Official game thread 8/15

Ishmookie

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
Is Iguchi hurt?  WTF does Ozzie bench him.  And why does Ozzie put Timo in there.  I wanted to see Anderson get his feet wet and experience the major leagues.  Timo should not be starting.  He was 7/41 his last at bats before today and today he was 0 for 4 with two left on.  He sucks at starting, Ozzie!  Geez,  9 hits and ONLY 2 runs.  I hope we get Griffey.  Numbers 4 through 7 were 1-14 with 8 LOB.

AND Pierznski has no chance at throwing out the runners cause Count is soooo slow to the plate.

This is what happens to this team over the last few years when we tick past August 1st.

Corpseball

The team starts kicking the ball around alot.

Everyone starts trying to park every single pitch into the stands.

Lots and Lots of warning track shots, or high high pop ups. You will never see so many pop ups.

When men get on in scoring position with less than 2 outs. They will K swinging for the fences or GIDP or pop up to the catcher or 1st baseman.

Pitches will give up big innings.

Guys will admire what they think is a homer and then after realizing it was in the park, they run like madmen to get to second because they realized they f***ed up. Carlos Lee did this like 3 times last August, and Pauly does it for the first time tonight.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
I dunno. What if you made more money for your company in those 22% of the time (RISP) than other people off that don't work everyday in your company.

No my suckitude in the other 78% of the time would negate any gain from the other 22% of the time.

RISP ARE ONLY MARGINALLY MORE IMPORTANT THAT ANY OTHER AB

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
I'm a diehard Sox fan, but I'm also a baseball "expert".  I'll say this (and I'm sure I'll be bashed):  I have absolutely no clue how the Sox are 12 games up on the Indians, and 15 on the Twins.  It's one of the most pleasant surprises I've ever had in sports, because this is not a great Sox team we're talking about.

The sox have good pitching and horrible offense, we all know that. The thing is, there have been so many times this season where their clutch hit wins the game. What happens when the clutch hit doesn't bring in the game winner but requires another clutch hit to deliver the game winner? The first clutch his only serves to keep the game going, but with horrible offense and "automatic outs" as we like to call them, how the hell is the game gonna be won?

I really hope if not this game that by the end of this series they have will have a conference because they have been horrid.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:22 AM)
This is what happens to this team over the last few years when we tick past August 1st.

Corpseball

The team starts kicking the ball around alot.

Everyone starts trying to park every single pitch into the stands.

Lots and Lots of warning track shots, or high high pop ups.  You will never see so many pop ups.

When men get on in scoring position with less than 2 outs.  They will K swinging for the fences or GIDP or pop up to the catcher or 1st baseman.

Pitches will give up big innings. 

Guys will admire what they think is a homer and then after realizing it was in the park, they run like madmen to get to second because they realized they f***ed up.  Carlos Lee did this like 3 times last August, and Pauly does it for the first time tonight.

Don't forget our managers get severely out-managed by the opposition.

the first half the season was great no doubt. but i'm so tired of this second half. i dont get whats going in ozzies head and this lineup. having runners in scoring postion and not doing s***. i just dont get it anymore. has smallball ended? swing for the fence the in thing too do? and im tired of predicting half the time when a someone pops up or k's. well thats it. i'm ready to be yelled at. lol

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
BTW -- why haven't Timo's clutch stats translated over to this year?

Because he's sure been extremely bad in those 'clutch' situations this year.

Yep. He obviously hasn't been as good this year in those situations.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)
I'm a diehard Sox fan, but I'm also a baseball "expert".  I'll say this (and I'm sure I'll be bashed):  I have absolutely no clue how the Sox are 12 games up on the Indians, and 15 on the Twins.  It's one of the most pleasant surprises I've ever had in sports, because this is not a great Sox team we're talking about.

We need a healthy Pods getting on....stealing........being advanced by Gooch.....being plated by the big boys. End of 1st, we are leading and excited. This is the way it was drawn up and when Pods comes back (healthy), we should see more of the same. Pressure offense ...... make the other guys play scared.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
Don't forget our managers get severely out-managed by the opposition.

If thats true we must have an unbelievalbe amount of talent to have the best record in baseball to win in spite of our manager.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:26 AM)
We need a healthy Pods getting on....stealing........being advanced by Gooch.....being plated by the big boys. End of 1st, we are leading and excited.  This is the way it was drawn up and when Pods comes back (healthy), we should see more of the same.  Pressure offense ...... make the other guys play scared.

Pods impact on this team was overrated the first half of the season. It was our pitching that carried us. Pods doesn't have a very high run scored total this season.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
We need a healthy Pods getting on....stealing........being advanced by Gooch.....being plated by the big boys. End of 1st, we are leading and excited.  This is the way it was drawn up and when Pods comes back (healthy), we should see more of the same.  Pressure offense ...... make the other guys play scared.

Speed puts a lot of pressure on the opposing team, when you put Timo and Uribe 1 and 2 don't expect them to be shaking in their visitors boots.

--Oh and besides, don't you just love those averages for the 1,2 punch and KO??

Edited by Sox Hustler

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
Then why's he making a million bucks THIS year?  Why's he still on THIS team, THIS year?

Because...uh, he got paid for what he did last year, in which he had terrific numbers. Were they supposed to look into the crystal ball or something to see that he would be worse in those situations than his career would indicate?

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:27 AM)
If thats true we must have an unbelievalbe amount of talent to have the best record in baseball to win in spite of our manager.

While you were busy fellating Timo, we were discussing our managers in August the last few years.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:28 AM)
Because...uh, he got paid for what he did last year, in which he had terrific numbers. Were they supposed to look into the crystal ball or something to see that he would be worse in those situations than his career would indicate?

They paid him for clutch stats last year?

All 68 ABs of his with RISP?

It's a stupid reason to pay a guy because he's clutch. There has to be other reasons. 58 OPS+ doesn't equal seven figures.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
While you were busy fellating Timo, we were discussing our managers in August the last few years.

Oh. sorry. DIdn't realize managers got dumber when the calendar turned. Do they have a chip in their head?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)
Pods impact on this team was overrated the first half of the season.  It was our pitching that carried us.  Pods doesn't have a very high run scored total this season.

Don't be so sure of yourself, our offense has been even worse now that hes not on base. Not trying to take any credit away from the pitching but you can't take any away from Pods either.

This is a great site for boxscores and stats of all kinds.

Look up players find Timo and see how bad he sucks

They have an interesting metric called batter/fielder wins. The higher the ranking the better the player and vice versa. Timo is very much in the negative. Anyway, like I did a long time ago I recommend this site. Lots of great stuff and a whole plethora of stats of all kinds. Box scores back to 1960. Timo sucks. It's there in black and white.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:30 AM)
Oh. sorry. DIdn't realize managers got dumber when the calendar turned. Do they have a chip in their head?

No, because maybe it's when the players are tired and the games mean more, our managers have been bent over by guys like Gardenhire. It's easy to manage a team when everyone is fresh at the start of the season, etc. The great managers find a way to get their team up for every game at the end of the season.