Harris in LF?

fathom

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)
Well, if you can't get someone who's major league ready from outside the system, then you go with the best guy from inside.  Ozzie is insisting on a leadoff guy, so this is the best guy in the system who knows how to play OF.

In answer to Mike's post, yes, when you get down to your 8th guy it won't be pretty no doubt.

However, they have OF's in the system and actually two who have performed pretty well at the AAA and AA level, those being Anderson and Owens.

The only reason they might not want to bring these guys up is 40 man roster considerations.  If that's the case then Borchard is your man.  If Iguchi is hurt then hell yes get Harris up here.  But Harris for LF?  I don't get it.

Oh man this sounds so depressing. In 2000 the Sox pitching staff fell apart before the playoffs, this year it looks like the starting lineup. I don't see any team as a serious WS contender if guys like Joe Borchard or Willie Harris are called on to make big contributions.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 07:24 AM)
This topic is making me sick, does this actually sound like a team that could win the World series? Would the Redsox, Yankees,or Angels bring up a guy like Willie Harris to play out of position for two weeks? This is the best we have, or the best we can get? Now you know why others around the country don't take us seriously.

...and bingo was his name-o.

This is just laughable.

Famine :whichway Pestilence

For a team that supposedly has been in "going for it" mode, Timo leading off the past couple days and Willie Harris potentially playing LF is inexcusable. Matt Lawton was available for a song, he could lead off and play LF. Pods was injured before the All Star break, and well before the trade deadline, his situation should have been addressed long before this weekend. Lawton isn't that great, but is so much better than Timo and Willie its sickening. This season is starting to take a very familiar turn. Hopefully a major deal can be struck soon to avoid the inevitable.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)
For a team that supposedly has been in "going for it" mode, Timo leading off the past couple days and Willie Harris potentially playing LF is inexcusable. Matt Lawton was available for a song, he could lead off and play LF. Pods was injured before the All Star break, and well before the trade deadline, his situation should have been addressed long before this weekend.  Lawton isn't that great, but is so much better than Timo and Willie its sickening. This season is starting to take a very familiar turn. Hopefully a major deal can be struck soon to avoid the inevitable.

How quickly you forget about the blockbuster deal for Geoff Blumm. If that doesnt scream going for it nothing does.

So for two weeks we will have the equivolent of Corey Patterson without power leading off and playing left. Focking great.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
So much for us finishing with the best record in the AL this year.

With only a 6 game cushion, I see Boston or Anaheim passing us by season's end.

I don't think calling up Willie to play LF would be the reason for this. We've had some major offensive issues even before the slap master gets placed in LF. I even question if Pods is really hurt right now. To me, it seems like we're just resting him, and we're trying to make the injury sound worse than it is in order to have an excuse to DL him. To me, the reason for Podsednik's struggles lately didn't seem physical. He was playing some of the most aggressive defense he's ever played. However, a groin injury isn't the cause of taking called 3rd strike after called 3rd strike. It just seems like we're taking the foot off of the accelerator way too early.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
I don't think calling up Willie to play LF would be the reason for this.  We've had some major offensive issues even before the slap master gets placed in LF.  I even question if Pods is really hurt right now.  To me, it seems like we're just resting him, and we're trying to make the injury sound worse than it is in order to have an excuse to DL him.  To me, the reason for Podsednik's struggles lately didn't seem physical.  He was playing some of the most aggressive defense he's ever played.  However, a groin injury isn't the cause of taking called 3rd strike after called 3rd strike. It just seems like we're taking the foot off of the accelerator way too early.

I wonder if Ozzie has short term memory loss. I mean does he forget Willie and his stellar KC series, or his A's series when he played so bad he packed up his s*** because he expected to be sent down.

On Saturday, Guillen said minor leaguers Jerry Owens or Brian Anderson would be possible replacements if Podsednik had to go on the disabled list. On Sunday, he added Willie Harris' name to the list.

