"The" Griffey Rumor

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
read the part where I said several others. I'm not going to waste my whole time typing it. But yes Garland, Mulder, Hudson and Harden and Zito over Buehrle.

Here is why I wouldnt. MB has been MUCH more consistent than all of those guys you just mentioned. Zito has been s*** until recently and in the beginning, Mulder and Hudson are hurt a lot, and Harden and Garland havent proven anything yet. MB is better that all of those.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
His contract might cost more than what the columnists have mentioned:

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005_01_2...ts_archive.html

KGJ: $116.5M/9 (00-08), $16.5M/09 opt ($4M buyout)

00-08:$12.5M/yr, deferred $$$: 00 $5.5M, 01-08: $6.5M

The Reds haven't paid a dime of the deferred $$$ so the full $57.5M remains in the balance.  That begins earning 4% tail end of 2008.  The last payment of which is due by 2024 ($16.5M).  That means $41M is owed from 2009-2023.

The financial terms state specifically that $57.5M is deferred & will begin earning 4% interest after the WS in 2008.  I believe that means a team claiming him off waivers would have been on the hook for all of it.

So there's really $81M left to pay on that contract.  I think the media has been assuming that the Reds would pick up $33M of it but from what I've read the contract isn't structured to where they are under any obligation to do so if KGJ is traded.

LOL Juggs, rising above and beyond the bulls*** to present more numbers.