Benson Only

What hurt the team is that Cadillac Williams and Benson were pretty much a toss up.

One guy made it a priority to get into camp even if he lost out on a million or so.

The other guy has not even said that he wants to play.

Not knowing who you are drafting hurts the team.

SB

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 03:11 AM)
I don't think that they've ever drafted in the top 5 til now.

Huh? Just off the top of my head, I know Hampton was 4. And looking it up, Payton was 4 (I knew he was high, just didn't know where exactly). And certainly they've had more than that. Do you mean recently?

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
he wants a contract identical to the #4 pick last year?  He's the #4 pick this year.  That makes sense to me. . . .

The Bears NEVER cough up the dough for anything, what else was Jerry The Moron gonna spend this money on?

Im so sick of this.  I hate being a Bears fan, they are idiots.

Quarterbacks make more money than running backs. If you hate being a bears fan, please do us all a favor and stop being one.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
The chances of us winning without Benson are 0.00.

With Benson we stand a chance, I dont how much moeny it costs... If we cant win this year (or at least show improvemnet) we'll have to start rebuilding again, and probably means the eventual departure of Briggs and Tillman.

With a solid line, any running back can be successful. It's the most overrated position in the NFL. Look at the Broncos, you can put pee-wee herman behind their line and he'll rush for 100+ a game. Even if Benson signs, he isn't going to be that much better than Jones this year, especially since his ass hasn't been at camp, get a grip.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
Huh?  Just off the top of my head, I know Hampton was 4.  And looking it up, Payton was 4 (I knew he was high, just didn't know where exactly).  And certainly they've had more than that.  Do you mean recently?

Yeah, I forgot Payton.

But, Hampton was a Patriot, wasn't he?

EDIT: It was McMichael I was thinking of.

Yeah, Hampton was a top 5 as well.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 03:17 AM)
Huh?  Just off the top of my head, I know Hampton was 4.  And looking it up, Payton was 4 (I knew he was high, just didn't know where exactly).  And certainly they've had more than that.  Do you mean recently?

There is no question that he was talking about recent Bears history, and you can't blame a guy for having Curtis Enis waaaay the f*** out of mind.

Since 1965:

1965: Both Butkus and Sayers were Top 5 picks (3 and 4 respectively).

1972: Lionel Antoine

1974: Waymond Bryant

1975: Walter Payton

1979: Dan Hampton

1982: Jim McMahon

1998: Curtis Enis

2005: Cedric Benson

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
Here's what you Bears fans have to hope for if you're smart...

Benson holds the majority of the year.  The Bears offense tanks it even more than last year.  The Bears wind up with either the #1 pick, or the #2 pick behind a team like S.F. that already has a quarterback.

Benson signs late in the year when the Bears are 0-12 and finally pay him the money.  Bears get high draft pick because of his holdout, and wind up with a new and improved backfield to start the year next year.

It's not out of the question.

NEXT YEAR?We can't wait that long.

Boy,all Benson is doing so far is his best T.O. impression,AND IT SUCKS!

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
No rookie has proven ANYTHING yet.

But is that reason not to pay them?  No.  It's the way things work, you have to pay for your rookie.  Our General Idiot just doesnt understand that.

You are asking our general manager to set a precedent. That precedent is : Holdout on the Bears, and eventually they will give in.

Duke, do you even understand how bad it would be even 10 years down the line if the Bears bend on this issue? This will be the status quo for all future high draft picks. You will be b****ing endlessly(and nonsensically now ;) ) every year, for who knows how long?

Angelo is a dick, and has made some awful decisions. But for once, this is a decision I completely agree with.

Garza more than solid?!!?!?!?!

A 295 Lb. Guard with no ACL isnt more than Solid.

Fred Miller is solid.  No more, No Less.

Our OLine got a little bit better, Our WR corps when from Dead-Last to Tied-for-Last.  Still no QB, and now he have no Power Runner.

Were back to where we were last year.

Don't forget Ron Turner

Db-man-cane-user-lo.jpg

On his way to the game with Game plan in hand.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
Oh come on...you're in the same city as the Cubs and Sox...no team in America has turned "Waiting till next year" into an art like Chicago.

Ooops!The Sox can cure the losing blues.

But DAMMIT!I HATE LOSING TO THE f***ING PACKERS!!!!!!!!

Benson isn't biting on the final offer. He essentialy has ruined the start of his NFL career. He can't go back to college. He'll reenter the draft next year, get picked a lot lower and won't get anywhere near the amount of money he was offered this year. Terrible decision on his part. Personally, I could care less if he's on the Bears. f*** em.

Edited by WSFAN35

Armed with an ultimatum—take it or leave it within 48 hours—agent Eugene Parker left a Halas Hall negotiating session Aug. 13 to see what client Cedric Benson thought of the Bears' latest and final contract offer.

The proposed deal was believed to include at least $17 million guaranteed, but two sources familiar with the process say the first-round draft pick told Parker he was expecting more.

Parker reminded Benson that the Bears' offer represented a lot of money. Benson, also being advised by a small but influential circle of friends and family in Austin, Texas, did not budge.

Benson and his circle can jerk :finger

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
This hurts the Bears as much as Benson.

Give the man his extra million and get him in camp.

Make him earn it on the practice field.

If the Bears cave in, they're showing everyone that they're weak at the bargaining table. Benson hasn't played a down in the NFL, who knows if he's going to be another Curtis Enis? This in no way hurts the bears as much as it hurts Benson: If the Bears' line sucks this year, it's not going to matter who's running behind them, Jones, Benson, Peterson and if they're great, then it won't matter who's running either. Benson's a chump. This whole situation has showed me that his maturity level is not where it should be to keep a cohesive team.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
If the Bears cave in, they're showing everyone that they're weak at the bargaining table.  Benson hasn't played a down in the NFL, who knows if he's going to be another Curtis Enis?  This in no way hurts the bears as much as it hurts Benson: If the Bears' line sucks this year, it's not going to matter who's running behind them, Jones, Benson, Peterson and if they're great, then it won't matter who's running either.  Benson's a chump.  This whole situation has showed me that his maturity level is not where it should be to keep a cohesive team.

They've wasted money on worse.

Just sign him.