FYI Owens hasnt been in the lineup the past few days.

Edited by RockRaines

Also, as someone mentioned earlier: If Pods did get hurt before the ASB, and we knew it was likely that we'd DL him sometime in the 2nd half of the season, why not either A) get Willie playing time in the minors in LF or B) acquire a back-up outfielder? Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel this Twins series is actually very important. If we go out and get swept by them, then we give the Twins a lot of momentum and confidence that they're still in this race.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)
On Saturday, Guillen said minor leaguers Jerry Owens or Brian Anderson would be possible replacements if Podsednik had to go on the disabled list. On Sunday, he added Willie Harris' name to the list.

Rock that quote gets trumped by Gulliens quote in the suntimes.

I think [we can] bring Willie so he can play some left field,'' Guillen said. ''I'm going to call down to the minor leagues to put Willie in left field and see how he plays there.''

That speaks volumes about his intentions. Anderson and Owens would make perfect sound sense. They are the best we have in the minors to fill this need. But then again Guillen doesnt think that Owens is ready, and he loves the speed factor.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
Also, as someone mentioned earlier:  If Pods did get hurt before the ASB, and we knew it was likely that we'd DL him sometime in the 2nd half of the season, why not either A) get Willie playing time in the minors in LF or B) acquire a back-up outfielder?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel this Twins series is actually very important.  If we go out and get swept by them, then we give the Twins a lot of momentum and confidence that they're still in this race.

This is a second injury for Pods. It isn't the same one he had originally.

We have so many outfielders it's not even funny. But after the first 3, it is a big drop. Rowand, Dye, Podseknik, Everett, Gload, Perez, Ozuna, Harris, Borchard, Owens, Anderson, Sweeney eventually. And I'm probably forgetting some too.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
We have so many outfielders it's not even funny. But after the first 3, it is a big drop. Rowand, Dye, Podseknik, Everett, Gload, Perez, Ozuna, Harris, Borchard, Owens, Anderson, Sweeney eventually. And I'm probably forgetting some too.

I still say,I rather have anyone of these listed than Willie in Left field.He (to me at least) is not what you call a outfielder in any sense.

Edited by WSNS-TV44

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)

Our outfielder list has narrowed.

Guillen said he had spoken with general manager Ken Williams and farm director David Wilder about their options, but Guillen made his point clear: "I need a leadoff guy."

That leaves Owens and Harris out of that list.

And Ozzie was quoted to say that he doesnt believe Owens is ready.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)

Guillen said he had spoken with general manager Ken Williams and farm director David Wilder about their options, but Guillen made his point clear: "I need a leadoff guy."

From Charlotteknights on WSI:

"Anderson was called up last night for Posednick. With such little time left in Charlotte's season, hopefully he'll stay up."

QUOTE(professionalfan @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)

"Anderson was called up last night for Posednick. With such little time left in Charlotte's season, hopefully he'll stay up."

That would be spectacular news, but until I see the press release.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)

I know the list has narrowed, I just felt like posting all the outfielders we have, haha.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)

Maybe Owens has been sitting the last couple of days for a different reason. Dare I say, a trade involving Ken Griffey Jr.

QUOTE(professionalfan @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)

I'd be willing for that. But I'm also one of the few that does support bringing Harris back up. But we all know what Willie can do, which besides speed isn't a lot. I'll be excited to see what Anderson can do though.

QUOTE(bighurt4444 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
Maybe Owens has been sitting the last couple of days for a different reason.  Dare I say, a trade involving Ken Griffey Jr.

I haven't been looking at the rumors for Griffey anymore, but is there still really a chance that we could get him?

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
I haven't been looking at the rumors for Griffey anymore, but is there still really a chance that we could get him?

I would say that if anybody is going to trade for Griffey, the Sox are the leader by a large margin. With that said, I would still guess it is unlikely that the Sox get him, but you never know. Sorry guys, I don't want to turn this into another Griffey to the Sox thread.

Edited by bighurt4444