**Official Game Thread: 8/17/05!**

Brian

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:08 PM)
So he is 0-5 vs good teams, and 13-1 vs Average or Below Average teams.  That doesn't look that good for our Ace.

Some of that is biased because he received 2 no decisions in great performances against the Angels.

And interestingly...you're calling the Twins a good team while calling both Baltimore and Cleveland Average teams. Since last time I checked, Cleveland was ahead of Minnesota...I do have to question your methods.

Sure Jim they are all popping up because they are all trying to go the other way.  Just like last August. 

The not smart part I think I can agree on, but they are pulling the ball and trying to get lift and extend.  This is exactly what they did last year at this time.  They started to press and it became the popup brigade.

Please read what I said.

I did not say they are all popping up because they are all trying to go the other way.

I did say a lot of pop ups result from trying to go the other way.

I realize you are a fan of blanket blame theories, but please try to quote me in context.

Have you seen how many balls Uribe is hitting foul to RF lately, he is clearly trying to shoot it the other way. So does Crede. The problem with those two is, not enough hitting smarts and not enough hitting talent.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
perhaps so but we just saw mb stats since july 1st. isn't a bit much to push him at this point?

Are we saying that his problem is due to him being tired/worn out? Personally I don't see that from him...it's not like this is something he hasn't done the last few years in terms of innings or pitches thrown. In fact, over the last 3 years before this one his worst month was June...this year it was his best month.

He's just not getting pitches in the right spot. I don't know how to explain it.

JimH....I very much agree with your main point. All year, I've said our lineup has way too many easy outs. We just don't make the pitcher work. I've never seen a team worse at fighting off good pitches (foul), and then try to work the count for a good pitch to hit. Recently, Pods had turned into D. Jimenez Jr. in that fashion. When B. Abernathy looks like he has a better approach than any Sox hitter, you suck!

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
Last year when we died in August we had a 7 game losing streak.  We were tied for first and after that little crapper we were down big time. 

After this loss we will be at 5 games.  This is our annual August f*** up.

Funny how it usually comes at the hands of the Twins.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
Please read what I said.

I did not say they are all popping up because they are all trying to go the other way.

I did say a lot of pop ups result from trying to go the other way.

I realize you are a fan of blanket blame theories, but please try to quote me in context.

Have you seen how many balls Uribe is hitting foul to RF lately, he is clearly trying to shoot it the other way.  So does Crede.  The problem with those two is, not enough hitting smarts and not enough hitting talent.

Crede steps in the bucket everytime in his stance and tosses the bat at the outside pitch. That is a big difference from letting the ball get back on you a bit more and hitting it to right with authority.

Uribe is trying to hit.

But year after year of the same thing happening in August and these are not the same players. What do you think the theory is of why we suck after August 1.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)
Are we saying that his problem is due to him being tired/worn out?  Personally I don't see that from him...it's not like this is something he hasn't done the last few years in terms of innings or pitches thrown.  In fact, over the last 3 years before this one his worst month was June...this year it was his best month.

He's just not getting pitches in the right spot.  I don't know how to explain it.

10 less pitches in a game here or there certainly can't hurt.

Take away that lame ass balk call and MB kept us in this game. Take away Hermie's blown save and we're playing for a series win, not looking at getting swept.

Had minny come in and dominated and knocked the Sox around, I'd be reaching for the Prozac. But the Sox are playing AWFUL and somehow, someway, they still don't suck so bad.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
10 less pitches in a game here or there certainly can't hurt.

Not if you believe Mark himself...the guy usually tells reporters that he feels better when he doesn't get extra rest...stays on the every 5 days, full game schedule.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
Take away that lame ass balk call and MB kept us in this game. Take away Hermie's blown save and we're playing for a series win, not looking at getting swept.

Had minny come in and dominated and knocked the Sox around, I'd be reaching for the Prozac. But the Sox are playing AWFUL and somehow, someway, they still don't suck so bad.

Take away some rain from Boston and this is a 3 game losing streak instead of a 5 game one.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:14 AM)

Buehrle knew our offense has been slumping, and we were facing Cy Santana. I think he let the team down tonight, especially against this awful lineup.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)

a team that doesn't score in 17 innings, win or lose, worries me.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
Not if you believe Mark himself...the guy usually tells reporters that he feels better when he doesn't get extra rest...stays on the every 5 days, full game schedule.

Which pitcher doesn't say that?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
Take away some rain from Boston and this is a 3 game losing streak instead of a 5 game one.

But you are going on the idea that we would hold them down.

We had a bigger lead in game one and blew it later.

This could be a 6 game losing streak.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
Can we get a show of hands who posted in that skeptics corner thread and said we were more concerned after the Yanks series than we were before it?

I became concerned when Pods hit the DL. Supposedly speed never goes into a slump...but when we lost the speed, we suddenly hit a slump.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
I think we won what 12 gms in Aug last year? You have to admit we bounced back in Sept.  Let's hope the same karma comes around again.

Personally Juggs, I just hope we bounce back in October.