Official game thread 8/15

Ishmookie

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
Not when you are a pinch hitter. Nobody here is trying to argue that Timo is a good leadoff hitter or table setter. He's not. He's horrible at that. His splits say as much. But when he needs to knock in the big run, he usually does it. Thats the bottome line.

You are sitting there trying to argue that he's not a good leadoff hitter. I KNOW. That's not what I'm arguing.

You probably are one of the guys who didnt mind Valentins 214BA or his countless errors or Ks because of the occasional homer in the late innings. LOL

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
Put me in my place?  LOL.

Yep, OBP means nothing.  Not important for pinch hitters?  Ok, now I've heard it all. 

Keep rambling, though.

LOL. LOok at those numbers buddy. THOSE ARE THE EXACT SAME NUMBERS THAT YOU SPOUTED OFF AT THE BEGINNING OF ALL THIS. Anad now you are trying to talk about OBP. LOL. Nice try.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
"Tell me when you hit it."

Ok, Timo, how about with RISP?

.200/.276/.320 line.

How about with RISP and two outs?

.250/.308/.333.

How about with men on and two outs?

.192/.276/.269.

Yep, certainly applies here.

LOL. I threw that right back in your face and now you try to change the subject. Like I said. Thanks for playing.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
Hawk can be wrong though.  Remember in 2003 after the Sox made the Robby Alomar and Everett trades?  Hawk claimed that there was going to be a deal made that was even bigger than those combined.  Was that supposed to be Schoenweis?  I doubt it.

He's probably right about this though. Simply downplaying Griffey by saying "where would he play?" is flat out stupid and following with a statement that talks about how Pods makes us one of the best if not best defensive OF is just dumber than something Mariotti has ever wrote. Griffey on one leg is better than Pods in LF.

I said this last night, and I'll repeat it again: KW needs to get an answer from the Reds about whether or not they'll ever trade Griffey Jr. during the season, no matter who's involved in the trade. If they say no, then he needs to move on to someone different. This team is not good enough to consistently win at home.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
Unless he's actually pinch hitting, then he sucks again.

Since JPhat is afraid to post his precious PHing stats....

Here's what Timo has done as a pinch hitter on his career. .211/.245/.295

Plus he's 0-9 when PHing for a DH which for some reason is listed as a completely different split...

BUT HE'S A REALLY GOOD PINCH HITTER!!! :rolly

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
Unless he's actually pinch hitting, then he sucks again.

LOL. Exactly. I suppose those 277 ABs with RISP where he hit RISP .332 .359 .466 .825 in 277 ABs over the last three years were imaginary. Just some mistake. All bloopers. Not important. Not nearly as important as being a leadoff hitter. Hitting with nobody on. I'd much rather him have that line with nobody on. Yah....

I know you guys hate Timo, but cmon, you're looking a little foolish at this point.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:59 AM)
LOL. LOok at those numbers buddy. THOSE ARE THE EXACT SAME NUMBERS THAT YOU SPOUTED OFF AT THE BEGINNING OF ALL THIS. Anad now you are trying to talk about OBP. LOL. Nice try.

LOL. I threw that right back in your face and now you try to change the subject. Like I said. Thanks for playing.

Threw what back in my face?

You said he's good in 'clutch' situations, and I gave you clutch situations.

Now you want pinch hit numbers, and he sucks in those too?

Let's see -- there's about five people backing me up, and one person backing you up -- yourself. Yet, the rest of us are wrong, and you're right.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
I said this last night, and I'll repeat it again:  KW needs to get an answer from the Reds about whether or not they'll ever trade Griffey Jr. during the season, no matter who's involved in the trade.  If they say no, then he needs to move on to someone different.  This team is not good enough to consistently win at home.

I would've just said f it and taken the waiver on him because that may have been the only way we got him. Now that won't happen, we have injuries, pitching isn't nearly as good as what it was, hitting flat out sucks and some posters think everything is just fine and dandy.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:01 AM)
I hope we don't sellout for the playoffs.  We'd have no chance.

Considering we're going to have large crowds for the rest of the season, if we continue to suck in front of big home crowds, we won't have to worry about the playoffs.

Another crappy pitcher spotted a fastball on the outside corner, while hitter after hitter tried to park pitch after pitch into the stands.

To beat this club, just spot a fastball on the outside corner and let the mopes do all the work for you.

Radke will 3 hit us tomorrow night and Santana will 4 hit us on Wednesday with this lineup.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:02 AM)
I would've just said f it and taken the waiver on him because that may have been the only way we got him. Now that won't happen, we have injuries and some psoters think everything is just fine and dandy.

It's not just the injuries that scare me. I don't think our talent level on offense is good enough to win the World Series. The scary thing now is that Everett and PK are on fire. Just imagine what it will be like when the middle of the order is struggling.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
Threw what back in my face?

You said he's good in 'clutch' situations, and I gave you clutch situations. 

Now you want pinch hit numbers, and he sucks in those too?

Let's see -- there's about five people backing me up, and one person backing you up -- yourself.  Yet, the rest of us are wrong, and you're right.

So what do you have to say about those three year splits with the most important situations in baseball?

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
LOL. Exactly. I suppose those 277 ABs with RISP where he hit RISP .332 .359 .466 .825 in 277 ABs over the last three years were imaginary. Just some mistake. All bloopers. Not important. Not nearly as important as being a leadoff hitter. Hitting with nobody on. I'd much rather him have that line with nobody on. Yah....

I know you guys hate Timo, but cmon, you're looking a little foolish at this point.

he's not pinch hitting in that situation... He has made three outs already then comes through that one time in the 8th inning and you proclaim him your savior.

If he starts, or see's action as a pinch hitter, he is costing this team games. There is no way to argue against that, not when you suck to high heaven in 75% of your at-bats.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:02 AM)
Does everyone feel this energy??

Thats what happens when you play a team you should come in going 100% at only to be given a piss poor lineup and effort...

Starts at the top. If everyone's going to credit Ozzie for our spirited play, he needs to take the blame when we're flatter than Lara Flynn Boyle. We should be playing loose and energized, since the Twins are the ones with their season on the line.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
Since JPhat is afraid to post his precious PHing stats....

Here's what Timo has done as a pinch hitter on his career. .211/.245/.295

Plus he's 0-9 when PHing for a DH which for some reason is listed as a completely different split...

BUT HE'S A REALLY GOOD PINCH HITTER!!! :rolly

And I bet most of those were starting an inning or with somebody on base. IN which he is terrible. I'm not disputing this. He's not going to hit many game tying HR with nobody on.