"The" Griffey Rumor

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he is an idiot, but as i said on the main board, that isnt the reason he wont trade him. hes selling the team and he wants to A. have the team have as much star power as possible to make more money on the deal and B. allow the new people to decide what to do with the players

In the Daily Herald he was quoted saying "No deal is close to happening." That he hasn't heard anything from Cincy either. I just don't see this deal happening. Like i said before- why would Cincy trade him now after the teams president rejected a trade to begin with?

It could be KW flying under the radar- but as of right now- this whole rumor is just a pipe-dream. It sucks because we can use his bat right now- with Pods out of the lineup- and our bats slumping.

QUOTE(RDriesen @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
he is an idiot, but as i said on the main board, that isnt the reason he wont trade him.  hes selling the team and he wants to A.  have the team have as much star power as possible to make more money on the deal and B. allow the new people to decide what to do with the players

It amazes me that he isnt thinking of getting rid of an aging player with a huge contract, who really doesnt figure into the teams long term success. I would think that Lindner would be focusing on making sure Dunn stayed around, not Griffey.

QUOTE(RDriesen @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
he is an idiot, but as i said on the main board, that isnt the reason he wont trade him.  hes selling the team and he wants to A.  have the team have as much star power as possible to make more money on the deal and B. allow the new people to decide what to do with the players

welcome to Soxtalk :cheers

fellow Reds fan here.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
It amazes me that he isnt thinking of getting rid of an aging player with a huge contract, who really doesnt figure into the teams long term success.  I would think that Lindner would be focusing on making sure Dunn stayed around, not Griffey.

true, but 2 things about that. 1, we have enough to sign dunn already, with griffey on board.

2. dont you think the team is worth a lot more with griffey on the team than off it. you have to remember, lindner is all about the bottom line. hes only worried about making money, thats how hes managed the reds. he wants to make as much money as possible off this trade.

3. supposedly the new owners are gonna bump up the payroll to th 80 something range. money isnt a problem as a lot outside the reds fan base think it is. at least not anymore.

the problem has been, 1. getting the owner to spend it(he is one of the richest men in sports) and 2. having a gm who knew how to spend it wisely(which we do not have right now).

i hope griffey goes, as a fan of his i want to see him win. he deserves it. and the fact is, we are a few years away from doing that. we have the talent to challenge for the playoffs next year even, but we dont have anywhere near enough to do anything once we get in

QUOTE(RDriesen @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
2. dont you think the team is worth a lot more with griffey on the team than off it.  you have to remember, lindner is all about the bottom line.  hes only worried about making money, thats how hes managed the reds.  he wants to make as much money as possible off this trade.

Really, I dont think Griffey has had the star effect that Cincinatti expected. He hasnt taken them to the playoffs, and has consistently been injured. I think the Reds need to commit to Dunn, Kearns and Pena, and let Griffey walk. And this isnt the White Sox fan in me talking, I have thought this since the beginning of the year(not that I can prove it ;) )

I do, however, think that the prospects they are requesting dont really make sense, or at least they didnt originally. I was thinking that they need pitching bad, but a 1B and OF? Dont really know about that.

What does the average Reds fan think about this? Are they for or against it?

Griffey is an old star on a rebuilding team. If they wanted to not only move the team forward, but give themselves a little flexibility in the offseason to go for a pitcher, this would be the way. They need to keep adding young talent and filling in with Good FA's ( Not Milton).

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
Really, I dont think Griffey has had the star effect that Cincinatti expected.  He hasnt taken them to the playoffs, and has consistently been injured.  I think the Reds need to commit to Dunn, Kearns and Pena, and let Griffey walk.  And this isnt the White Sox fan in me talking, I have thought this since the beginning of the year(not that I can prove it ;) )

I do, however, think that the prospects they are requesting dont really make sense, or at least they didnt originally. I was thinking that they need pitching bad, but a 1B and OF? Dont really know about that. 

What does the average Reds fan think about this?  Are they for or against it?

probably 75-25 for it for the smart fan. probably 0-100 for the idiots who just go to games and dont know anything. same reason we kept larkin for 3 extra years. and i do agree with you that he hasnt had the effect on the team like we would have hoped. but he has made the team a ton of money in ticket sales, merchandise, etc. thats what i was talking about. what he brings to the team financially. as far as the prospects, thats a misconception about the reds.

we have no guys in the minors in the outfield. pena has proven he can hit homers, but thats it and hes always hurt. kearns is probably the best of the 3, all around(ive seen them all play since low a ball) but hes always hurt. dunn is the only young/proven/injury free outfielder in the entire organization. as far as 1b go, we have nothing after casey. though i dont want rogo in a deal, cause im not big on him. we do need pitching, but we need everything really. outside of what you see on the big club, we have NOTHING. i dont think one team in our minors even has a winning record. our gm is an idiot, hes run us into the ground in less than 2 years. so while pitching is a need big time, ill take good position players over getting avg pitching prospects, just cause we "need" pitching.

Well, it was rumored that Honel may be included in the deal as well. He is looking like the pitcher of old, but still I do not know if he is worth it. What they should do is pick up our good position players and flip them for some arms. Its all about value.

I got this from a Reds board discussion:

Lindner won't let KGJ go cheaply. The White Sox weren't offering enough before the deadline. If they give up Young, Rad, Hernandez, & Honel the deal is likely to happen.

Would you do a 4-1 for KGJ right now?

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
I got this from a Reds board discussion:

Lindner won't let KGJ go cheaply.  The White Sox weren't offering enough before the deadline.  If they give up Young, Rad, Hernandez, & Honel the deal is likely to happen. 

Would you do a 4-1 for KGJ right now?

I would do 4 for 1 if the Reds were willing to pick up 15 million dollars on KGJ contract. If the number is less than that, then I wouldnt give up that many prospects.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
I would do 4 for 1 if the Reds were willing to pick up 15 million dollars on KGJ contract.  If the number is less than that, then I wouldnt give up that many prospects.

Agreed....any deal with us giving 4-1 has to give us some relief on the guys salary.

ESPN.com chat...

Brian (Pasadena)

White Sox.  Griffey.  Yay or nay?

GARY GILLETTE

I think Yes. The Sox really want him and they could really use him--Podsednik has a .685 OPS this year! I think the Reds are simply holding out for the Sox to swallow more of Griffey's contract money.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
ESPN.com chat...

That's pretty f***ing stupid basing the production of a leadoff hitter on his OPS. That is the one stat that does not apply to the #1 hitter in your lineup. Podsednik is not expected to have a high Slug.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
That's pretty f***ing stupid basing the production of a leadoff hitter on his OPS. That is the one stat that does not apply to the #1 hitter in your lineup. Podsednik is not expected to have a high Slug.

gotta agree.

i look at pitches per ab, obp, runs scored when looking at leadoff men