Benson Only

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have NO knowledge of what happened last year...yeah it makes sense.

Let me enlighten you.

Phillip Rivers was drafted #4 in 2004

He was TRADED to San Diego for Eli Manning, the #1 pick.

Rivers' agent argued then that Rivers should be paid like a #1. San Diego gave him extra $$$.

Benson CANNOT be treated like a #1 pick. He wasn't even the #1 Running Back taken.

He is being offered #4 pick money, but he wants more money like Rivers even though the situation is different. That's greed. That's not Angelo's fault.

Now that you have a clue, calm down and use it.

I know exactly what happened last year. But the fact of the matter is, when last years #4 pick is given money like Rivers was, it sets a precedent for how much #4 picks are to make in the future.

So Ribbie, you can take youre long winded post telling me something Ive known since April 25th 2004 and shove it up your you-know-what.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

Peanut,

So per your logic since Lebron James got $100mil from Nike every other #1 pick in the NBA should get the same contract?

Or is each player an individual, in which individual circumstances dictate the contract negotiations.

Rivers contract is entirely different than Benson.

When Benson re-enters the draft next year, he will not get Rivers money, he will not even get Cedric Benson money.

Depending your entire future on a market that no longer exists is foolish. It would be like me going down to the local Mobile and saying:

"In 2000 you sold me gas for $1.25, I would like that same deal."

Times change, markets change.

He gets paid on a 2005 scale, to suggest that he should get paid on a 2004 scale is unheard of in contract negotiations.

People should try this with their employer:

"Employee A at another company gets paid X, since I was hired a year after employee A I deserve X + %"

They will laugh and say "Who the f*** cares what employee A gets, here is your offer, take it or leave it."

SB

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
I know exactly what happened last year.  But the fact of the matter is, when last years #4 pick is given money like Rivers was, it sets a precedent for how much #4 picks are to make in the future.

As you can see, the Bears are making damn sure that Phillip Rivers did NOT set a precedent. I want Benson in camp as much as you, but for once this isnt Jerry Angelos fault. You know it, I know it, We all know it. Even Benson knows it, but right now he is Ben$on, and all about the Benjamins.

Peanut,

So per your logic since Lebron James got $100mil from Nike every other #1 pick in the NBA should get the same contract?

Or is each player an individual, in which individual circumstances dictate the contract negotiations.

Rivers contract is entirely different than Benson.

When Benson re-enters the draft next year, he will not get Rivers money, he will not even get Cedric Benson money.

Depending your entire future on a market that no longer exists is foolish. It would be like me going down to the local Mobile and saying:

"In 2000 you sold me gas for $1.25, I would like that same deal."

Times change, markets change.

He gets paid on a 2005 scale, to suggest that he should get paid on a 2004 scale is unheard of in contract negotiations.

People should try this with their employer:

"Employee A at another company gets paid X, since I was hired a year after employee A I deserve X + %"

They will laugh and say "Who the f*** cares what employee A gets, here is your offer, take it or leave it."

SB

How much money was Dewayne Robertson's contract worth?

7 yr/$54 Mill. with $13 Mil. gaurunteed.

Philip Rivers?

6 yr/$40.5 Mil. with $14.5 Mi. gaurunteed.

To say after watching how contracts have been skyrocketing in the past 2 years that the #4 overall pick's value gaining $1.5 Million over 2 years is totally out of the question is beyond me.

Benson wants 14.5 Mil. gaurunteed. Robertson got 13 Mil. gaurunteed. Thats a difference of 1.5 Million dollars.

Carson Palmer got a 15 Million gaurunteed.

Eli Manning got 20 MILLION GAURUNTEED. THATS A JUMP OF 5 MILLION IN ONE YEAR.

To only have a jump of 1.5 over 2 years is a TOTAL bargain in the modern NFL World. Angelo doesnt see that.

NOTE: I misspelled guarunteed every time. Oops.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

And for what its worth here is Rivers contract:

Rivers will sign a six-year contract and ESPN.com has confirmed that the base value is $41 million. The deal includes roughly $18 million-$19 million in guaranteed money ($14.275 million signing bonus plus other guarantees) and an additional $11 million in incentives.

Hence why Benson wants $18mil.

SB

So speculation on your part.

I have heard:

Benson wants around $18mil.

The Bears have offered 16.5mil

SB

Even so. Thats a 5 Million dollar jump over 2 years. The whole Rivers trade really f***ed us here because the Bears have no real way to determine Benson's worth (Too much has changed since 2003 to refer to Robertson's contract).

Its basically what Benson thinks the #4 is worth v. what Angelo thinks the #4 is worth. Welcome to negotiating.

Thats why this is taking is so long.

This is now wierd, some sites say Rivers got only $14mil.

Regardless I think $16.5 mil is fair. If that is the Bears offer then they have to walk away if he will not accept.

You are right $2mil, $5mil, $10mil are really nothing to an NFL franchise if the player is going to change the shape of the team.

But, if the Bears back down, every agent will hold out from now until the Bears are gone. They will see that the Bears are a team willing to flinch and we will have this scenario every year.

Some times you just have to put your foot down.

SB

Didn't read through the whole topic, so I'm not sure if this was touched on yet, but I remember Benson going into the draft spewing a bunch of garbage about how he doesn't wanna be compared to Ricky. Now, looks like hes being just as much as a jag... all I can say is what a POS. Every week I care less and less about the bears party doue to this type of bs... thank God for college.

My biggest fear for 2005 is that we waste the pick.

My biggest fear for the success of the Bears franchise in general is that we give in for the sake of getting something, and he turns into Enis or Salaam Jr, and not only did we waste a pick, we had to pay to watch him suck.

SB

My biggest fear for 2005 is that we waste the pick.

My biggest fear for the success of the Bears franchise in general is that we give in for the sake of getting something, and he turns into Enis or Salaam Jr, and not only did we waste a pick, we had to pay to watch him suck.

SB

I wont be paying s***. I dont go to Bears games.

When was the last time the Bears paid a top 5 pick? Didn't they trade down from the 4 spot to the Jets to get Haynes and Rex a couple of years back too?

It's all good in saying the Bears pay for players, but those guys are established, Benson is a rookie and has proven nothing yet.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
When was the last time the Bears paid a top 5 pick? Didn't they trade down from the 4 spot to the Jets to get Haynes and Rex a couple of years back too?

It's all good in saying the Bears pay for players, but those guys are established, Benson is a rookie and has proven nothing yet.

So it's wrong of them to pay proven vets and not inexperienced rooks?

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
So it's wrong of them to pay proven vets and not inexperienced rooks?

I'm just saying, the Bears may not think Benson is worth what he thinks he is, even though he was a top 5 pick. He'll may them regret it, if they don't sign him though.

And it's only so good to keep signing vets and not gettin good young talent. That will catch up with you eventually.

I cant see how people are siding with Benson. He is getting inbetween 3rd and 5th round money so he basicly has nothing to complain about. I wasnt exactly happy with the pick in the 1st place and I think we will be fine w/out him if it comes down to that. Would i live him to sign hell yeah i would but if he is going to be a greedy asshole b4 he has even played 1 day in the NFL screw him.

He will sign sooner or later though because his agent knows next year Benson will fall in the draft and if the Bears didnt take him there was some talk about him falling pretty far in this draft. Basicly next year he is mid to late 1st round pick at best which will pay him significantly less money.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
Angelo should of never drafted Benson.

But they would not be the Bears unless they made decisions that hurt the team.

Also, its just as easy for Benson to say yes.

SB

I'm against the Benson pick, but the pick didn't hurt the team. it just didn't help is all. there's bigger problems, that being the offensive line and receivers.