Official game thread 8/15

Ishmookie

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
He sucked last year, too.

Wow. For someone who spouts off numbers left and right, I didn't figure you'd be so ignorant.

RISP .397 .419 .500 .919

RISP 2 out .412 .444 .500 .944

Men on , 2 out .296 .333 .352 .685 in 54 Abs

Including numerous game winning or game saving plays.

Three year splits

Runners on .314 .338 .428 .766 in 428 ABs

RISP .332 .359 .466 .825 in 277 ABs

RISP with 2 out .323 .359 .468 .827 in 124 ABS.

Anything else you'd like to say.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:49 AM)
Tony, we never agree on anything.  Would you agree with me that we've taken our proverbial foot off of the accelerator way too early?  It starts at the top, and as much as Ozzie says we're not letting up, his actions sure seem like that of a manager who thinks we can coast the rest of the way.  And judging by Hawk's statements tonight, the Griffey Jr. trades seem like a longshot.

Hawk's thoughts have no bearing on what Williams is going to do.

Where would he play? DH? LF? Rotate him and Everett? Sorry, Hawk, you make room for guys with .850 OPS'...

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
Easier said than done. It's not like Juan Rincon is some kind of slouch. His fastball moves.

Well I just did a frame by frame on his fastball and it doesnt move that much from my angle.

The two 94 mph fastballs that he threw Carl were down and in. Aka the sweet spot for a lefty. His head came off the ball as he swung hard at the pitch.

He wanted to be a hero.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:50 AM)
Wow. For someone who spouts off numbers left and right, I didn't figure you'd be so ignorant.

RISP          .397 .419 .500 .919

RISP 2 out  .412      .444    .500    .944

Three year splits

Runners on          .314 .338 .428 .766 in 428 ABs

RISP    .332 .359 .466 .825 in 277 ABs

RISP with 2 out    .323 .359 .468 .827 in 124 ABS.

58 OPS+.

.285 OBP.

Not worth the money.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:51 AM)
I feel we're just not playing to our strengths anymore.  Our offense needs to stop living and dying by the home run.

I agree. The thing is, we have a bunch of hitters who are home run hitters. For a team that's supposed to play smallball, we don't have a lot of line drive hitters/good situational hitters. It was just a matter of time before our pitching faded back to above average numbers (what the pitchers did in the first half was simply amazing). Quite simply, we just need to win some games. That's one of the reasons that I hate how some people say stuff like "All the Sox have to do is go 23-24, and they'll make it easily". Since when is it guaranteed that we're going to go .500? We don't have that amazing talent level that would allow us to just coast and rack up wins no matter how poorly we play that night.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)

Three year splits

That's fine... Those numbers only indicate how much he sucked in his other AB....

NEWSFLASH!!!! Most of your at-bats come without RISP, and they are almost equally as important as RISP, because they INDUCE RISP at-bats. All those outs he made when nobody was on cost this team games. But go ahead and point to that select 25% of At-bats where he a marginally above average OPS, then call someone ignorant. That will help your argument.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:51 AM)
Hawk's thoughts have no bearing on what Williams is going to do.

Where would he play?  DH?  LF?  Rotate him and Everett?  Sorry, Hawk, you make room for guys with .850 OPS'...

Hawk is the mouthpiece for the organization. He knows what's going on in terms of personnel moves more than just about anyone. They definitely seemed to stress the fact tonight that Griffey Jr. wouldn't fit in with this team.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)

Three year splits

Three year splits. You have got to be f***ing kidding me.

How about this years splits. Does that sexy .215BA show you something.

But if those sexy stats dont make your mouth water.

How about that lovely .167BA after the allstar break. And he has a .234OBP.

That sounds like he is worth a million dollars.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
Well I just did a frame by frame on his fastball and it doesnt move that much from my angle. 

The two 94 mph fastballs that he threw Carl were down and in.  Aka the sweet spot for a lefty.  His head came off the ball as he swung hard at the pitch. 

He wanted to be a hero.

Stand at the plate and have Rincon throw it, you'll probably see it move. I've sat behind home plate and have seen it. 96 mph at 60 feet 6 inches, how many frames do you get on your TIVO with that? Like 3?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
58 OPS+.

.285 OBP.

Not worth the money.

Exactly. Look at those three year splits. OBP is really important for pinch hitters trying to knock in runs with men on base. Right. Thanks for playing.

By the way, you seem like a nice guy, so I don't mean to throw this in your face, but you just wouldn't let it alone, so I had to you put you in your place about it. Nothing personal.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
Hawk is the mouthpiece for the organization.  He knows what's going on in terms of personnel moves more than just about anyone.  They definitely seemed to stress the fact tonight that Griffey Jr. wouldn't fit in with this team.

Hawk can be wrong though. Remember in 2003 after the Sox made the Robby Alomar and Everett trades? Hawk claimed that there was going to be a deal made that was even bigger than those combined. Was that supposed to be Schoenweis? I doubt it.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)
Hawk can be wrong though.  Remember in 2003 after the Sox made the Robby Alomar and Everett trades?  Hawk claimed that there was going to be a deal made that was even bigger than those combined.  Was that supposed to be Schoenweis?  I doubt it.

Scott Sullivan, you mean?

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
Exactly. Look at those three year splits. OBP is really important for pinch hitters trying to knock in runs with men on base. Right. Thanks for playing.

By the way, you seem like a nice guy, so I don't mean to throw this in your face, but you just wouldn't let it alone, so I had to you put you in your place about it. Nothing personal.

So post his Pinch hitting stats.....

THEY SUCK!!!

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)

Put me in my place? LOL.

Yep, OBP means nothing. Not important for pinch hitters? Ok, now I've heard it all.

Keep rambling, though.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
That's fine... Those numbers only indicate how much he sucked in his other AB....

NEWSFLASH!!!! Most of your at-bats come without RISP, and they are almost equally as important as RISP, because they INDUCE RISP at-bats. All those outs he made when nobody was on cost this team games. But go ahead and point to that select 25% of At-bats where he a marginally above average OPS, then call someone ignorant. That will help your argument.

Not when you are a pinch hitter. Nobody here is trying to argue that Timo is a good leadoff hitter or table setter. He's not. He's horrible at that. His splits say as much. But when he needs to knock in the big run, he usually does it. Thats the bottome line.

You are sitting there trying to argue that he's not a good leadoff hitter. I KNOW. That's not what I'm arguing.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
Not when you are a pinch hitter. Nobody here is trying to argue that Timo is a good leadoff hitter or table setter. He's not. He's horrible at that. His splits say as much. But when he needs to knock in the big run, he usually does it. Thats the bottome line.

You are sitting there trying to argue that he's not a good leadoff hitter. I KNOW. That's not what I'm arguing.

Unless he's actually pinch hitting, then he sucks again.