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
Potential gold glover ?... gold glovers dont misjudge balls .. Rowand has done that allot this year.  great series vs Yankees.. Gold Glovers do it every series.

I'm way late on this post but... :banghead

FWIW...

Sox tab Anderson over Griffey—for now

Reds' OF still option as Podsednik hits DL

By Dave van Dyck

Tribune staff reporter

August 15, 2005, 11:09 PM CDT

Life in the runaway lane is a good one for the White Sox: Knowing you're good enough to rest for the future but believing you're never good enough to get better for the future.

Their double-digit lead in the American League Central Division allowed them to put valuable leadoff hitter Scott Podsednik on the disabled list Monday and bring in a new outfielder.

The outfielder was minor-leaguer Brian Anderson, a potential star.

It was not Ken Griffey Jr., a star for the very immediate future, if Cincinnati's ownership would agree to a proposal the Sox reportedly have made.

A major-league source confirmed Griffey has cleared waivers and that the Sox have offered at least a pair of minor-league hitters for the future Hall of Famer, but the very top of the Reds organization has refused to let Griffey leave and swallow a substantial portion of Griffey's contract, which runs through 2008.

While Sox general manager Ken Williams waits for a return call from Cincinnati, which some insiders doubt will come, he plugged Podsednik's outfield spot with Plan B.

That would be Anderson, the organization's top outfield prospect and first-round draft pick from 2003, who was hitting .295 with 23 doubles, 15 homers and 54 RBIs in 111 games at Triple-A Charlotte.

Anderson won't bat leadoff—that role will be filled by Timo Perez, Tadahito Iguchi and Aaron Rowand—but his bubbly personality should fit flawlessly with the already-loose Sox.

"He plays the game the right way," Williams said. "He plays the game the way our guys here have all year. Our coaches are familiar with him and he's familiar with the way we go about our business and the work ethic we expect. I expect him to have a little fun and I expect the people sitting in the seats to enjoy watching him play."

Anderson, a middle-of-the-lineup center fielder who will have to adjust to left field, can't possibly fill Podsednik's shoes. But then no one can, because his 54 stolen bases lead the majors. It's just that Podsednik's strained groin has slowed him to the point where he has been caught on nine of his last 13 attempts after swiping 22 straight.

And that's the luxury of having a large lead and being able to look ahead, saving an ultra-important offensive piece for 15 days just so he will be completely healthy for the playoffs.

"In a different situation, we probably could have pushed it with him and he could have competed," Williams said. "But he obviously was not operating on all cylinders and it was important for us to finish strong ... and get through September completely healthy."

"It's been nagging at me for quite some time," Podsednik said. "It got to the point where it affected my running [for] about three weeks."

Anderson, 23, was aglow at reporting for his first major-league duty, even though he is not expected to be a regular.

"That's totally fine with me, I'm just glad to be here," he said. "I'll take what they give me."

Manager Ozzie Guillen said Anderson could play more than most rookies "because we want to see what we have and if he can play at this level."

Even though the Sox have the division all but won, it doesn't mean Williams is giving up his infatuation with Griffey.

Why does Williams want Griffey, who makes $12.5 million a year and is 35 years old, even though it would cost him two principal prospects in outfielder Chris Young and first baseman Casey Rogowski?

Griffey's big bat would replace that of Frank Thomas, who is gone for the rest of the season and perhaps forever. And Griffey bats left-handed, where the Sox believe they are short because Carl Everett's average is hovering around .240 from that side of the plate.

Plus, Griffey would allow the Sox to have a rotating outfield/DH system, which would keep Podsednik, Everett, center fielder Rowand and right fielder Jermaine Dye all fresh. The Sox also have no reason to believe Griffey would invoke his no-trade rights to block a deal. But Cincinnati's reply to the Sox's trade proposal has been silence.

While privately pursuing a trade, Williams publicly tried to downplay its importance.

"It's important to realize these guys have rallied around one another and have gotten us to the point where we still maintain the best record in the game," he said. "We've got complete faith in these guys here.

"Whether there's something that materializes from the outside in the next week or so, I don't see it out there. But you never know."

[email protected]

Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
FWIW...

If this a rumor " A trade can be made for a player if he's on the major league 25 or 40 man roster only if both players have made cleared waivers. ROgowski is still on our 40 man roster that means he will have to go through waivers to be traded which i don't thnk will happen because he will be claimed by some other team with a worse record than Cinci. Young is not on the 40 man roster so if there will be a trade it will not be ROGO going there needs to be another minor leaguer to be sent to the reds. Possible, I don't know anymore. I think the cell would become more exciting than wrigley, Yankee stadium and Fenway park combined if Griffey comes and is effective for the stretch and the playoffs. :cheers

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
I don't doubt that he can be one, but he has some way to still go. He needs to get a more accurate arm and it wouldn't hurt if his arm was a little stronger.

