What About Mike Sweeney?

tonyho7476

I heard Sweeney cleared waivers...how about him for our DH, and then Everett in the OF until Pods is back...and then we can platoon Sweeney and Everett for the rest of the year. Then next year, Sweeney is the DH or 1b. Thoughts? Do we know he cleared waivers?

Again, this is what I heard. With all these damn rumors, I don't know what is true anymore.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
I heard Sweeney cleared waivers...how about him for our DH, and then Everett in the OF until Pods is back...and then we can platoon Sweeney and Everett for the rest of the year.  Then next year, Sweeney is the DH or 1b.  Thoughts?  Do we know he cleared waivers? 

Again, this is what I heard.  With all these damn rumors, I don't know what is true anymore.

A pipe dream of the best variety, that is.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
Why?  Because he is in the division?

Mostly. People have been trying to pry Sweeney from the Royals for years, and the Royals continue to blow smoke up his ass about seriously rebuilding, and he continues to buy it. Sweeney hasnt gotten the World Series "Itch" yet, and seems really happy collecting paychecks with a hurt back half the time and playing the other half of the time.

Dont get me wrong, i would love to add Mike Sweeney, but I would think Griffey would happen way before Sweeney was even approached.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Why is it that I think Griffey would stay healthy better than Sweeney?  Take Griffey out of the field and I bet he doesn't get hurt more than 1 time before his contract ends.

I'd definately rather have Griffey...but we need to get a bat...the hitting is getting ridiculous.

I hate this,"because they are in the same division crap". The KC Royals have no chance of competing on the same level as the rest of major league baseball unless they trade sweeney. The Pirates traded with the Cubs twice now in deadline deals in 03 and now in 05, so its not something that is uncommon.

I seriously don't want Mike Sweeney. He'll make $12.5M in '06 and '07. I Don't want to pay a 32 year old DH with a horribly bad back (which constantly flares up) $25M over the next two seasons. He can't stay healthy at all 100 games out of him is not worth that kind of money.

People b**** about Griffey's hamstring injury, Sweeney's back is 1000X worse.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
I hate this,"because they are in the same division crap". The KC Royals have no chance of competing on the same level as the rest of major league baseball unless they trade sweeney. The Pirates traded with the Cubs twice now in deadline deals in 03 and now in 05, so its not something that is uncommon.

the old "Pittsburgh did it, why cant we?" reasoning. Pittsburghs GM is a total dips***, thats why. Pittsburgh has been consistently fleeced by Hendry, thats why.

Because the Royals and Sox havent had a trade between them since the late 80's thats why. Because Sweeney is the face of their franchise, and trading him to the division leaders would be bad PR, thats why.

You dont give a team in your division a leg up, just because they want it.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
Also, you might have to top the Angels offer of Kotchman.

I don't know if Kenny is even interested in Sweeny, but, you certainly can't afford to get in a bidding war over him.

Nothing doing.

Casey Kotchman >>> anything we have in our minor leagues. It'd take a s*** load to get him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
Casey Kotchman >>> anything we have in our minor leagues. It'd take a s*** load to get him.

Bingo. Actually, when those rumors surfaced, I was VERY suprised the Royals didn't pursue it further. Both would benefit in a MAJOR, MAJOR way.

Sweeny is off to play on a contending teams in the playoffs.

The Royals have the 1B of the future.

Yet, no deal.

Figure that one out. Sweeny ain't going anywhere.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
Bingo.  Actually, when those rumors surfaced, I was VERY suprised the Royals didn't pursue it further.  Both would benefit in a MAJOR, MAJOR way.

Sweeny is off to play on a contending teams in the playoffs.

The Royals have the 1B of the future.

Yet, no deal.

Figure that one out.  Sweeny ain't going anywhere.

Which means if the Royals wouldn't except Casey Kotchman, a 10 ten prospect in all of baseball and a top 5 position player for Mike Sweeney, it's going to be near impossible for the Sox to pry him away from the Royals.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
I think if the Royals really wanted to move him the Astros, Dodgers, and Angels would have made a HUGE push for him.  I think Royals will hold on to him, maybe they think they can get more for him in the offseason and explore it then

It's not about what they're getting in return. It's about the fact that he is the team leader, the best player on that team and nearly the only major leaguer they have. If they dump him, Royals fans will have 0 reason to watch the games.

Kotchman for Sweeney is more than enough for the Royals to accept the trade, they're not going to get much more than that during the offseason.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)
It's not about what they're getting in return. It's about the fact that he is the team leader, the best player on that team and nearly the only major leaguer they have. If they dump him, Royals fans will have 0 reason to watch the games.

Kotchman for Sweeney is more than enough for the Royals to except the trade, they're not going to get much more than that during the offseason.

"Except" a trade? I think you mean "accept". :P

Grammar police coming at ya!

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
"Except" a trade?  I think you mean "accept". :P

Grammar police coming at ya!

Why must you do that? I think we have established by now that for the most part I'll use proper grammar but at times there will be a serious slip up and I'll do something stupid like that. If really want to find something wrong with my posts, just about every one contains a comma splice. :D

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
Why must you do that? I think we have established by now that for the most part I'll use proper grammar but at times there will be a serious slip up and I'll do something stupid like that. If really want to find something wrong with my posts, just about every one contains a comma splice. :D

eye dnt lyke wen U yuse unpropor grammer. It mkes mi mad.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)

:lol:

I just couldn't help myself

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)

Kotchman for Sweeney is more than enough for the Royals to accept the trade, they're not going to get much more than that during the offseason.

They're mired in the cellar with a 17 game losing streak. What reason do they have now?

Just want to point out...Angels turned down acquiring his contract at the trade deadline and I'd think they plan on doing the same thing. They don't appear all that interested in Sweeney. Although, Oaklands surge could definately make them think a little harder.

Also Casey Kochman will not be part of the package, he wouldn't clear waivers. On a sidenote, he's starting to look a lot more like the guy scouts thought he'd be (ie a pretty damn good player). Seems to be a lot more agressive during his most recent callup and its showing (average is still awful, but lately he's been doing pretty good or at least in the games I've seen).