**Official Game Thread: 8/17/05!**

Brian

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
Take away some rain from Boston and this is a 3 game losing streak instead of a 5 game one.

Hopefully it would have been, but I have absolutely no confidence that we would shut down that Red Sox team in any game at Fenway.

Optimism in the face of doom. Seeing Santana was pitching and the Sox offense sucking so bad I thought I would try the power of positive thinking at the start of this game, but then I figured what the heck is it going to matter?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
Hopefully it would have been, but I have absolutely no confidence that we would shut down that Red Sox team in any game at Fenway.

White Sox hitters also have a career .367 batting average against Matt Clement. There's no reason to think that he was going to slow us down either.

Wow, Tadahito gets another single for us. Amazing. Jaw dropping.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:20 PM)
Optimism in the face of doom. Seeing Santana was pitching and the Sox offense sucking so bad I thought I would try the power of positive thinking at the start of this game, but then I figured what the heck is it going to matter?

Well, that's one way to increase your post total.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:17 AM)
I became concerned when Pods hit the DL.  Supposedly speed never goes into a slump...but when we lost the speed, we suddenly hit a slump.

One of the reasons our offense has sucked for the majority of the season is we have no speed besides Pods. Nearly half of our lineup is made up of some of the slowest guys in baseball (PK, AJP, Crede, and Thomas).

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
Adios, muchachos! Enjoy the day, lick the wounds, kick the dog, and get ready to feast off some terrible Yankee pitching.

:bringit

Like Aaron Small?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)
White Sox hitters also have a career .367 batting average against Matt Clement.  There's no reason to think that he was going to slow us down either.

Wow, Tadahito gets another single for us.  Amazing.  Jaw dropping.

Clement was a batter away from getting taken out of that game. Trust me, I'm not saying we would have lost. However, I think it's assuming an awful lot to say we would have won that game no matter what.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:20 AM)
Well, that's one way to increase your post total.

I've never intentionally done anything to increase my posts. I don't think we get a prize or anything do we? My clicker stuck is all. :bang

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
:lol:

Adkins pitching.

Well...this is why we brought him up.

Ok...everyone...guesses...will his ERA go up or down. It's currently 17.18...below 18. So if he gives up 2 runs, his ERA goes up.

Crede steps in the bucket everytime in his stance and tosses the bat at the outside pitch.  That is a big difference from letting the ball get back on you a bit more and hitting it to right with authority.

Uribe is trying to hit.

But year after year of the same thing happening in August and these are not the same players.  What do you think the theory is of why we suck after August 1.

Crede steps in the bucket because his stance is f***ed up. His swing is extremely high maintenance. This means the White Sox need to get a better player, if his offensive game can't be "hidden" by the rest of the lineup. Plus Crede's mental game is one of self doubt at the plate. I contend most of it with him is mental, and this is what, the 4th or 5th hitting coach he's been around? In Crede's case, it ain't Walker ... it's clearly Crede.

Uribe ... plain and simple, an immature hitter. He has more talent than Crede but he's not smart or patient, nor can he work counts very well.

That little problem accounts for two guys in a row, and it's not good. They have forgiven their offensive foibles this year due to pretty good defense.

The reason they go into an August swoon? To me, fairly simple. Let me rephrase that, an August offensive swoon. First of all, they are one hell of a lot more tired now than in April ... Second, 1 thru 9 they don't make the pitchers work enough, at least not for my taste, and as a result the opposition pitching stays stronger longer because they aren't gassed after 3-4 innings.

The combination of being more fatigued (not an excuse, reality though) and their extremely inconsistent ability to wear out the other pitchers leads to an August swoon.

If there is good new here, it's that they didn't also have an April swoon or a May swoon.

Even though Frank Thomas wasn't doing great, he made the pitchers work more than most of the hitters. He walked a lot, it all adds up.

Solution? Get smarter hitters. Williams added a couple of those, we need more. They need to draft more pure hitters, they aren't doing that and it bites them in the ass.

A little late for this, but I was thinking about that Stewart game-winning hit last night: Why the f*** wasn't Crede guarding the line?

First, every pitch Adkins was throwing was an inside fastball. Stewart is a batter who hits a lot of balls down the line.

Second, with Anderson having a good arm in LF, even if you protect the line, you're giving yourself a shot at throwing out the runner at home on a single. However, if the ball goes down the line, you have no shot.

Just seems like pretty simple baseball strategy to me.

Ok...I was one of the guys who was most adamant about not dumping any of our big name prospects at the trading deadline (especially for a pitcher)...so now when I say this, it's a flip-flop, and I really mean it.

We need another bat. We absolutely need another bat. I don't care if it's a power bat or a guy who hits for average with speed, but we need another bat.