Skip Griffey

VAfan

I'm now officially done with thinking about Ken Griffey. He's not happening.

The Sox should instead focus seriously on using the talent we have in our system. Look at Atlanta, or Oakland. Both clubs that have thrown rookies into the mix to great effect.

It is not too late for us to do the same. We are loaded with talented outfielders. Brian Anderson, who is finally up. Chris Young. Jerry Owens.

Ozzie, you need to use these guys. NOW. Bobby Jenks made the jump from AA. I don't see why the others can't. (I would likely bring them up after rosters expand and use Anderson until then.)

If I see Timo in a starting role again this year, it is going to kill me.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
I'm now officially done with thinking about Ken Griffey.  He's not happening. 

The Sox should instead focus seriously on using the talent we have in our system.  Look at Atlanta, or Oakland.  Both clubs that have thrown rookies into the mix to great effect.

It is not too late for us to do the same.  We are loaded with talented outfielders.  Brian Anderson, who is finally up.  Chris Young.  Jerry Owens. 

Ozzie, you need to use these guys.  NOW.  Bobby Jenks made the jump from AA.  I don't see why the others can't.  (I would likely bring them up after rosters expand and use Anderson until then.)

Some diehard Sox fan needs to kidnap Timo and drop him off in the middle of the ocean.

I'm now officially done with thinking about Ken Griffey.  He's not happening. 

The Sox should instead focus seriously on using the talent we have in our system.  Look at Atlanta, or Oakland.  Both clubs that have thrown rookies into the mix to great effect.

It is not too late for us to do the same.  We are loaded with talented outfielders.  Brian Anderson, who is finally up.  Chris Young.  Jerry Owens. 

Ozzie, you need to use these guys.  NOW.  Bobby Jenks made the jump from AA.  I don't see why the others can't.  (I would likely bring them up after rosters expand and use Anderson until then.)

Okay,if we don't get Griffey,then these kids better start hitting,and fast!

QUOTE(WSNS-TV44 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
Or someone could drop him off at Wrigleyville.Then Timo wishes he was in the middle of the ocean! :lol:

Are you kidding, nobody would recognize him there, they dont even know their own players. f***, I dont think I would recognize Timo on the street. He is a nothing.

(I would likely bring them up after rosters expand and use Anderson until then.)

They'd be real useful in the playoffs then. Oh wait, they'd be ineligible. The whole point of the Griffey trade would be to push for the World Series.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
Are you kidding, nobody would recognize him there, they dont even know their own players.  f***, I dont think I would recognize Timo on the street.  He is a nothing.

Yeah,that's right.Plus,they'll be too drunk as well.

I for one don't want to put our playoff hopes on the shoulders of players who've had some success at the minor league level and have done nothing in the majors. It's one thing if young guys who are unproven are on your team for the majority of the season, mesh, and start to be successful. It's another to call up young guys and expect them to be successful immediately. Heck, just look at how Oakland started out.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
Even if we brought up some of the young outfielders Ozzie would keep them on the bench and start Timo.  So what's the point of bringing them up?

If you are referring to last night, its because brian anderson didnt join the team until 3 Pm yesterday. He didnt want the kid to play after traveling all day.

The #1 reason you won't be seeing any of the "young, talented outfielders" in our system called up in september is.... THEY'RE NOT ON THE 40. You can only call up players on the 40 man roster to play in September. The only ones you'd be seeing are Anderson and Borchard. Sweeney (who's not even close to MLB ready), Young and Owens are all in AA and not on the 40 man roster.

You're going to be seeing Timo for the rest of the year, get over it, it's not gonna change.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
Come on guys.  This might be our one shot to get a World Series.  The way the sox have been playing lately, they wouldn't make it out of the first round.  we need something to jumpstart this lineup... and an inexperienced rook is not that answer.

you also cant over look what adding a guy like griffey would do for:

A. the mentality of the team. you know it would pump them up and show them that management believes in them and wants to win. i think it would be a huge boost

B. what he will do for the batters around him. you will see an improvement in their play imo. right now, griffey is just locked in. hes looking balls into the catcher, he is seeing the ball great. and his bat speed is getting back to what it used to be. hes ripped 2 opp field lasers for home runs in the last 2 games

