Official game thread 8/15

Ishmookie

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:03 PM)
KW, find us our spark, because right now Im not seeing it on the 25 man

This team has looked completely flat since the trade deadline....IMO. I guess Blum didn't give us that shot in the arm we were looking for.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
LOL. Exactly. I suppose those 277 ABs with RISP where he hit RISP .332 .359 .466 .825 in 277 ABs over the last three years were imaginary. Just some mistake. All bloopers. Not important. Not nearly as important as being a leadoff hitter. Hitting with nobody on. I'd much rather him have that line with nobody on. Yah....

I know you guys hate Timo, but cmon, you're looking a little foolish at this point.

Now I know why we lost this game, f***ing Ozzie has been on here all night long defending his girlfriend instead of managing the team. Baines must of picked the lineup too.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:03 PM)
So what do you have to say about those three year splits with the most important situations in baseball?

THEY ARE SO MARGINALLY MORE IMPORTANT THAN OTHER SITUATIONS THAT THE NET GAIN IS STILL NEGATIVE WHEN YOU FACTOR IN HIS OTHER PATHETIC PLATE APPEARENCES!

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:03 AM)
So what do you have to say about those three year splits with the most important situations in baseball?

Three year splits? Ok, he's been good in your certain situations over the past three years. In your certain situations.

Forget the fact that he's sucked the rest of the time, too, and has been terrible as a pinch hitter over his career, and has been an overall terrible player this year, too.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
Another crappy pitcher spotted a fastball on the outside corner, while hitter after hitter tried to park pitch after pitch into the stands. 

To beat this club, just spot a fastball on the outside corner and let the mopes do all the work for you.

Radke will 3 hit us tomorrow night and Santana will 4 hit us on Wednesday with this lineup.

Not even. Anything on the outside corner would have us beat, especially a breaking pitch.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
It's not just the injuries that scare me.  I don't think our talent level on offense is good enough to win the World Series.  The scary thing now is that Everett and PK are on fire.  Just imagine what it will be like when the middle of the order is struggling.

That scares me too. Our offense even when clicking isn't good enough unless our pitching is clicking too.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
he's not pinch hitting in that situation... He has made three outs already then comes through that one time in the 8th inning and you proclaim him your savior.

If he starts, or see's action as a pinch hitter, he is costing this team games. There is no way to argue against that, not when you suck to high heaven in 75% of your at-bats.

As long as that one AB comes in an important situation with RISP, I'm fine with it for a bench player. If he was making 6 mil a year itd be a different story.

I'd much rather him go 0-3 with nobody on in his first 3 ABs, and then come on and get a base hit with men on 2nd and 3rd in the 8th inning. ANd if you disagree about that, then I don't even see why we are arguing about it.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
I have tickets for Wednesday.  Buehrle vs Santana.  I have absolutley no interest in going.

I'll take em. SHould be a fun pitching match up to watch.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
Three year splits?  Ok, he's been good in your certain situations over the past three years.  In your certain situations.

Forget the fact that he's sucked the rest of the time, too, and has been terrible as a pinch hitter over his career, and has been an overall terrible player this year, too.

LOL. Yah, lets just focus on the fact that he sucks with nobody on, and totally ignore than he is one of our best hitters with Runners on over the last 3 years. Because, man would I love him to get a single with 1 or 2 outs and nobody on instead of a single with bases loaded. Right.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:05 AM)
This team has looked completely flat since the trade deadline....IMO.  I guess Blum didn't give us that shot in the arm we were looking for.

My brother, who's the complete opposite in terms of me regarding optimism/pessimism, goes to me after the deadline passed "we're screwed. It's been obvious this team was going to need offensive help, and we did nothing. We had a chance to do something to support these players that had done so well to give us a big lead. Instead of giving them a push, we decided to put more pressure on them to play at a high level".

Sounds pretty legit to me after 3 weeks of pop ups and gaffes.

