Atlanta banning begging

southsider2k5

I know I will probably come off as an insensitive bastard, but I think this law is a good thing.

They did this in Dallas a year ago, and it makes a big difference on the street corners, it really does.

Besides that, if I want to help out a homeless person, there's a lot of ways besides giving money to someone on a street corner, and often times that money is used to support habits and such that put them right back on the street corner the next day.

The only time I think it sucks is Labor Day, when the fireman can't collect for Jerry's kids.

I can understand the sentiment. At the same time I think the no panhandling laws can really screw up the vibe of a city if they get carried away. When they started making the street musicians all wear badges and work assigned corners in downtown chicago in the 80s it was odd but I got used to it.

But in places down here like St. Augustine, they have gone draconian and have outright banned street performers. St. Augustine is a really neat old city (the oldest in America actually), and the street musicians along the major walking boulevard added a huge amount of character. Now they're just trying to sterilize the place and the cultural feel of the town has suffered for it.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 08:17 PM)
I can understand the sentiment.  At the same time I think the no panhandling laws can really screw up the vibe of a city if they get carried away.  When they started making the street musicians all wear badges and work assigned corners in downtown chicago in the 80s it was odd but I got used to it.

But in places down here like St. Augustine, they have gone draconian and have outright banned street performers.  St. Augustine is a really neat old city (the oldest in America actually), and the street musicians along the major walking boulevard added a huge amount of character.  Now they're just trying to sterilize the place and the cultural feel of the town has suffered for it.

I would agree that goes too far. I don't know if the law as written goes that far here in Dallas or not. Interesting thought.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
You DO know that its illegal in Chicago and it is still a huge problem

It's an unpunishable crime. I'm a homeless guy in the dead of winter, I beg for some money. Either I get money from people, and am cold on the street. I don't get money from people, and am cold on the street. Or I get picked up by the cops. Then what? They fine me? All the money I've got? or send me to a nice, warm jail and give me a meal or two?

Might as well beg, won't possibly be any worse off.

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
It's an unpunishable crime.  I'm a homeless guy in the dead of winter, I beg for some money.  Either I get money from people, and am cold on the street.  I don't get money from people, and am cold on the street.  Or I get picked up by the cops.  Then what?  They fine me?  All the money I've got?  or send me to a nice, warm jail and give me a meal or two? 

You're homeless?

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
It's an unpunishable crime.  I'm a homeless guy in the dead of winter, I beg for some money.  Either I get money from people, and am cold on the street.  I don't get money from people, and am cold on the street.  Or I get picked up by the cops.  Then what?  They fine me?  All the money I've got?  or send me to a nice, warm jail and give me a meal or two? 

Yeah, but it doesnt change the fact that its illegal. And alot of the people that beg in chicago are not really homeless, especially the panhandlers who are on the train and in the loop every day. These people DO have home, and DO go home everynight. Therefor going to jail is not the picnic you are making it out to be.