Welcome Brian Anderson

Nokona

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
We know Bruce Levine is an idiot, but he's saying that expect to see Anderson on the bench a lot, and if he does play, he wouldn't be near the top of the order

That's how I expect it to go down, basically meaning we shouldn't have put him on the 40 man roster if he wasn't going to be used. Should've used Willie and let him rot on the bench if that's the case.

If some goof named Matt Murton stolen from the Red Sox can contribute immediately for the Cubs, shouldn't be too much to expect for Anderson. I expect quality results from the best hitting prospect in our organization.

Now, I already know how everyone will act if Anderson struggles for an extended period--some will call him a bust, others will regurgitate a slogan developed just for White Sox pitching prospects: "Need more time to develop." But for once every 10 years, it'd be great for a callup to absolutely tear up pitching. Our team needs a spark in the lineup. Hopefully he'll provide it.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
If some goof named Matt Murton stolen from the Red Sox can contribute immediately for the Cubs, shouldn't be too much to expect for Anderson. I expect quality results from the best hitting prospect in our organization.

Now, I already know how everyone will act if Anderson struggles for an extended period--some will call him a bust, others will regurgitate a slogan developed just for White Sox pitching prospects: "Need more time to develop." But for once every 10 years, it'd be great for a callup to absolutely tear up pitching. Our team needs a spark in the lineup. Hopefully he'll provide it.

Who was the last guy for the White Sox that just helped from the get go? Pitching or hitting wise. I can't remember at all. Frank.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
In reality, what young position players have been up here? 

Willie Harris got every chance in the world to win a starting job. 

Pablo Ozuna has gotten ample playing time for the defensive liability that he is everywhere except SS. 

Ross Gload was backing up a 40 HR 110 RBI All-Star without the ability to play the OF, so he had no where to play. 

Who else is out there that didn't get a chance as a young position player?

Pedro Lopez started a few games when he was called up earlier in the year.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)

Carlos Lee and Maggs hit .292 and .282 respectively in 99, their rookie campains. Of course, that was considerably worse that another rookie, who finished ahead of both in RoY voting. Chris Singleton hit .300 with 17 HR that year.

That's 3 homegrown products in 1 year who produced immediately. But yeah, once every ten years.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
Carlos Lee and Maggs hit .292 and .282 respectively in 99, their rookie campains. Of course, that was considerably worse that another rookie, who finished ahead of both in RoY voting. Chris Singleton hit .300 with 17 HR that year.

That's 3 homegrown products in 1 year who produced immediately. But yeah, once every ten years.

Maggs' rookie year was 1998, when he did OK with little power.

Singleton was acquired just prior to the 1999 season from the Yankee farm system, he wasn't home grown.

The Sox really right now have only a few pure "home grown" players.

Buehrle (38th round pick)

Rowand (1st round pick)

Crede (? later rounds, I believe)

Anderson (1st round pick)

Thomas (1st round pick) (DL)

Acquired by trade:

Everett

Uribe

Konerko

Podsednik (DL)

Marte (for Matt Guerrier, of all people)

Timo Perez

Cotts

Garcia

Garland (although he was acquired so early, he's almost a Sox farm product)

Adkins

Contreras

Blum

Acquired by free agency/minor league draft

Iguchi

Dye

AJ Pierzynski

Chris Widger

Pablo Ozuna (?? not sure)

Hermanson

Politte

Jenks

El Duque

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)

Matt Murton was a very good prospect. When the trade was initially made, most were calling for Theo's head for adding Matt Murton over David Murphy.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
Joe Crede.... .285 with 12 HRs in 2002 after being called up.

This is the sole player which stuck out as producing immediately out of his callup. Singleton slipped my mind, however Lee/Ordonez (as I recall) took a few months to begin heating up. If Anderson could hit above .300 his limited AB's for this this club over final two months it'd be a welcomed addition. Too many slump prone players.

I'll admit ownage, however. My dislike for the development of our minor league pitching has seeped into the hitting sector.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
Who was the last guy for the White Sox that just helped from the get go? Pitching or hitting wise. I can't remember at all. Frank.

man, just look at kalapses avatar and remember he hates you too

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 06:11 PM)
man, just look at kalapses avatar and remember he hates you too

.306 BA, 22 SB, 55 RBI, 81 R, only 38 SO, 6 3B.

He was quite good his rookie year. His 13.8 AB/SO was the best in the league. Not to mention the fact that he was only 21 years old.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
ph_435042.jpg

For those not familiar with the newly-anointed Shaggy, here's our guy!

Got a good feeling about this one...maybe he'll provide at least a little spark to give these guys a kick in the ass.  But, to think a rookie call-up will be the offensive savior is a bit much.

briananderson3dp.jpg

I'm really looking forward to seeing him play.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
...plus, the dude's middle name is Nikola.

Go back in history and find a disappointing major-leaguer with the middle name, Nikola...not even one. :lol:

So what you're saying is that Paul Spoljaric was a good major league pitcher? I'd call him a servicable reliever at best.

I'ts called 0wnag3 get to know it. ;)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
So what you're saying is that Paul Spoljaric was a good major league pitcher? I'd call him a servicable reliever at best.

I'ts called 0wnag3 get to know it. ;)

What. A. Reference.

...know what, I'll just tip my cap on that one. I don't even want to know how you found that out...in two minutes' time no less.