**Official Game Thread: 8/17/05!**

Brian

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
Dye is 5 for his last 40 ABs with only 1 HR, 2 RBI, and 10 K's!

Magglio has more hits and RBI in his last 3 games - OUCH!

I don't really want to bring this up, but I gotta ask, where do you think we'd be with Magglio on our team?

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
I don't really want to bring this up, but I gotta ask, where do you think we'd be with Magglio on our team?

A lot worse...since a.) he'd have missed half the season, and b.) our entire budget would have been spent on him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
Jerry Reinsdorf has said to KW that the purse strings were open this year.  He's said that he'd value a White Sox championship more than all those titles with the Bulls.

I'd like to think he means it.  We need that bat.

You know 1 thing that probably really is hurting us as well?  The simple intimidation factor.  There's just no one in our lineup that is really really frightening when you look at it on paper.  Konerko's close, dye is when he's on fire, but other than that...who's there that you don't want to face?

JR said that last year. He said it the year before. and before.

KW AT SOXFEST SAID WE WERE SAVING MONEY SO WE COULD MAKE THE BIG MOVE IN JUNE AND JULY. I remember after Hawk did his usually blow job of the crowd, this is the best team I have been around, this is the best soxfest ever, that the money in the kitty was a surefire way of us making the big move in June/July.

GEOFF BLUMM THE BIG MOVE.

MOVE OVER KGJ, WE HAVE GB

QUOTE(brijames @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:45 AM)
You do realise that the Sox could easily lose their next 6, 3 vs Yanks and 3 at twinks.

By next Wed the Division lead could be down to 6 or 7.

That is scary.

Yet enjoyable. The fact that we could still be up 6 games if we lose 11 in a row is astonishing.

Jerry Reinsdorf has said to KW that the purse strings were open this year.  He's said that he'd value a White Sox championship more than all those titles with the Bulls.

You know 1 thing that probably really is hurting us as well?  The simple intimidation factor.  There's just no one in our lineup that is really really frightening when you look at it on paper.  Konerko's close, dye is when he's on fire, but other than that...who's there that you don't want to face?

I'd like to believe it too but I can't. Not when the rumor reported the Reds picking up $15M/3yr. I think with Lindher the $26M deferred is negotiable but the $23.5M/05-08 is not.

Translation of the Reds COO: Either give us a #1 or take on more of the contract so we can buy a #1.

Is it Ozzie's fault? Are we sleeping offensively because he failed to develop a backup for Pods? Should he have used Iguchi in lead-off on days we rested Pods? Iguchi doesn't have that kind of speed but he does know how to work a pitcher in the counts & he does have good base running instincts.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Just remember, Dye was even worse in May.

I just hope he breaks out of this, as well as the rest of the team. Sox have let up 34 runs in the last 6 games, but at least Adkins and Vizcaino didn't allow any runs tonight! Adkins ERA is now down to 13.50.

At least CLE, BOS, OAK, NYY, and KC lost as well 2nite.

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:53 AM)
Is it Ozzie's fault?  Are we sleeping offensively because he failed to develop a backup for Pods?  Should he have used Iguchi in lead-off on days we rested Pods?  Iguchi doesn't have that kind of speed but he does know how to work a pitcher in the counts & he does have good base running instincts.

I still believe we put Pods on the DL in order to get him rested, and not cause he's really hurt. Even Ozzie has said he's happy he's not on the bench now so that he's not tempted to put him in the lineup. We took the foot off of the accelerator in mid August, and it didn't take long for everyone to start to panic. This team just needs to win games. Anytime they want to have an offensive explosion would be fine with me. We're playing not to lose....and of course you know what happens then.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
I still believe we put Pods on the DL in order to get him rested, and not cause he's really hurt.  Even Ozzie has said he's happy he's not on the bench now so that he's not tempted to put him in the lineup.  We took the foot off of the accelerator in mid August, and it didn't take long for everyone to start to panic.  This team just needs to win games.  Anytime they want to have an offensive explosion would be fine with me.  We're playing not to lose....and of course you know what happens then.

I agree, playing not to lose gets you nowhere. At least we have a day off before the next 2 series (THU and MON). That should help and give our pitchers an extra day of rest.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
:headshake

What a f***ing joke.

They need to be f***ing embarrassed by their bulls*** effort.

I'm sure they are. And I'm sure they are getting their asses chewed up and spit out.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)

Wake up... we need more than 1 bat!

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)

He was our best hitter but sometimes the buisness aspect ruins a good thing. When Frank Thomas says "he's the best hitter he's seen " you know he aint bulls***ting. Maggs would help but I belive we would be in the same hole where in now... because maggs would be the only one hitting and we would still be looking to add a bat or 2. We just need to play with the cards we have and make the best of it... hopefully in the offseason we correct a few things to make our offense consitant and then work on trying to make it lethal. Right now its just plain pathetic.

Edited by Soxpranos

Do we need more than one at bat or will Griffey Jr do? I've often heard Kong say that Frank makes the whole lineup better. Wouldn't Griffey Jr have the same impact?

The rumor still had the Reds on the hook for $15M/3yr. If they could get the White Sox to pick that up they would have enough ($23.5M/3yr) to pursue a #1 or #2 starter of the Clement mold.

I don't think the White Sox will pick up that much but there's still 13 days left to hope.