**Official Game Thread: 8/17/05!**

Brian

Is Ozzie retarded? Why is Buerhle still in? There is absolutley no need to have him still in here when he's already over 100 pitches and the game is not in doubt. One, he hasnt been overly effective, and two, theres no need for the extra innings. He throws enough as is and its just pointless to push him here.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
Yes Rickey's name was thrown in there for dramatic effect to show how desperate we are.

Dont worry Ozzie will probably think the reason that we didnt hit well tonight is we didnt get enough TIMO.

When Timo was our DH last week and we were barely getting hits against the mighty yankees mash unit pitching staff, that was a warning sign.

And people wonder why ESPN and other media outlets dont believe in this team. When they look at the boxscore and see 217BA DH TIMO PEREZ NUMBER 7.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
Mark is 2-0 against Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit, and Seattle.

Mark is 1-0 against Texas, Toronto and the Dodgers.

Mark is 2-1 against KC.

Mark is 0-1 against Boston, soon to be 0-2 against Minnesota, and 0-2 against Oakland.

Mark is 0-0 but with 3 very good starts against San Diego and The LA Angels.  He has an ERA of 0 against SD and 2.08 in 2 starts against LA.

Since July 1

IP   H   R   K   BB   RA/9

Mark Buehrle 59.0 73 39 30 14 5.95

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:02 AM)
How many relievers do we have who didn't pitch last night?

We could easily fill out those two innings. If we needed a fresh arm, we should have sent down Adkins for another reliever (and yes, maybe the great Baj could have been called up). There was not a single f***ing thing to be gained by putting Buehrle back on the mound for this inning.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
Not sure if you were there, but do you remember when I said that we shouldn't be too pissed if this team fails to go far if they make the playoffs?  There's absolutely no reason to think that this was THE YEAR for the White Sox.  It's not like we've geared up our whole franchise for this one season.  It's not like we have more talent than every other team in baseball.  Our pitching has overachieved so much this season, and our offense has underachieved.  However, since all you have to do is score 1 or 2 runs when your pitching dominates, we were able to feast on s***ty teams in the first half of the year.

Yeah I vaguely remember that, but I was in the bliss of eight game winning streaks and not thinking rationally. You know what they say: when things are going good you are not as good as you think and when they are going bad they are not as bad as you think. I thought we were 110 win team then. I think we are an 80 win team now. I guess we are really somewhere in between - which is also what I would conclude reading your reply.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:02 PM)
Is Ozzie retarded? Why is Buerhle still in? There is absolutley no need to have him still in here when he's already over 100 pitches and the game is not in doubt. One, he hasnt been overly effective, and two, theres no need for the extra innings. He throws enough as is and its just pointless to push him here.

The same reason that Ozzie let Garcia pitch the 9th inning, after being down a few runs, and throwing 110 pitches, and having an hour rain delay.

He goes with his gut.

PLEASE SOMEONE PUNCH HIM IN THE GUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
usually mark pitches well against minny too. hard to say he hasnt beaten anybody this year with those recrods. oakland is the only team who he never gets

Mark has been just off basically since that game in Cleveland after the AS break. He was by far the best pitcher in the league in June. He's just in a rut right now...frighteningly so is the rest of our team.

Well...now we need big Jon to be our stopper, and we really, REALLY need him to do a good job of it.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)

no kidding..i mean if you cancel BP because the team is tired...why push a starter?? we are a couple of injuries away from disaster as it is...

Now for Mariotti, he didn't even know what he was talking about trading for KGJ for Anderson AND McCarthy.  Ask yourself this question, would Anderson AND McCarthy be able to go through the AL waiver line without being snatched up to reach the Reds?  Please don't tell me, "Yes."  I know you know better than that goof Mariotti would ever know...

8/05/04 COL Walker traded to STL for Jason Busch & 2 PTBNL

8/11/04 STL Martinez & Navescon traded to COL to complete the 8/05/04 trade.

Martinez & Navescon were quickly optioned to ml teams.

Do you think these 2 players had to clear ML waivers? Martinez was claimed off waivers from MIL before the season started.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
Is there no one we can get to fill in as a leadoff hitter?  Is Rickey Henderson still playing in one of those indie leagues?

