**Official Game Thread: 8/17/05!**

Brian

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
Oh great, we get to face Jaret Wright over the weekend...Along with Mussina on Friday.  How much you want to bet that those guys see their ERA's go down after facing us?

Wright owned us last year in that one game when he was with the Braves. Expect more of the same.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
A little late for this, but I was thinking about that Stewart game-winning hit last night:  Why the f*** wasn't Crede guarding the line?

First, every pitch Adkins was throwing was an inside fastball.  Stewart is a batter who hits a lot of balls down the line.

Second, with Anderson having a good arm in LF, even if you protect the line, you're giving yourself a shot at throwing out the runner at home on a single.  However, if the ball goes down the line, you have no shot.

Just seems like pretty simple baseball strategy to me.

you forgot one thing and that is when you are in a slump for sure stewart would have hit the ball right in the normal shortstop hole. nice news is that we are slumping together. this shouldn't last much longer.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
Ok...I was one of the guys who was most adamant about not dumping any of our big name prospects at the trading deadline (especially for a pitcher)...so now when I say this, it's a flip-flop, and I really mean it.

We need another bat.  We absolutely need another bat.  I don't care if it's a power bat or a guy who hits for average with speed, but we need another bat.

I agree, but I'm now convinced it won't happen. Ozzie is too stubborn to not play our 4 main outfielders/DH when Pods gets back. Not only that, but Timo is our back-up outfielder.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
THERE GOES THE SHUTOUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man are we pathetic.  Clapping our hands because we finally scored a run.

Well, the good news is that we've still only been shutout what, 1 time all year?

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
THERE GOES THE SHUTOUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man are we pathetic.  Clapping our hands because we finally scored a run.

WOO HOO, 5 more to win!

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
I agree, but I'm now convinced it won't happen.  Ozzie is too stubborn to not play our 4 main outfielders/DH when Pods gets back.  Not only that, but Timo is our back-up outfielder.

I'm not so sure...when Thomas came back, Timo's playing time went almost completely to zero...he started like 1 game while we had Frank because he was putting both Frank and Everett in 2 out of every 3 games.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
I'm not so sure...when Thomas came back, Timo's playing time went almost completely to zero...he started like 1 game while we had Frank because he was putting both Frank and Everett in 2 out of every 3 games.

And that's why we need a Griffey.

Jumping in here late, but I think the scouting of this team has finally caught up with it.

"Flying under the radar" works when you don't have the best record in baseball. This team since right before the ASB has been scouted, rescouted, and I bet that the scouts can pretty much tell you when our batters are scheduled to take a s***. They know every tendency, every everything.

GOOD TEAMS adjust. Let's see how long it takes. If they don't, it tells you something.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
And that's why we need a Griffey.

Like I said 3 or 4 posts ago...we need a bat. I don't care if it's Griffey or just someone who gets a lot of singles, but we need another piece in this lineup.