Dem moves across the aisle

southsider2k5

http://washtimes.com/national/20050814-115425-7424r.htm

Actually a lot of interesting stuff in here. One other thing was Howard Dean saying that women are going to be worse off in Iraq without Saddam Hussein.

Southern switch

One of the top Democrats in the Georgia House of Representatives switched sides last week.

State Rep. Greg Morris joined the GOP, giving Republicans 100 seats in the legislature.

"On major issues that are important to me and the people I represent, I'm out of step with the Democratic Party," said Mr. Morris, from the southern Georgia city of Vidalia, best known for its sweet-onion crop.

Last year, Republicans gained control of the state House for the first time since Reconstruction, after winning the state Senate and the governor's office in 2002. With the addition of Mr. Morris, Republicans now have a 20-seat edge in the 180-member state House.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Mr. Morris "had been [Democratic] Lt. Gov. Mark Taylor's de facto floor leader in the House and allowed to sit in on closed-door meetings of the Senate leadership when Democrats controlled that chamber."

Good for him. I am certain his district will judge him by everything he does. I just wonder if he'll adopt the entire agenda, or continue to pick and choose. If he suddenly changes views, along with the change in party, then I will lean towards my friend DJ's assessment.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
http://washtimes.com/national/20050814-115425-7424r.htm

Actually a lot of interesting stuff in here.  One other thing was Howard Dean saying that women are going to be worse off in Iraq without Saddam Hussein.

I don't know if he's that far off the mark in his women in Iraq comments. It really depends on what the final version of the constitution looks like (versus the draft with the gaping holes being submitted todey). The Shi'ite contingent is pushing for it to be put in writing in the constitution that the principal source of law in the new Iraq will come from the Koran. If that happens, women will certainly be getting the shaft. And if that happens we will pretty much have two Irans on our hands.