QUOTE(RDriesen @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
you also cant over look what adding a guy like griffey would do for:

A.  the mentality of the team.  you know it would pump them up and show them that management believes in them and wants to win.  i think it would be a huge boost

B.  what he will do for the batters around him.  you will see an improvement in their play imo.  right now, griffey is just locked in.  hes looking balls into the catcher, he is seeing the ball great.  and his bat speed is getting back to what it used to be.  hes ripped 2 opp field lasers for home runs in the last 2 games

quit saying stuff like this! My emotions can only take so much! ;)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
The #1 reason you won't be seeing any of the "young, talented outfielders" in our system called up in september is.... THEY'RE NOT ON THE 40. You can only call up players on the 40 man roster to play in September. The only ones you'd be seeing are Anderson and Borchard. Sweeney (who's not even close to MLB ready), Young and Owens are all in AA and not on the 40 man roster.

You're going to be seeing Timo for the rest of the year, get over it, it's not gonna change.

I accept it is not going to happen any more than we are getting Ken Griffey in a trade. That doesn't mean I have to shut up about it.

And if we wanted to put Chris Young on the 40 man, I'd be all too happy to release Timo Perez to make that happen. (I'm sure there are other options of guys we could get rid of.) Just realize it is a choice management is making. In my opinion the wrong choice.

Look at Franceour for Atlanta. The kid is a lightening rod for the team. I think Brian Anderson, Chris Young, or Jerry Owens could be a similar lightening rod for our team, which looks asleep right now, if management would let them fill that role. Trouble is, I don't know which of those 3 guys could actually get hot. (Remember Joe Crede's first year call up? Still the best he's ever hit.) My guess would be Young, Anderson, Owens in that order, with Joe Borchard a distant 4th (but still a better choice than Timo Perez). I picked Young because his K/BB ratio is better than Anderson's. But I'm willing to let Anderson have the first crack because he's already up here.

Ozzie, please play him. Everyday. 2-3 days on the bench and you can guarantee he'll go stale.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
I accept it is not going to happen any more than we are getting Ken Griffey in a trade.  That doesn't mean I have to shut up about it. 

And if we wanted to put Chris Young on the 40 man, I'd be all too happy to release Timo Perez to make that happen.  (I'm sure there are other options of guys we could get rid of.)  Just realize it is a choice management is making.  In my opinion the wrong choice.

Look at Franceour for Atlanta.  The kid is a lightening rod for the team.  I think Brian Anderson, Chris Young, or Jerry Owens could be a similar lightening rod for our team, which looks asleep right now, if management would let them fill that role.  Trouble is, I don't know which of those 3 guys could actually get hot.  (Remember Joe Crede's first year call up?  Still the best he's ever hit.)  My guess would be Young, Anderson, Owens in that order, with Joe Borchard a distant 4th (but still a better choice than Timo Perez).  I picked Young because his K/BB ratio is better than Anderson's.  But I'm willing to let Anderson have the first crack because he's already up here. 

Ozzie, please play him.  Everyday.  2-3 days on the bench and you can guarantee he'll go stale.

Jeff Francoeur is also the 14th ranked prospect in all of baseball as well as #1 in the Braves Org. There were no other minor league OFers left in front of him after Kelly Johnson so he was the next to come up after they lost both of their corner OFers. The White Sox currently have a temperary spot open in LF and that is all. There are at least 2 OFers ahead of Chris Young in the orginization in Borch and Brian Anderson (who is now up). They weren't going to purchase his contract and bring him up for the extent of Pods' injury and leave Anderson down in AAA, seeing how Anderson is ahead of him and there's only one spot on the roster for them to fill.

Brian Anderson most likely will stay on the team through August and then September. Chris Young and Jerry Owens will both stay in B-ham through the end of the AA season. You will not be seeing them in the big leagues anytime soon. Especially Owens.

Timo is here to stay.

Okay let's bring up Haigwood he can be our Felix Hernandez, then we will promote Bajenaru again he can be our Huston Street, if Brian Anderson doesn't make a good Jeff Francouer then we can still try Young, Owens, and even Sweeney. After this we should be all set.

/sarcasm