Researchers Aim To Grow Meat In Test Tube

Texsox

http://www.local6.com/news/4851623/detail.html

A research team is proposing a new technique that would allow meat to be grown in a laboratory for mass consumption, according to a report.

Researchers in the U.S. say the technology now exists now to produce processed meats such as burgers and sausages, starting with cells taken from cows, chickens, pigs, fish or other animals.

Researchers in the U.S. say the technology now exists now to produce processed meats such as burgers and sausages, starting with cells taken from cows, chickens, pigs, fish or other animals.

More at link

Hmmm, where have a heard this before? I think we should just form it into pills. Maybe have a red, yellow, and an especially nutrient packed green one . . .

That was 'single celled protein' without tissue-level organization. [/nerd][/not really][/can't stop]

I didn't read the whole story, but I know the issue with similar attempts is that without the test-tube meat ever being 'exercized' in the way that muscle normally is, the texture is not very firm and leaves a lot to be desired from a consumer standpoint.

That said, if they ever got this to the point of a palatable product, I'd be an immediate convert. I'm embarrased by my carnivorous ways, knowing full well we'd all be better off (and so would the planet) if we ate lower on the food chain.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
Wait a minute--does this mean vegetarians could eat it?  It doesn't come from an animal, which means they should be able to eat it...right?

I was just thinking the same thing. Hey, Soxy, care to comment?