His arm is right there with Dye's in terms of arm strength and JD in his prime had one of the premiere arms in baseball. I will admit his accuracy has been shaky at best this year.

And Kalapse you know I"m with you on this one. I've been calling Aaron one of the premier defensive CFers all year and he's only getting better. Were spoiled to have a guy as good as he is out there in CF.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
Yup.

Having a Gold Glove means everything.

I mean, Derek Jeter has at least one Gold Glove -- I think several -- and that CERTAINLY means he's better than a guy like Juan Uribe defensively.

Right?

GMAFB.  Mark Kotsay and Aaron Rowand are the two best defensive CFers currently playing in the AL, and if neither of them wins it, it will be a f***ing sham.

Did I say it does? No, so get off my f***ing back.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
If this a rumor " A trade can be made for a player if he's on the major league 25  or 40 man roster only if both players have made cleared waivers. ROgowski is still on our 40 man roster that means he will have to go through waivers to be traded  which i don't thnk will happen  because he will be claimed by some other team with a worse record than Cinci. Young is not on the 40 man roster so if there will be a trade it  will not be ROGO going there needs to be another minor leaguer to be sent to the reds. Possible,  I don't know anymore.  I think the cell would become more exciting than wrigley, Yankee stadium and Fenway park combined if Griffey comes and is effective for the stretch and the playoffs. :cheers

Honel or Hernandez(our only decent C prospect) are guys being talked about in place of Rogo.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:54 AM)
Well sorry to get everybody hopes down but on Sporting News Radio they said that the ceo of the reds said that no deal had even been offered to them.

That sucks. Basically tells us that KW was lying. At least that's the impression I got in his latest interview with the guy from Comcast and with statements like, "we're happy with what got us here."

I'm utterly dissapointed because I don't forsee the White Sox making the playoffs next year.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:02 AM)
That sucks. Basically tells us that KW was lying. At least that's the impression I got in his latest interview with the guy from Comcast and with statements like, "we're happy with what got us here."

I'm utterly dissapointed because I don't forsee the White Sox making the playoffs next year.

Maybe it tells us the Reds ceo is lying.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
Usually a CEO wouldn't lie about it like that. He would say, "Oh yeah, we're just not interested in moving Griffey at this time and that's why so and so will not be accepted."

I think your making one hell of an assumption here, but whatever.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
That sucks. Basically tells us that KW was lying.

You can criticize KW all you want for a variety of things, e.g., the Berry trade, the love for Robbie Alomar, etc., but I do not think you can call the guy a liar. He hasn't once come out and said he's trying to get Griffey, or played coy and said "Well there is a certain superstar in the National League whose father was a pretty good ball player that we're pursuing".

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 07:00 AM)
You can criticize KW all you want for a variety of things, e.g., the Berry trade, the love for Robbie Alomar, etc., but I do not think you can call the guy a liar. He hasn't once come out and said he's trying to get Griffey, or played coy and said "Well there is a certain superstar in the National League whose father was a pretty good ball player that we're pursuing".

I don't know what it is lately, but everything this guy has said about the Sox lately has been in the worst possible light... Buehrle is overrated, Rowand isn't that great in CF, the Sox won't make the playoffs... etc. I won't worry too much about what he has to say IMO. It looks like he is just trying to stir the pot.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 06:54 AM)
Well sorry to get everybody hopes down but on Sporting News Radio they said that the ceo of the reds said that no deal had even been offered to them.

IIRC, John Allen is the REds "C.O.O.", and is fully involved in all deals. I'm not sure who the reds "C.E.O." is

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
I don't know what it is lately, but everything this guy has said about the Sox lately has been in the worst possible light... Buehrle is overrated, Rowand isn't that great in CF, the Sox won't make the playoffs... etc.  I won't worry too much about what he has to say IMO.  It looks like he is just trying to stir the pot.

Oops I almost missed, Hawk needs to be fired...

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
Guess why that explains why the Braves keep winning.  Organizations need to take chances, if it wasnt for any of them taking chances. You never hear about K-Rod , Jaret Wright (rookie season) , Miguel Cabrerra ( 19 year old ) just to name a few. Be opened minded , average MLB talent.. I'll take my chances with the guy in AA who hanst done anything and the guy in AAA who is going to " be an average to abover average (at best)"  in the next year or 2.

To be successful, those chances have to pan out. Just taking chances is like playing the lotto.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:43 AM)
I dont question his work ethic... just the constant thread that he's a Golg Glover... he's not.

He may not be a gold glover but he is just a notch below that. You also said that gold glovers never misjudge balls. That is not true at all as I pointed out. Plus I guess it really depends on what you think a gold glover really is. Remember Tony Gwynn was a 5 time gold glover. Was he really? Or was he just voted a gold glover because he could hit?