So I bought a dog.

Kid Gleason

molly.jpg

Pure bred Cocker Spaniel.

Her name is Molly and she is 9 weeks old. My kids are head over heels in love with her already. My wife, who never wanted pets, now is the proud owner of a hamster, a fish, a cat, and now a dog. Plus I have had injured squirrels in the house and injured birds, and we had another cat and we took in my dog from childhood. The other cat and that dog though had to be put down. Bless her though, as this one was her idea.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
molly.jpg

Pure bred Cocker Spaniel.

Her name is Molly and she is 9 weeks old. My kids are head over heels in love with her already. My wife, who never wanted pets, now is the proud owner of a hamster, a fish, a cat, and now a dog. Plus I have had injured squirrels in the house and injured birds, and we had another cat and we took in my dog from childhood. The other cat and that dog though had to be put down. Bless her though, as this one was her idea.

That is one cute pooch!

My daughter wants a dog, but we're going to wait until after her cat is gone to get another pet. Two reasons - one, the cat is like 15 years old and we don't think he'd accept another housepet. He'd either try to fight it, or he'd freak and never leave the area behind the entertainment center. and two - my kid tends to treat her pets like stuffed animals. She's constantly grabbing the cat and carrying him around the house. So when it's time, we'll either have to get a small dog with a mild attitude that she can lug around, or we'll have to get one of those big lumbering dogs that she couldn't lift anyway.

I don't think we have enough house for a Clifford/Marmaduke type of dog, so we'll probably go with a tiny mellow dog.

Cockers are nippers and easy peeers, but extremely loyal and "fun". You'll have a good time with it. Just be prepared and expect to have to clean up some "accidents" They chew everything also so be sure to have a good supply of raw hide and chew ropes.

One thing I have to suggest in regards to her chewing habits.

A) Always have something available to chew

B ) Never provide any of the "sqeaky" toys unless they are gauranteed tough. Those little squeakers are dangerous when the dogs finally get them out of the plastic

C) Rawhide is alot more dangerous than the dog treat industry lets on. I always give my dogs natural chews, but never any wrapped rawhide(like the bone shown in the picture with Molly). Many dogs have problems digesting rawhide, and end up having major surgery or even dying because the rawhide blocks the intestine, or gets wrapped in the intestine. Try pig ears, baked bones, buddha bones, or the good old natural cow femur. Those are the most digestable, and actually the pig ears are the best for a growing puppy.

D) Dont get sucked into buying pig or cow hooves. These are extremely dangerous(they splinter when the dog chews them) and not very digestable.

E) The best way to remove those little pins and needles commonly referred to as "Puppy teeth" is a rope toy.

Puppies are such a blast! I used to work at some pet rescues and at Petco for a while, if you have any questions about any products, feel free to PM me.

Edited by kyyle23

We always used those wrappen bones for all of mine while growing up, and never had problems. But thanks for the tips, better to be safe than sorry. She doesn't really care for the dang thing anyway.

She's getting a few hand-me-down toys that my wifes Aunts dog never took to, or that they never got around to giving her. I'll go through those and make sure they are all of a safe thickness.

I have no problems with cleaning "messes" and am actually VERY tolerant of it. My cat, who is suffering from kidney and liver failure right now (plus has thyroid problems), has been crapping everywhere in our basement (no...she doesn't drop her pants to her ankles) for the past 2 months. Since it has been contained to the basement, and she is in no pain from what it seems like (just skeletal thin), she isn't being put down. She seems happy still.

Molly and the sickly kitty didn't hit it off at first yesterday (the walking skelekitty scared the heck out of the dog), but today they seem to be getting on just fine, and hopefully the dog will add a little more enjoyment to the cats life. She's a VERY lovable cat, and very easy going.

Thanks for the tips and compliments on the pooch. :D