If I'm making out tomorrow's lineup, this is what it looks like:

Rowand CF

Iguchi 2B

Everett DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

AJ C

Anderson LF

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

Unfortunately I think I saw that Timo has good numbers against Radke. :headshake

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
This team has looked completely flat since the trade deadline....IMO.  I guess Blum didn't give us that shot in the arm we were looking for.

If anyone thought Blum was a shot in arm they were sadly mistaken Mr I am hitting .190

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
If I'm making out tomorrow's lineup, this is what it looks like:

Rowand CF

Iguchi 2B

Everett DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

AJ C

Anderson LF

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

Unfortunately I think I saw that Timo has good numbers against Radke. :headshake

I'd go with something similar.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
THEY ARE SO MARGINALLY MORE IMPORTANT THAN OTHER SITUATIONS THAT THE NET GAIN IS STILL NEGATIVE WHEN YOU FACTOR IN HIS OTHER PATHETIC PLATE APPEARENCES!

That's fine. If you think it is more important to get a 2 hits with nobody on instead of 1 big hit with bases loaded as a player off the bench then I'm not sure what to tell you. We have much different ideas about stats and baseball.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:08 AM)
LOL. Yah, lets just focus on the fact that he sucks with nobody on, and totally ignore than he is one of our best hitters with Runners on over the last 3 years. Because, man would I love him to get a single with 1 or 2 outs and nobody on instead of a single with bases loaded. Right.

I sure would have liked for him to get a base hit ANY of the times he was up tonight. We would have scored another run in at least two more innings if he had gotten on before Carl Everett/Juan Uribe.

But he didn't. And, since there was no RISP, it didn't matter -- to you. He could've been the one scoring, but no, 'cause he didn't get on base in the first place. Hard to get on-base when your OBP over the past two seasons is slipping below .275...

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:07 AM)
I'd much rather him go 0-3 with nobody on in his first 3 ABs, and then come on and get a base hit with men on 2nd and 3rd in the 8th inning. ANd if you disagree about that, then I don't even see why we are arguing about it.

So basically, he's only useful if other players get on in front of him? Thank god that we have him batting leadoff then :D

Great to listen to Ozzie's excuses in the locker room right now. Saying how Pods and Iguchi weren't in the lineup.....reporter said 'what does those 2 not being in the lineup have to do with your team playing lethargic today?"

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
So basically, he's only useful if other players get on in front of him?  Thank god that we have him batting leadoff then :D

But thats exactly my point. As I have stated numerous times he is useless as a leadoff hitter and regular player, but he is just fine as a first player off the bench.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:11 AM)
Great to listen to Ozzie's excuses in the locker room right now.  Saying how Pods and Iguchi weren't in the lineup.....reporter said 'what does those 2 not being in the lineup have to do with your team playing lethargic today?"

And why wasn't Iguchi in the lineup? I'll say this: If the Sox don't make the playoffs, I'll ban myself from this site. My season-ending rant on Ozzie would not be pretty.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
I sure would have liked for him to get a base hit ANY of the times he was up tonight.  We would have scored another run in at least two more innings if he had gotten on before Carl Everett/Juan Uribe. 

But he didn't.  And, since there was no RISP, it didn't matter -- to you.  He could've been the one scoring, but no, 'cause he didn't get on base in the first place.  Hard to get on-base when your OBP over the past two seasons is slipping below .275...

And you just stated the argument for why he shouldn't be an everyday player, but you've made no decent arguments about him as a first player off the bench to play once a week and pinch hit. HE hits in big situations. That's somebody I want off the bench. Not a good OBP guy.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:11 AM)
But thats exactly my point. As I have stated numerous times he is useless as a leadoff hitter and regular player, but he is just fine as a first player off the bench.

Wow, I'm glad you're not a GM. In his career as a PH, he's put up a .211/.245/.295 line. Definitely the player I want coming up as a PH.