WSCR's continued fall

the score is bad and getting worse. they just let go of J-Hood, clearly their best guy. he knew his stuff, talked about sports and only sports. the score is getting just down right brutal. the morning show is a joke. north is a complete dope, i dont know a single sox fan who listens and enjoys boers and bernstein, and mike murphy by himself is about as interesting jane austen. when he gets piersall on the show it gets even worse. Mulligan and buffone are the only ones worth listening to anymore. i just hope they dont f*** up sox games next year like they have with teh rest of their station.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-home-utility

on the other end of the dial, mac jurko and harry continue to talk less and less and less about sports and more and more and more about pointless nonsense. thank god they still have the national guys mike and mike and dan patrick to carry them

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
the score is bad and getting worse. they just let go of J-Hood, clearly their best guy. he knew his stuff, talked about sports and only sports. the score is getting just down right brutal. the morning show is a joke. north is a complete dope, i dont know a single sox fan who listens and enjoys boers and bernstein, and mike murphy by himself is about as interesting jane austen. when he gets piersall on the show it gets even worse. Mulligan and buffone are the only ones worth listening to anymore. i just hope they dont f*** up sox games next year like they have with teh rest of their station.

on the other end of the dial, mac jurko and harry continue to talk less and less and less about sports and more and more and more about pointless nonsense. thank god they still have the national guys mike and mike and dan patrick to carry them

I enjoy listening to them simply for entertainment value :huh

Edited by Chisoxrd5

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
I enjoy listening to them simply for entertainment value  :huh

Me too. And why would someone say that they don't know a single Sox fan that listens to B&B? They are both Sox fans and have publicly said so.

I havent listened to the radio much anymore but when I did it would be Mike North because I think it was just funny how dumb his views are on things and how the one chick always argued with him in everything.

Than the guy i really listened to for my sports was Kevin Wheeler becasue I think he knows his stuff despite being a detroit fan.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)

Well, yesterday MJ&H were talking about how J Hood may become part of ESPN 1000 soon. In fact, the impression that they gave me when they were talking about it was that it was a foregone conclusion, just a matter of time. J Hood probably has a 3 month no-compete clause he has to wait out, thats usually the standard.

And on a personal note, I think MJ&H have been really good the past 3 months. Mac has been absolutely torturing Jurko and Harry about how bad the Cubs have been.

QUOTE(WSNS-TV44 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
I don't deal in Sports talk radio,ever.

It's the Sox,and that's all.Unless AM radio starts playing rock and roll like in the '60's and 70's,the Sox is all I need on AM radio!

you are missing out. I have really grown to appreciate the humor in AM sportstalk. There are alot of different hosts with alot of different approaches out there, you just have to find the one you like.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
you are missing out.  I have really grown to appreciate the humor in AM sportstalk.  There are alot of different hosts with alot of different approaches out there, you just have to find the one you like.

I've listen,and it's the same thing

1.Cubs

2.T.O. and his problems

3.The NBA (even in the offseason)

I'm lucky if I hear anything positive on the Sox.

QUOTE(WSNS-TV44 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)

1.Cubs

2.T.O. and his problems

You must be listening to 5 minute sportscenter updates then. Silvy and Carmen usually start the morning off on the White Sox, and Mac jurko and Harry pick it up after Dan Patrick is through.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
Well, yesterday MJ&H were talking about how J Hood may become part of ESPN 1000 soon.  In fact, the impression that they gave me when they were talking about it was that it was a foregone conclusion, just a matter of time.  J Hood probably has a 3 month no-compete clause he has to wait out, thats usually the standard. 

First of all, Mac, Jurko, and Harry rock.

Second, how can the Score expect Hood to honor a 3-month no-compete clause if they canned him.

I doubt that is accurate.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
First of all, Mac, Jurko, and Harry rock.

Second, how can the Score expect Hood to honor a 3-month no-compete clause if they canned him.

I doubt that is accurate.

Doubt it if you want steve, when i worked in radio we had to sign no-compete clauses. It is common. And J Hood didnt get canned, his contract ran out, huge difference. No-compete clauses are designed so hosts dont intentionally get canned and run to other stations immediately, and draw huge shock value ratings.

QUOTE(WSNS-TV44 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)

1.Cubs

2.T.O. and his problems

M,J,&H is where it's at.

They talk about TO -- NEVER

They talk about the NBA -- ALMOST NEVER -- They didn't even talk about game 7 of the NBA finals, and had a mocking poll on their website about what interested you more.

A listener calling into Jonathan "J" Hood's radio show Sunday afternoon remarked that he needed a scorecard to keep up with Hood's ever-changing schedule on WSCR-AM 670. Well, there's no need for that scorecard now.

Hood's contract with the Score ended Sunday, and as expected, the station did not offer him a new one. Hood declined to comment Monday, referring calls to his agent, Steve Mandell.

"Both parties agreed that it was time to move on," Mandell said. "I think it was a question of opportunity."

Hood hopes to get his next opportunity at WMVP-AM 1000, WSCR's top competitor.

Last week afternoon host Dan McNeil spotted Hood in the lobby of WMVP's downtown Chicago headquarters before Hood was scheduled to meet with WMVP's acting program director, Tom Serritella.

McNeil joked on the air: "Why is Tony Gwynn here today?"

McNeil, who has known Hood since their days together at the Score, said Monday:

"If J Hood pops up on our airwaves, I say: Thumbs up. But there are people much smarter than I who make those decisions."

Hood suspected his days at the Score were numbered when the station removed him from its ill-fated "Rick Telander Show" and pushed him to the weekends.

WSCR will fill his weekend slots with college and pro football programming.

Not quite "canned", Steve-O

haha evidently i was wrong abotu boers and bernstein, but at any rate.....i agree with the person who said those who dont listen to sports talk radio are missing out. i just have become increasingly frustrated with local programming lately, and i think the national programming is getting better. mac jurko and harry i do enjoy, i just hate the fact that theyll go 45 minutes without talkin about sports sometimes. my favorite is quickly becomming mulligan and buffone. especially about the bears. obviuosly they know whats goin on with them, and they give reasonable opinions, but nothin too in depth abotu baseball. i knwo everyone hates bruce, but i find talkin baseball on sundays with rooney to be just about as good as any show

As many of you know, I interned at The Score last summer. it was awesome. Athough I was interning for North, I often had a chance to interact with JHood since he filled in on the show regularly and he hosted the show right after north (back when he did afternoon drive). JHood is possibly one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He knows his stuff and doesnt take life too seriously. He is a true professional. i would work for him any time if he ever asked (assuming where he worked payed mroe than my current job).

I wish him the best of luck. He's better off away from there were he can be given a real shot. When North moved to mornings I was soooooooooo excited that JHood was going to be given a shot at the afternoon drive show. THen the brought in Telender and screwe him over. For the record, JHood threw a silent potest and tried to make the show sound bad because of how the situation was handled. Rock on JHood. And God Bless!!

I think its good entertainment with Boers and Bernstein, Murph, and on Saturdays I love listening to Laurence Holmes and Matt Abbatacola on ''The Last Call''. Thats all entertainment. I like listening to Sporting News at midnight for some serious sports talk. I still prefer the Score over 1000. The only thing I like more on AM1000 is the Chicago Baseball Tonite Show. I usually prefer that over The Score Wrap-Up Show w/ Chris Rogney.