Bench Paulie's Ass!!!

retro1983hat

I was at last night's game (my 10th of the year with 4 more to go) and the way Paulie tried to coast into second on what seemed like a for sure double was disgusting.

The ball went off the wall, the LF threw to the SS, who threw to 3B who attempted to tag Carl and then threw to 2B to throw Paulie's slow ass out.

That would have been 2nd and 3rd no out. Ozzie benched Uribe for not running out a fly ball a few weeks ago, he should sit Pualie for the same thing.

And while he's at it, sit Crede for not taking out thier catcher on that play at home.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Uribe didn't get benched? Also, I don't think PK watched the ball cause he thought it was gone. Rather, he was jammed so much, he thought that ball was going foul. If you noticed that particular hit, the ball didn't hook like it normally does off the bat of a righty. Watching the ball or not, that's not why PK was thrown out at 2nd. He stopped because he wasn't sure Everett was going to get to 3rd base. I'd rather not bench PK's ass when he's in his best stretch of the season. You want to bench someone? How about Crede, and his 2 consecutive ABs without being able to get the runner over?

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
I was at last night's game (my 10th of the year with 4 more to go) and the way Paulie tried to coast into second on what seemed like a for sure double was disgusting.

The ball went off the wall, the LF threw to the SS, who threw to 3B who attempted to tag Carl and then threw to 2B to throw Paulie's slow ass out.

That would have been 2nd and 3rd no out. Ozzie benched Uribe for not running out a fly ball a few weeks ago, he should sit Pualie for the same thing.

And while he's at it, sit Crede for not taking out thier catcher on that play at home.

These are reasons why I don't see paulie back next year...say hello to Lyle Overbay!

first of all it looked to me that he was safe at second. Second he wasnt watching a homerun he was making sure the throw didnt come into second. Good base running, probably not. But it wasnt like he was being cocky or lazy.

dont bench are best hitter while are team is going through hitting probelms because of one poor base running play.

Paulie's and Crede's gaffes yesterday are just indicitive of the bad baseball we have been playing for two weeks. We are not playing the baseball that got us to the best record in baseball (only one game ahead of the Cards BTW). We are swinging for the fences and can't move runners over.

Get them on.

Get them over.

Get them in.

Lately, its been:

Get them on.

Pop it up.

Strike out.

Inning over!

Wow, everyone needs to take some Midol.

Baseball 101. He did not coast, it was not a sure double He only advanced to second because of the throw to third. He actually pulled up and slowed down until he saw the direction of the throw. Secondly, he was safe.

Its clear you are b****ing about something just to b****, but make sure you actually watch the play first.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
Wow, everyone needs to take some Midol.

Baseball 101.  He did not coast, it was not a sure double  He only advanced to second because of the throw to third.  He actually pulled up and slowed down until he saw the direction of the throw.  Secondly, he was safe. 

Its clear you are b****ing about something just to b****, but make sure you actually watch the play first.

Paulie wasn't running to first. Hawk even said it. He just slowly started jogging to first, watching where the ball landed. What he did between first and second isn't my issue.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
Paulie wasn't running to first.  Hawk even said it.  He just slowly started jogging to first, watching where the ball landed.  What he did between first and second isn't my issue.

I dont care what Hawk said, I was there, I was 15 feet away, it was good, smart baserunning, and he was safe. It was a bad call. Period, end of story.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
Yeah Paul looked pretty safe, usually against the Twins the Sox don't get the close calls, so it seems. But I don't really blame him if he was waiting to see if Everett was going to third.

I think the hesitation between 1st and 2nd was becaue he wasn't sure where the cut-off throw was going. Once he saw that the guy threw to 3rd he tried to sneak into 2nd. But again, the whole problem with the play was that he was lollygagging to first base. Ozzie is being a hypocrite for letting that slide.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
I think the hesitation between 1st and 2nd was becaue he wasn't sure where the cut-off throw was going.  Once he saw that the guy threw to 3rd he tried to sneak into 2nd.  But again, the whole problem with the play was that he was lollygagging to first base.  Ozzie is being a hypocrite for letting that slide.

True, and he doesn't have the speed to mess around on the base paths. If he would've made it to 2nd, and if Crede was a bit faster, it would've been a tied game, but too many if's make too many loses. So let's just get them tonight.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
I think the hesitation between 1st and 2nd was becaue he wasn't sure where the cut-off throw was going.  Once he saw that the guy threw to 3rd he tried to sneak into 2nd.  But again, the whole problem with the play was that he was lollygagging to first base.  Ozzie is being a hypocrite for letting that slide.

Letting what slide? A smart piece of baserunning and a horrible call by the ump?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
I dont care what Hawk said, I was there, I was 15 feet away, it was good, smart baserunning, and he was safe.  It was a bad call.  Period, end of story.

I was there too and Paulie was not busting his ass.

I absolutely love this team and how they built this record but they are not doing those little things right now.

Paulie and the rest of the Sox do not have enough talent to win on talent alone.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)

I was there too. He wasn't sure if the throw was going to 2nd or 3rd and he froze in between, then started again and of course got thrown out.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
I was there too and Paulie was not busting his ass.

I absolutely love this team and how they built this record but they are not doing those little things right now.

Paulie and the rest of the Sox do not have enough talent to win on talent alone.

where were you, cause maybe you were not paying attention to the runner, and more to where the ball was, and what Carl was doing. Because it was a smart baserunning move by Paulie advancing to 2nd, and his approach to first had nothing to do with him making 2nd, he had to wait for thr throw either way, and he waited in the correct position. Build a bridge, get over it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
where were you, cause maybe you were not paying attention to the runner, and more to where the ball was, and what Carl was doing.  Because it was a smart baserunning move by Paulie advancing to 2nd, and his approach to first had nothing to do with him making 2nd, he had to wait for thr throw either way, and he waited in the correct position.  Build a bridge, get over it.

It seems that everyone but you thinks differently.... ins someone in denial or just in love with Konerko?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
It seems that everyone but you thinks differently.... ins someone in denial or just in love with Konerko?

Everyone? or just two people. In fact, if you check my posts, I am all for letting him go, as I dont like him at all. But to accuse someone of being lazy when they were playing smart baseball is ridiculous. He could of walked to 1st for all I care, the key was him waiting for the throw to gauge whether or not he could go to second. He waited in the right spot, advanced to second, and was safe. There is nothing else you can ask for in a baseball player. It was a smart play, I was sitting right there, and I think he should be congradulated by Ozzie for his smart and aggressive play.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
There is nothing else you can ask for in a baseball player.  It was a smart play, I was sitting right there, and I think he should be congradulated by Ozzie for his smart and aggressive play.

That was a smart play to hold for an instant between 1B and 2B. What wasn't a smart play was standing in the box thinking the ball was going foul, and then just before it hits down, start running. That's where Pauly f***ed up. Replays over and over showed Pauly's ass standing in the box as the ball dropped inside the line. If he would have ran for the getgo, it would have been a standup double. RUN IT OUT!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
1.  Paulie beat the tag.

2.  Paulie slowed down between 1st and 2nd to make sure the throw wasn't going straight to 2nd - if they had done that he'd have been meat even if he'd been flooring it.

Those are the only 2 parts I care about.

You dont care that he was loafing from the start? That bothers me more than anything. Pauly deserved to be called out. Sweet justice. Maybe he'll run the next one out.