"The" Griffey Rumor

LosMediasBlancas

Chat the second...

Joe (Chicago): How much more time is left for a Griffey deal to get done? From my understanding, if he cleared waivers Monday, not much.

Rob Neyer: (2:02 PM ET ) There's really not much going on there. The White Sox want him, but the Reds aren't all that interested in trading him.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
I love when ESPN's columnists and reporters contradict each other at the same time in opposite chats.

I'm waiting for the Steve Phillips chat where he says that the trade has already gone through and are just waiting to announce the trade to the media. And at the same time the Peter Gammons chat which says all talks between the White Sox and Reds have broken off and that there will not be a trade.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
That's pretty f***ing stupid basing the production of a leadoff hitter on his OPS. That is the one stat that does not apply to the #1 hitter in your lineup. Podsednik is not expected to have a high Slug.

Especially since they told him not to swing for the fences... :bang

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
I'm waiting for the Steve Phillips chat where he says that the trade has already gone through and are just waiting to announce the trade to the media. And at the same time the Peter Gammons chat which says all talks between the White Sox and Reds have broken off and that there will not be a trade.

you forgot to add "And Gammons then reports that the Red Sox are now interested in acquiring Griffey as insurance, and Griffey never had a problem playing in Boston. 2 AA prospects probably will get it done."

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
you forgot to add "And Gammons then reports that the Red Sox are now interested in acquiring Griffey as insurance, and Griffey never had a problem playing in Boston.  2 AA prospects probably will get it done."

:D I was gonna put that in there two but thought the post would be too long winded with it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 06:17 AM)
I don't know what it is lately, but everything this guy has said about the Sox lately has been in the worst possible light... Buehrle is overrated, Rowand isn't that great in CF, the Sox won't make the playoffs... etc.  I won't worry too much about what he has to say IMO.  It looks like he is just trying to stir the pot.

1)Buehrle is overrated on these boards. Some people saying they wouldn't take a pitcher over him and some saying he's the best young pitcher in the leagues. Um no, he's a nice pitcher, but I'd happily take Oswalt, Clemens, Pettite, Peavy, Santana, Perez(when healthy), F. Hernandez, Dontrelle, Bartolo and several others over him.

2)I'm sorry, but I missed the email message that said I had to slurp down Arow upon joining this site. I said he's a nice CF and very good defensively. I didn't say he sucks in any way, did I?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 06:40 AM)
Oops I almost missed, Hawk needs to be fired...

3)Hawk needs to retire. He also needs to apologize for his statements on Mariotti yesterday. That's stirring the pot. The article Mariotti wrote had nothing to do with Hawk whatsoever and several other columnists and media outlets felt the same way as Mariotti, but I didn't see Hawk rip them.

It's not stirring the pot, it's calling it like it is which apparently most people at Soxtalk hate to hear.

Lemme guess the response, "We have the best record in the majors so STFU."...Yeah, keep holding onto that little record excuse, see what that buys you in the playoffs.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
1)Buehrle is overrated on these boards. Some people saying they wouldn't take a pitcher over him and some saying he's the best young pitcher in the leagues. Um no, he's a nice pitcher, but I'd happily take Oswalt, Clemens, Pettite, Peavy, Santana, Perez(when healthy), F. Hernandez, Dontrelle, Bartolo and several others over him.

LOL, what happened to Mulder and Garland?

i was listening to a sport center update on espn 1000 this am during the sylvie and carmen show.. and everyones favorite BRUUUUUUUUCE..made another silly perdiction.. since the griffey deal is pretty much shot... he hinted at the fact the sox were looking at Dmitri Young .. Now lets mull that one over..>LOL!!!

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)

Oliver Perez, LMAO. The guy was healthy before he decided to go around kicking s*** and he posted a 6.16 ERA and 1.64 WHIP. I'm sorry but he's going to have to put up a 2.98 ERA, 1.15 WHIP and 239 Ks for more then 1 season before I start calling him an elite pitcher. This is most likely Clemens' last year so as of next season Buehrle will be more valuable.

Go ahead and check Dontrelle Willis' splits for Pre and post all-star break for the past 3 years. The guy is a very good 1st half pitcher but once July rolls around he suddenly goes in the s***ter.

ERA for Pre/Post AS Break:

'03: Pre- 2.08 Post- 4.60

'04: Pre- 3.99 Post- 4.05

'05: Pre- 2.39 Post- 4.17

Career: Pre- 2.84 Post- 4.28

2)I'm sorry, but I missed the email message that said I had to slurp down Arow upon joining this site. I said he's a nice CF and very good defensively. I didn't say he sucks in any way, did I?

3)Hawk needs to retire. He also needs to apologize for his statements on Mariotti yesterday. That's stirring the pot. The article Mariotti wrote had nothing to do with Hawk whatsoever and several other columnists and media outlets felt the same way as Mariotti, but I didn't see Hawk rip them.

It's not stirring the pot, it's calling it like it is which apparently most people at Soxtalk hate to hear.

Lemme guess the response, "We have the best record in the majors so STFU."...Yeah, keep holding onto that little record excuse, see what that buys you in the playoffs.

Nah, I was thinking of something more like this...

deviltroll_1.jpg

Thats flat out ridiculous nite. When is the last time you heard Mariotti apologize for ripping on anyone. I doubt Hawk would stoop to apologizing to someone for ripping on him, who is doing the same thing through print.

His contract might cost more than what the columnists have mentioned:

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005_01_2...ts_archive.html

KGJ: $116.5M/9 (00-08), $16.5M/09 opt ($4M buyout)

00-08:$12.5M/yr, deferred $$$: 00 $5.5M, 01-08: $6.5M

The Reds haven't paid a dime of the deferred $$$ so the full $57.5M remains in the balance. That begins earning 4% tail end of 2008. The last payment of which is due by 2024 ($16.5M). That means $41M is owed from 2009-2023.

The financial terms state specifically that $57.5M is deferred & will begin earning 4% interest after the WS in 2008. I believe that means a team claiming him off waivers would have been on the hook for all of it.

So there's really $81M left to pay on that contract. I think the media has been assuming that the Reds would pick up $33M of it but from what I've read the contract isn't structured to where they are under any obligation to do so if KGJ is traded.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
read the part where I said several others. I'm not going to waste my whole time typing it. But yes Garland, Mulder, Hudson and Harden and Zito over Buehrle.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
Know what, f*** this board. You can't stand to have anyone on the team criticized. f*** it. I'll find another board.

:crying :crying :crying :crying

:D Now I don't have to read the absolute s*** that he posts on a daily basis. :D :D

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
Know what, f*** this board. You can't stand to have anyone on the team criticized. f*** it. I'll find another board.

Oh Bulls***!! Your opinion is welcome here just as much as all the other asshole opinions that are posted here day in and day out.

Some of you should take a good long look in the mirror at your bulls*** actions lately. This place is becomming more of a joke that it was before Hawk's mention.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
:crying  :crying  :crying  :crying

:D Now I don't have to read the absolute s*** that he posts on a daily basis. :D :D

And we wont have to read your idiotic bulls*** pot stirring responses back to him.