Griffey Rumor

Mr. Showtime

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 06:25 AM)
wheres Anthrax? Oh, he is checking to see if Orlando Cabrera cleared yet.

Ahh yes, I'll bring forth the argument he'd say; "But he's hitting .272 in the 2nd half!!!!!"

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
Chavez was available?  Why didn't we get him?

because kw sucks. and reinsdorf won't spend the money. and he refused to be traded here. and fans never come to the games anyway...

*wishes knew how to do green text*

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
because kw sucks. and reinsdorf won't spend the money. and he refused to be traded here. and fans never come to the games anyway...

*wishes knew how to do green text*

Just highlight whatever you want to put in green. Then go to the color box and click green.

For once i am really liking what I am seeing on the sports illustrated homepage. John Donovan and Tom Verducci are pushing for the Reds to trade Griffey. It would be nice for the media to do something for the Sox besides pigeonholing all of their fans as meth-head field rushing idiots for once.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
For once i am really liking what I am seeing on the sports illustrated homepage.  John Donovan and Tom Verducci are pushing for the Reds to trade Griffey.  It would be nice for the media to do something for the Sox besides pigeonholing all of their fans as meth-head field rushing idiots for once.

yeah it would, I'd like to think the Griffey deal isn't dead, but I won't believe anything until I see him in a Sox uniform.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
yeah it would, I'd like to think the Griffey deal isn't dead, but I won't believe anything until I see him in a Sox uniform.

Here is the worrysome quote.

One other insider insisted Lindner's vetoing the supposed deal might have had as much to do with the Sox insisting the Reds pay 60 percent of the $40 million still owed Griffey and offering three players in return that did not include a No. 1-type pitcher.

So we are still far apart in money owed. So dont blame KW, Thanks Reinsdorf.

And we would have to give up a good pitching prospect.

I think the money is probably a lot of it.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)

I really believe right now that Griffey is all for it. Hopefully there will be some sort of pressure on the Cincinatti organization to get the deal done.

I can see it in my head, now I want to see it on my TV.

I wonder if this hinges on KW giving up one of his prized pitching prospects? On that thought, I also wonder if KW is willing to part with those prospects.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)

So we are still far apart in money owed.  So dont blame KW, Thanks Reinsdorf.

60 percent is huge. I wouldnt expect them to pick that much up, but i would expect them to pick SOME of it up.

Reinsdorf supposedly oked adding payroll, so we have to ask if:

A) this is a smokescreen from Lindner because he wants to sell the team with Griffey part of the team, or

B ) Is this Reinsdorf hedging about taking on more money than he wants, and trying to get the Reds to pay more of the contract.

Given the current situation, Im more inclined to believe this is more Lindner than it is Reinsdorf. but who really knows? Probably only the Reds and White Sox front office.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)

So we are still far apart in money owed.  So dont blame KW, Thanks Reinsdorf.

You think Reinsdorf would be willing to play a little more for Griffey especially since the Sox should make the playoffs (holding breath on that.) He'll get money back for that and it'll bring more fans to the ballpark to see Griffey play.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
You think Reinsdorf would be willing to play a little more for Griffey especially since the Sox should make the playoffs (holding breath on that.) He'll get money back for that and it'll bring more fans to the ballpark to see Griffey play.

Well for years he has said that the payroll was down because people didnt come to the park. Well people are coming in droves, lets see if he ponies up some bucks to make a run.

I have heard the rest of the deal is worth either 42 million bucks or as high as 81 million bucks. So that would mean the Sox are asking the Reds to pick up 24.6 million or 48.6 million, both astronomical numbers considering what they would be getting back, and despite much of the money being deferred. If this is the case, i can understand the reds saying no. But I just dont want to believe that the Sox would ask them to pay that much, the highest figure i have seen in print is 15 million.

i don't car what happens we just better start playing better because i am officially worried that this team might blow it. Getting ken grif would be a nice spark for this team and that is what we need to have, i say the sox should just pick up the whole contract and make it happen. because i don't see this team having another shot to make it to the big show anytime soon its been long enough. just make it happen!