Bench Paulie's Ass!!!

retro1983hat

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
Pauly didn't start running till the ball just landed fair.  Slow or not, that cost Pauly substantial ground.

Ground? As has been said numerous times, it was the umpire's mistake. Paulie made the right decision. He did nothing wrong because he was SAFE. You're trying to be a perfectionist. Would u still be argung if he had been called safe, which should have happened? People with attitudes like yours are the reason no one expects much from the Sox..........

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Ground? As has been said numerous times, it was the umpire's mistake. Paulie made the right decision. He did nothing wrong because he was SAFE. You're trying to be a perfectionist. Would u still be argung if he had been called safe, which should have happened? People with attitudes like yours are the reason no one expects much from the Sox..........

Hindsight is always 20/20, and now we are arguing against his break from the box. It wasnt a stand up double, his only chance to advance was on a throw to 3rd base, which he did, and was safe. I mean, Carl walked to first on a single last night, and nobody is on his ass about it today.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)

Nothing wrong? He stood in the box waiting for the ball to land fair or foul. Wasn't Juan chastised by Ozzie recently because a ball Juan thought was going foul actually went fair? Could be wrong, actually. I am arguing nothing but the fact he stood watching the ball landing fair or foul. Nothing more.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
Nothing wrong?  He stood in the box waiting for the ball to land fair or foul.  Wasn't Juan chastised by Ozzie recently because a ball Juan thought was going foul actually went fair?  Could be wrong, actually.

Wow, so instead of this being an argument about his actual play, and the outcome, its based on whether or not his not sprinting out of the box immediately was wrong?

Wow, just wow. I guess when there is nothing else to b**** about. Wait, nobody mentioned the 3 straight K's, the reluctance of getting the runner over and scoring him. But that damn moral issue of sprinting out of the box.....

I take it from Konerko what happened on the play over anyone's opinion.

""I didn't know where the ball was hit because I got jammed so bad," Konerko said. "I thought the throw (from the outfield) was going to second. When it went to third, I tried getting in there. What can you do?"

Christ people. You expect perfection. Paulie had a damn brain cramp. It happens to people every day, even ML baseball players. Paulie's never been one to dog it. Doesn't years of watching him bust his ass carry any weight?

He lost sight of the ball, which he said ... and had a momentary pause. That pause cost him. It was a mistake, but it damn sure wasn't Paulie dogging it because he didn't want to hustle.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Christ people.  You expect perfection.  Paulie had a damn brain cramp.  It happens to people every day, even ML baseball players.  Paulie's never been one to dog it.  Doesn't years of watching him bust his ass carry any weight? 

He lost sight of the ball, which he said ... and had a momentary pause.  That pause cost him.  It was a mistake, but it damn sure wasn't Paulie dogging it because he didn't want to hustle.

but..but...but he was wrong

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
I am not even going to read this thread...seriously, bench Kong, then we have who playing 1B? Timo? Ozuna? Widger? Dye? Blum? I'll stick with the most dangerous bat in the lineup.

What the f*** is wrong with you? Using logic is not allowed here!

Rock you are dead wrong on this one.

I know that being 15 feet from the play you feel that you had a better angle. Watch the play over and over via tivo or on MLB.com.

Konerko hits the ball. Then stands at home plate watching the ball. The minute it hits down fair he takes off. He overshoots his rounding of first and sees the ball going into 3rd and then hesitates and takes off. The third baseman throws over. The tag is late however the ump called him out.

He did watch it, and if he is not guilty of this then Carlos Lee is not guilty of standing watching 2 balls hit off the fence last year in August and getting thrown out doing the same thing.

Konerko didnt bust out or even run the play out. He got caught making an ass out of himself, no matter what the excuse is.

You can sugar coat it and say that he doesnt need to run out every play because this aint little league, but this team without any offense is built on getting timely hits, making good decisions on the basepaths and hustle. Hence the grinder crap we have been hearing over and over.

We have had year after year of guys admiring their homers, and a few times it catches them. This time it caught Pauly. Hopefully this embarassment will help him and his play for the rest of the season.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
Rock you are dead wrong on this one.

He overshoots his rounding of first and sees the ball going into 3rd and then hesitates and takes off.  The third baseman throws over.  The tag is late however the ump called him out.

He did watch it, and if he is not guilty of this then Carlos Lee is not guilty of standing watching 2 balls hit off the fence last year in August and getting thrown out doing the same thing. 

Konerko didnt bust out or even run the play out. He got caught making an ass out of

We have had year after year of guys admiring their homers, and a few times it catches them.  This time it caught Pauly.  Hopefully this embarassment will help him and his play for the rest of the season.

Wow, you cant be more wrong. Even if he busted it out of the box, which he didnt, he wouldnt have made 2nd base standing up. He didnt overshoot 1st base, he stood between the two waiting for the throw to go into third instead of 2nd so that he could take the base. He then beat the tag and was safe, but the ump blew the call. From his own mouth this is what he was trying to do, and I believe him. He is not a showboat, and is not the kind of player who is lazy. He is a constant perfectionist who works as much time in the cage as on the field. You are way off base on this one.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Wow, you cant be more wrong.  Even if he busted it out of the box, which he didnt, he wouldnt have made 2nd base standing up.  He didnt overshoot 1st base, he stood between the two waiting for the throw to go into third instead of 2nd so that he could take the base.  He then beat the tag and was safe, but the ump blew the call.  From his own mouth this is what he was trying to do, and I believe him.  He is not a showboat, and is not the kind of player who is lazy.  He is a constant perfectionist who works as much time in the cage as on the field.  You are way off base on this one.

I am not saying that if he busted out of the box he would of got to second. Most MLB players sure, but Konerko is slower than an ox.

But he did stay in the box to watch his ball. He DIDNT run the ball out.

We need to grind every play out because our .231 team BA in August doesnt allow for a lot of mistakes. Pauly has been hitting the s*** out of the ball. But he did watch this one, he is human and we all would watch a would be dong if we could.

But he did watch it. 4 He has watched a few balls go out of the park like Carlos Lee.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
SSI, our arguments last WAY too long and I dont feel like getting into it, agree to disagree?

True, I respect your opinion even though we do come up on the other end of the argument at times.

Can we both agree that Timo doesnt belong as the leadoff guy. I think that is where we can find our middle ground.

LOL

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
True,  I respect your opinion even though we do come up on the other end of the argument at times.

Can we both agree that Timo doesnt belong as the leadoff guy.  I think that is where we can find our middle ground.

LOL

No way, Timo is clutch! Just look at his splits. GOD!!!!

Ozzie learned this from a game when he played for the Braves against the Reds (i believe). Andruw Jones didn't hustle towards a ball that was hit to the left of him. Right after that Bobby Cox pulled Andruw from the game and told him that if this was the best he could do than he would sit his ass on the bench for the rest of the season. Andruw was sorry and told that to Bobby and his teamates.