Nicknames.

Rex Kickass

The past few years I have been, thankfully, nicknameless. But this thread got me thinking back and I guess I have had a couple that lasted a little while.

Growing up, my at-home nicknames were 'Kimo' and 'Diego', Hawaiian and Spanish equivalents of my first name (which I won't reveal for security reasons ;) ). For a while I was also 'Pablo' in a circle of friends, not because I have Paul anywhere in my name but because these were very dumb friends. They knew enough that my brother Joe would be 'Jose' in Spanish, but that was the extent of their Spanish and so I became Pablo.

Growing up, my best friend's older brother and his circle of jerk friends called me 'Bert' for several years. I didn't understand why for a long time until I realized they were making fun of the fact that I had busshy eyebrows and kind of a unibrow like Bert from Seseme Street. Thanks, guys. :angry: :angry:

Through high school I worked as a vender selling hotdogs and sodas and stuff at Lincoln Park Zoo, Buckingham Fountain, Oak St. Beach, Bears games, etc. Equipment was always broken in those vendor stands and so I was always fixing things with duct tape and wire and cable ties and ring clamps etc., so I got the nickname 'McGuyver.' Then in college I again got the nickname 'McGuyver' for wholly unrelated reasons. It turns out I was that guy everybody knows who could turn any object into, uhm..., recreational smoking paraphenalia. :)

I also got saddled with the unfortunate nickname 'Dummy' for one year in college, because of a loss in a high stakes game of Trivial Pursuit in which I attempted to take on (unsuccessfully, just barely) my four suite mates.

Thinking back, I also had a series of mostly stupid pet names given to me by various girlfriends. I was 'Saemus' to my first high school girlfriend, Irish for my first name (which is, again, a well-kept secret). I was also 'Mon Petit Champignon' to her for a while, which she told me was French for 'my little mushroom' :huh

I was called 'Fluffy' or 'Scruffy' by a girlfriend in college, depending on her mood. My wife, being fairly unoriginal, calls me 'Shmoopie,' ala' the Seinfeld episode.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
Thought as much. Unfortunatly not over here; more to do with the 5 finger shuffle around here. Either way, it's not realy called for.

That's the use I've always seen for calling someone a Wanker. It would be equivalent to calling someone a Jackoff ( or the more colloquial Jagoff ) here.

Either way, NOT a nickname I'd want.

As far as a nickname goes, whenever I see your screen name I just call you Plod, so that's the nickname I'll use for you.