We suck

BigSqwert

Now I'm "sipping the kool aid" because I'm confident that the best team in baseball since April will come out of a slump that has taken place while one of the teams most important players who produces a great deal of runs has been on the DL? Okay, I guess I'm just a homer fan with no idea of how baseball works. You guys are right, the Sox are going to go into the playoffs and get their asses handed to them, no contest.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Now I'm "sipping the kool aid" because I'm confident that the best team in baseball since April will come out of a slump that has taken place while one of the teams most important players who produces a great deal of runs has been on the DL? Okay, I guess I'm just a homer fan with no idea of how baseball works. You guys are right, the Sox are going to go into the playoffs and get their asses handed to them, no contest.

Our starters had a 2.99 ERA in the first two months. Our pitching was lights out. We scratched enough runs across the board to win.

In late May we started to slump a bit. Then Thomas came in gave us life. Then the cub series happened. We scored a lot in that first game. We then lost that series getting shut down. We then had problems hitting Detroits team on the road. We beat up Tampa then got swept against the As. Thats how we finished up the second half.

Its not like we have been hitting well all year or this is only a two week slump. We have sucked for a while and our pitching has been doing great.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 03:50 AM)
Now I'm "sipping the kool aid" because I'm confident that the best team in baseball since April will come out of a slump that has taken place while one of the teams most important players who produces a great deal of runs has been on the DL?

Pods produces a lot of runs? PK has 10 more runs scored this season, and Pods still has less than 20 RBI this year. If anyone really thinks our offense has completely tanked because Pods is out, they obviously haven't been watching the last few months. The bottom of our order is just brutal, and now that Dye sucks again, we're missing our 2nd best power guy.

There is nothing postive from this 5 game slump. Our hitting is atrocious and has been for most of the year but oddly enough our pitching has given up 34 runs in this 5 game skid(29 runs, if you take out Adkins). I think they are also starting to feel the heat from this slump and lack of support. They allowed 18 runs combined to a Twins team that came in struggling like us to score runs. Granted 5 of those runs were by Adkins and the bullpen pitched its tail off yesterday and bailed out our offense every inning until Adkins 40+ pitch nightmare.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

Why be negative when there is very little to be negative about? Every time there's a slump, up go 50 threads about "(insert player's name here) needs to go!" or "Our offense sucks and can't score any runs!" or "KW needs to get Griffey here YESTERDAY!". Players are going to have streaks where they're good, and streaks where they're bad. If a few players go on bad streaks at the same time, the team might lose a few games in a row, but obviously this team is capable of winning, or they wouldn't have the best record in the AL (and in baseball if St. Louis lost today), and a commanding lead in the Central.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 04:33 AM)
There's alot of people here that don't deserve this team.

I didn't know that we have to pay a fee to be a fan of the team? Just because some of us are loyal optimists with the team, it doesn't make us better or worse fans than anyone else. And I don't see how anyone could think this is just a minor slump. We've looked like s*** for a while now, and we suck at home.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
Why be negative when there is very little to be negative about? Every time there's a slump, up go 50 threads about "(insert player's name here) needs to go!" or "Our offense sucks and can't score any runs!" or "KW needs to get Griffey here YESTERDAY!". Players are going to have streaks where they're good, and streaks where they're bad. If a few players go on bad streaks at the same time, the team might lose a few games in a row, but obviously this team is capable of winning, or they wouldn't have the best record in the AL (and in baseball if St. Louis lost today), and a commanding lead in the Central.

You probably think that the offense has been stellar all year long and this is just a recent think as of this series.

In April we hit .255 as a team Our opponents are held to .229BAA

20% of our runs are via the dong

In May we hit .254 as a team Opponents held to .252BAA

29% of the runs are via the dong

Big Frank comes back

In June we hit .271 as a team Opponents held to .241BA

28% of our runs are via the dong

In July we hit .279 Pitching starts to slip. Opponents batting .275BAA

24% of our runs are via the dong

Frank is on the DL

In August we hit .234 Our opponents are held to .254BAA

40% of our runs are via the dong in August

We need a bat like Griffey in the lineup

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
You probably think that the offense has been stellar all year long and this is just a recent think as of this series.

