Official game thread 8/15

Ishmookie

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
And why wasn't Iguchi in the lineup? I'll say this:  If the Sox don't make the playoffs, I'll ban myself from this site.  My season-ending rant on Ozzie would not be pretty.

They will make the playoffs. But if they choked this away this late in the season, there will be about 12K in the stands next year because this would be one of the biggest choke jobs in the history of baseball.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:11 AM)
But thats exactly my point. As I have stated numerous times he is useless as a leadoff hitter and regular player, but he is just fine as a first player off the bench.

He should be the last player on the bench, and only used (if your dumb enough to have him on your team) in late inning situations when you need an RBI, and not someone to reach base. The problem is that our dumbass manager thinks he's capable of playing every day. You'd never see Lenny Harris start more than one game every 2 or 3 weeks.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:13 AM)
And you just stated the argument for why he shouldn't be an everyday player, but you've made no decent arguments about him as a first player off the bench to play once a week and pinch hit. HE hits in big situations. That's somebody I want off the bench. Not a good OBP guy.

HE SUCKS AT PINCH HITTING, TOO!!!!!!

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
Wow, I'm glad you're not a GM.  In his career as a PH, he's put up a .211/.245/.295 line.  Definitely the player I want coming up as a PH.

And yet we just saw his three year splits in important situations. WHat are his PH numbers with RISP? Most of those probably game in meaningless games with nobody on and a ocuple out, down 4 in the top of the ninth inning.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
As long as that one AB comes in an important situation with RISP, I'm fine with it for a bench player. If he was making 6 mil a year itd be a different story.

I'd much rather him go 0-3 with nobody on in his first 3 ABs, and then come on and get a base hit with men on 2nd and 3rd in the 8th inning. ANd if you disagree about that, then I don't even see why we are arguing about it.

Here's some simplified game theory for you....

There are 27 outs in a baseball game. Timo Makes lots of outs. He is the sux. The only time he doesn't make lots of outs is with runners in scoring position, which only account for less than 25% of his total plate appearences. ANY benefit gained by him being marginally above average in RISP situations is negated by him being below average in every other situation. The second most important situation (leading off and inning) Timo is so historically bad it's pitiful.

You argue that he is a good pinch hitter, I showed you his woeful pinch hitting stats. He's not a good pinch hitter, which you argue is his role on the team.

In order for TIMO to get RISP abs, without being in a pinch hit situation, he would have to start the game. -- Any time TIMO starts a game he is hurting the team. He is Bad.

But he speaks Japanese, so he can read this. Timo のあなたは吸う!

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
How is it horrible? Did that not happen? It's horrible how so many people are blinded by the fast start and won't just admit s*** is going wrong with this team.

Hey man im with you but you just overloaded my brain thinking about that one. I am also not denying this team is playing like s*** since I have been saying it even when they do win.

I see "I love this f***ing team" being posted so damn much and I don't see why. They do need to get their s*** straight.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
Hey man im with you but you just overloaded my brain thinking about that one. I am also not denying this team is playing like s*** since I have been saying it even when they do win.

I see "I love this f***ing team" being posted so damn much and I don't see why. They do need to get their s*** straight.

I agree strongly.

:cheers

Is Iguchi hurt? WTF does Ozzie bench him. And why does Ozzie put Timo in there. I wanted to see Anderson get his feet wet and experience the major leagues. Timo should not be starting. He was 7/41 his last at bats before today and today he was 0 for 4 with two left on. He sucks at starting, Ozzie! Geez, 9 hits and ONLY 2 runs. I hope we get Griffey. Numbers 4 through 7 were 1-14 with 8 LOB.

AND Pierznski has no chance at throwing out the runners cause Count is soooo slow to the plate.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
Here's some simplified game theory for you....

There are 27 outs in a baseball game. Timo Makes lots of outs. He is the sux. The only time he doesn't make lots of outs is with runners in scoring position, which only account for less than 25% of his total plate appearences. ANY benefit gained by him being marginally above average in RISP situations is negated by him being below average in every other situation. The second most important situation (leading off and inning) Timo is so historically bad it's pitiful.

You argue that he is a good pinch hitter, I showed you his woeful pinch hitting stats. He's not a good pinch hitter, which you argue is his role on the team.

In order for TIMO to get RISP abs, without being in a pinch hit situation, he would have to start the game. -- Any time TIMO starts a game he is hurting the team. He is Bad.

But he speaks Japanese, so he can read this. Timo のあなたは吸う!

What are his PH stats with RISP?

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:15 AM)

I'm a diehard Sox fan, but I'm also a baseball "expert". I'll say this (and I'm sure I'll be bashed): I have absolutely no clue how the Sox are 12 games up on the Indians, and 15 on the Twins. It's one of the most pleasant surprises I've ever had in sports, because this is not a great Sox team we're talking about.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
I don't think you read one word he typed.  I think you just sort of quoted for effect.

I'd be interested to see how he does in RISP in PH situations. if he had nobody on, then I already said he sucked at that.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
Exactly. So now you are saying that he should start with numbers like those with RISP? Should he hit 5th? what are you saying exactlY?

Because they account for 22% of his plate appearences....

If I sucked at my job only 78% of the time, I wouldn't expect to have a job.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
I'm a diehard Sox fan, but I'm also a baseball "expert".  I'll say this (and I'm sure I'll be bashed):  I have absolutely no clue how the Sox are 12 games up on the Indians, and 15 on the Twins.  It's one of the most pleasant surprises I've ever had in sports, because this is not a great Sox team we're talking about.

True that. The offesne is horrid

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
Because they account for 22% of his plate appearences....

If I sucked at my job only 78% of the time, I wouldn't expect to have a job.

I dunno. What if you made more money for your company in those 22% of the time (RISP) than other people off that don't work everyday in your company.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
I'm a diehard Sox fan, but I'm also a baseball "expert".  I'll say this (and I'm sure I'll be bashed):  I have absolutely no clue how the Sox are 12 games up on the Indians, and 15 on the Twins.  It's one of the most pleasant surprises I've ever had in sports, because this is not a great Sox team we're talking about.

I 2nd that. Prepare for the flamers to come out.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
I 2nd that. Prepare for the flamers to come out.

I don't give a s***. I've been saying that this slump was bound to happen once we started to play good teams during this stretch, and people called me an asshole because of it. Our offense has been struggling so much at home, and when you play teams with good bullpens, the game can get late fast.