Griffey Rumor

Mr. Showtime

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
A quick look at Griffey's YTD stat line:

.298 average, 32 homers, 89 rbi, 82 runs, .365 OBS, .571 SLG, .936 OPS, runners on base .302, RISP w/ 2 outs .327, .310 avg vs righties

Past month:

.343 avg, 9 homers, 21 rbi, 21 runs

I swear, Bruce better not just be stirring s*** up...

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
I swear, Bruce better not just be stirring s*** up...

Its a big possibility. Think about it, this is his swan song. With the Sox leaving the station, AM1000 will be able to increase their Bears coverage next year. They may not even need a baseball reporter. ( Notice how I refuse to call Bruce an expert). If the Sox indeed trade for Griffey, Levine can say he broke the story. He probably is looking for another job. If they don't trade for him, its just another miss, which, because there are so many right now, one more won't make much of a difference.

Lets assume Bruce is right here, that still brings us right back to where we were on the 31st, needing the reds ownership to sign off on the deal. I'd absolutely love for this to happen and I'm already getting my hopes up but I just don't see it happening.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
Lets assume Bruce is right here, that still brings us right back to where we were on the 31st, needing the reds ownership to sign off on the deal.  I'd absolutely love for this to happen and I'm already getting my hopes up but I just don't see it happening.

Yep, all along, I've been saying that until we hear that the Reds ownership has changed their minds, there's nothing to get excited about. It would not shock me if KW has agreed to take on a lot of Griffey Jr.'s contract.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
Yep, all along, I've been saying that until we hear that the Reds ownership has changed their minds, there's nothing to get excited about.  It would not shock me if KW has agreed to take on a lot of Griffey Jr.'s contract.

<_>

I can't believe I'm getting into this.

But...

You have to wonder if Kenny is willing to take on more $ that would mean one less prospect or something to that end.

Looking at the 40-man, Kenny is going to have to pull a serious rabbit out of his hat if Chris Young isn't involved in this deal.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
<_>

I can't believe I'm getting into this.

But...

You have to wonder if Kenny is willing to take on more $ that would mean one less prospect or something to that end.

Looking at the 40-man, Kenny is going to have to pull a serious rabbit out of his hat if Chris Young isn't involved in this deal.

I think it's safe to say that if we do trade for Griffey Jr., the price is going to be a lot higher than many on this site thought it would be.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
I think it's safe to say that if we do trade for Griffey Jr., the price is going to be a lot higher than many on this site thought it would be.

Well, I don't know about that. If anything, I think it will be as expected. Many of us were anticipating a deal revolving around Chris Young and I think that is exactly what we're looking at.

The real deal-breaker is going to be how much scratch Kenny is willing to take on.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
Well, I don't know about that.  If anything, I think it will be as expected.  Many of us were anticipating a deal revolving around Chris Young and I think that is exactly what we're looking at.

The real deal-breaker is going to be how much scratch Kenny is willing to take on.

Well, the initial deal had Rogo in it. I'm pretty sure he can't be in the deal now. It still seems to me like Honel would be a definite possibility of being included in the trade.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
Why do I think that its very possible Levine mentions these things so he can see all the action it brings on message boards? I have a feeling that if his reports were ignored on the boards, he wouldn't mention half the falsehoods he does.

Message boards? Um, no.

Feeling the pressure of being consider ESPN radio's Chicago affiliate's "baseball insider"...perhaps.

Now, I'm not saying the guy is making up stories.

Wait...

Is that what I'm saying? I don't know.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Message boards?  Um, no.

Feeling the pressure of being consider ESPN radio's Chicago affiliate's "baseball insider"...perhaps.

Now, I'm not saying the guy is making up stories.

Wait...

Is that what I'm saying?  I don't know.

It can't be a good thing when you don't know what you're saying. :P

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Well, the initial deal had Rogo in it.  I'm pretty sure he can't be in the deal now.  It still seems to me like Honel would be a definite possibility of being included in the trade.

I was thinking along the same lines.

It would be a near-certainty that Rogo is not included in the deal.

Spitballing: Young + Honel + Mid-level pitching prospect + Ability to take on a considerable amount of $.

The report I heard was the deal was immenent (sp?) and they were crossing t's and dotting i's for the announcement tomorrow.  Same feeling as the other posters.  I assume KW JR and the boys are jsut balancing the check to see if they really want to do this.

You heard this on AM 1000? Is this the same as when Levine was on with Tom Schaer early this afternoon?

I did not personally hear anything so I'm trying to figure out what was said or if there's been an update. I have a friend of mine who is ready to commit hari kari over this whole situation.