LENNON MUSICAL SAVAGED BY CRITICS

Texsox

http://contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mn...%20by%20critics

I'm thinking why do a musical about a dead Russian?

A new musical based on the life of late BEATLE JOHN LENNON has been torn apart by critics following its debut performance last night (15AUG05), but his widow YOKO ONO loved it anyway.

Following its first night in Broadway, New York, LENNON has been accused of being more about his controversial relationship with Ono than anything else, virtually ignoring his legendary days in the Fab Four.

A critic from the New York Times damned the production as "drippy" and "clunky", while a reviewer from the New York Post complained it was a "show positioned between a rock and a hard Ono".

However, Ono insists, "It is definitely John's story. I am the B-side and that it is how it should be.

"I think he would be jumping up and down. I think he would have loved it."

Lennon was shot dead in New York on 4 December 1980.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
The reviews of the actual musical performances were more kind.  But I think the producer and director have to be rethinking their strategy of letting Yoko have so much input into the production.

From what little i heard....they didn't exactly want or welcome her into the production. i think she pulled rank and put herself in charge and gee...it sucked.

Big surprise to anyone named Yoko i guess.

:cheers :gosox3:

QUOTE(juddling @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
From what little i heard....they didn't exactly want or welcome her into the production.  i think she pulled rank and put herself in charge and gee...it sucked.

Big surprise to anyone named  Yoko i guess.

:cheers  :gosox3:

That would make sense. She probably tied licensing agreement of the songs to her involvement in the production.

And for the record, all of you that think Yoko is just awful... you should know that I have it a lot worse because I own (and have been permanently damaged by) a copy of the Two Virgins LP. That's the one that did come in a brown paper wrapper, but unfortunately did NOT come with a big letters that read, "Warning, Naked Yoko Ono Pictures Inside!" :crying :crying