He plays for the San Diego Surf Dawgs:

http://www.goldenbaseball.com/SanDiego/Roster.aspx?SecID=397

Here is his stats page:

http://www.goldenbaseball.com/SanDiego/Pla...D=280&SecID=397

16 SB, only 2 CS, OBP .460.

To blame this all on Greg Walker is shortsighted and flat out wrong. He's not the guy up there hitting, nor does he preach to constantly pull the ball.

If you've ever played the game, a lot of pop ups result when you're trying to go the other way.

This falls on the hitters missing pitches to hit and guessing wrong. Personally I think as a group, our hitters aren't that smart. We do not have a group of deep thinking disciplined hitters.

Now, if Walker is not preparing them in the clubhouse, he can be blamed for that. However the last I checked no one on this board is in the clubhouse or has had a conversation with Greg Walker about his teaching philosophy or hitting philosophy.

Nor does anyone on this board know how much time he spends preparing the hitters and going over film.

However, this board is very good at creating scapegoats and putting the devils horns on one guy.

My suggestion has always been they need more pesky hitters, guys with a good eye at the plate who can work counts. Clearly, the White Sox do not have enough guys like that. Nor are they developing enough, it seems.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
no kidding..i mean if you cancel BP because the team is tired...why push a starter??  we are a couple of injuries away from disaster as it is...

Because it's going to be a lot easier to get 1 or 2 extra outs from a starter than it is going to be to get those outs from a bullpen that was blown out last night.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:02 PM)
I've made the comment before, 14 out of the last 15 World series winners are good hitting teams.

thats true, but in order to win the world series its quite simply really. you have to be a great team. that means great pitching, great hitting. those great hitting teams had some great damn pitchrers that helped carry them. we are not a great hitting team, we arent even a good hitting team. in order for us to win in teh playoffs we are gonna be facing colons/zitos/hardens/clements etc. not to mention we are gonna be seeing the best of the best outa the pen (ducschererer, shields for 2 innings, krod for 1+, timlin for 1+) so our pitching is essentialy gonna have to flat dominate, and we are gonna have to get some lucky blasts, and clutch hits in order to win in october

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
Mark is 2-0 against Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit, and Seattle.

Mark is 1-0 against Texas, Toronto and the Dodgers.

Mark is 2-1 against KC.

Mark is 0-1 against Boston, soon to be 0-2 against Minnesota, and 0-2 against Oakland.

Mark is 0-0 but with 3 very good starts against San Diego and The LA Angels.  He has an ERA of 0 against SD and 2.08 in 2 starts against LA.

So he is 0-5 vs good teams, and 13-1 vs Average or Below Average teams. That doesn't look that good for our Ace.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
To blame this all on Greg Walker is shortsighted and flat out wrong.  He's not the guy up there hitting, nor does he preach to constantly pull the ball.

If you've ever played the game, a lot of pop ups result when you're trying to go the other way.

This falls on the hitters missing pitches to hit and guessing wrong.  Personally I think as a group, our hitters aren't that smart.  We do not have a group of deep thinking disciplined hitters.

Now, if Walker is not preparing them in the clubhouse, he can be blamed for that.  However the last I checked no one on this board is in the clubhouse or has had a conversation with Greg Walker about his teaching philosophy or hitting philosophy.

Nor does anyone on this board know how much time he spends preparing the hitters and going over film.

However, this board is very good at creating scapegoats and putting the devils horns on one guy.

My suggestion has always been they need more pesky hitters, guys with a good eye at the plate who can work counts.  Clearly, the White Sox do not have enough guys like that.  Nor are they developing enough, it seems.

Sure Jim they are all popping up because they are all trying to go the other way. Just like last August.

The not smart part I think I can agree on, but they are pulling the ball and trying to get lift and extend. This is exactly what they did last year at this time. They started to press and it became the popup brigade.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
thats true, but in order to win the world series its quite simply really. you have to be a great team. that means great pitching, great hitting. those great hitting teams had some great damn pitchrers that helped carry them. we are not a great hitting team, we arent even a good hitting team. in order for us to win in teh playoffs we are gonna be facing colons/zitos/hardens/clements etc. not to mention we are gonna be seeing the best of the best outa the pen (ducschererer, shields for 2 innings, krod for 1+, timlin for 1+) so our pitching is essentialy gonna have to flat dominate, and we are gonna have to get some lucky blasts, and clutch hits in order to win in october

Dang, its a b**** trying to build a chamipionship team isn't it?