In April we hit .255 as a team  Our opponents are held to .229BAA

20% of our runs are via the dong

In May we hit  .254 as a team Opponents held to .252BAA

29% of the runs are via the dong

Big Frank comes back

In June we hit .271 as a team Opponents held to .241BA

28% of our runs are via the dong

In July we hit .279  Pitching starts to slip.  Opponents batting .275BAA

24% of our runs are via the dong

Frank is on the DL

In August we hit .234 Our opponents are held to .254BAA

40% of our runs are via the dong in August

We need a bat like Griffey in the lineup

I don't think the offense has been "stellar" all year long, far from it, however, I also don't think that our offense has been horrible either. They've been about average, and with the stellar pitching that the White Sox have had for most of the season, that's all it has needed to be. I wouldn't call allowing a .275 BAA great either, and the pitching was part of the reason the Sox had trouble in July. Obviously, the hitters have had trouble this month, and that's why the team is struggling now. However, I don't feel the need to say that everyone on this team sucks just because of a few bad games, and there isn't a logical reason as far as I'm concerned for saying such things.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
I don't think the offense has been "stellar" all year long, far from it, however, I also don't think that our offense has been horrible either. They've been about average, and with the stellar pitching that the White Sox have had for most of the season, that's all it has needed to be. I wouldn't call allowing a .275 BAA great either, and the pitching was part of the reason the Sox had trouble in July. Obviously, the hitters have had trouble this month, and that's why the team is struggling now. However, I don't feel the need to say that everyone on this team sucks just because of a few bad games, and there isn't a logical reason as far as I'm concerned for saying such things.

Actually our offense is horrible. Lets look at the stats.

Our BA is 11th out of 14 teams in the AL. Minnesota, KC and Seattle are still behind us. So stringing some hits together is a tough sell.

Our OBP is 12th out of 14 teams. Again we are ahead of KC and Seattle. So we are never on base.

We are last in the AL in singles.

We are dead last in the AL in doubles by a good margin.

But we hit a s***load of homers we are 4th in the AL. And a lot of solo ones by the OBP and BA numbers.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
Are you watching this team?? It's not only a 5 game losing streak.  They have looked like crap for about a month now.  It's not like they won 12 straight right before the 5 game skid.  Stop sipping the kool aid.

I am sipping the kool aid. Seriously. I have been since this team jumped out to a lead in the division from day one and never looked back. Okay, I didn't start sipping right away. But sometime in May/June I saw the light, brethren, and sold my soul to the sox. I can't get it back, either.

The biggest fear around here is that the Sox are first half posers and second half losers on their way to a record dive in the standings. Let's play 162 before we draw that conclusion.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
I am sipping the kool aid. Seriously. I have been since this team jumped out to a lead in the division from day one and never looked back. Okay, I didn't start sipping right away. But sometime in May/June I saw the light, brethren, and sold my soul to the sox. I can't get it back, either.

The biggest fear around here is that the Sox are first half posers and second half losers on their way to a record dive in the standings. Let's play 162 before we draw that conclusion.

We are all sox fans and want this team to win the WS.

But we keep being an imbalanced team. For years we have been all bats and medicore pitching, with no 5th starter. Last year if we didnt have injuries and a 5th starter this team would of slugged its way to the playoffs.

This year the pitching and defense is great. Our hitting is now abysmal. We have been spoiled with multiple 300 hitters with power for years. Now we have a bunch of Jose Valentins at the plate. All or nothing. This is what frustrates.

The biggest fear for me is to go into the playoffs and watch this team get swept out with scores of 4-2, 5-2, and 7-4. In 2000 we were a hitting team that went silent in the playoffs. This year we are a pitching team that will face some real good hitting teams. If any of our pitchers have an off day it could be a blowout in a hurry.