Steroid Announcement Friday?

spataro51

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
Eckstein comes from a family with a history of a lot of medical problems.  I will basically guarantee he's never done steroids.  I think a lot of these rumors are coming from the same suggestion everyone is making that it's all-stars from the NL Central and AL East.  And BTW, that J. Damon comment sounds like quite the alibi already.

Eckstein is sitting there holding I believe a spare kidney that at some point in his life will be used to save the life of someone in his family...I believe it's jsut a question of who needs it first. If he took the stuff...he'd be endangering the life of not only himself, but of another member of his family. My jaw would drop if it were him.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
From where... rumor from where..?

Welcome to baseball message boards. Right now this is a rumor. We have no idea who the sources are for these people, nor do we know how credible they are. This is rumor mongering at its finest.

The last time there was one of these rumors floating around, it was floated by the Dan Patrick show among others, and turned out for nothing.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
Welcome to baseball message boards.  Right now this is a rumor.  We have no idea who the sources are for these people, nor do we know how credible they are.  This is rumor mongering at its finest.

The last time there was one of these rumors floating around, it was floated by the Dan Patrick show among others, and turned out for nothing.

At least there's discussion (links, possible media sources) about the accusations. I haven't seen anything about an announcement happening today, tomorrow, next week.. etc, etc.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
I see your point Brian.  It's precisely because players don't know what may taint test results that they should either not take anything, or do what Mark B. claims Sox players do and that is to have everything tested by the coaching staff before taking it.

The fault still falls on the player, IMO.

I agree it's the player's fault. There is no way somebody does not know what they're putting into their bodies, especially a pro athlete. MB has it right, if you have any questions, take it to the medical staff and make sure it is approved. The excuse you don't know what goes into your body is BS. I wrestled at MSU, and we would have a meeting where they discussed everything and we had to sign all kinds of stuff, and it was mandatory. You can't tell me that a pro baseball team paying players millions of dollars is clueless.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
I agree it's the player's fault. There is no way somebody does not know what they're putting into their bodies, especially a pro athlete. MB has it right, if you have any questions, take it to the medical staff and make sure it is approved. The excuse you don't know what goes into your body is BS. I wrestled at MSU, and we would have a meeting where they discussed everything and we had to sign all kinds of stuff, and it was mandatory. You can't tell me that a pro baseball team paying players millions of dollars is clueless.

Steve.. what if it's a banned substance in something innocent..? Like in a suppliment? Or power bar or drink? I agree they need to be extremely careful.. but there is the "what if"..no?

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
Steve.. what if it's a banned substance in something innocent..? Like in a suppliment? Or power bar or drink? I agree they need to be extremely careful.. but there is the "what if"..no?

If you're being paid a minimum of $500,000 a year...how hard would it be for you to ask either your agent or some nutritionist to check into a supplement before you take it just to make sure there's no risk of cross-contamination?

Laziness is not an excuse.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
If you're being paid a minimum of $500,000 a year...how hard would it be for you to ask either your agent or some nutritionist to check into a supplement before you take it just to make sure there's no risk of cross-contamination?

Like I said, I agree. I'm moreso talking about something say like ephedra. It's banned, but agents similar have come out and if it's masked, or called something else... :huh

I assume if a player tested positive for something like that he would have no issue admitting it. I wouldn't be as pissed if it was something like that versus something that had to be injected.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)

I understand the argument of not knowing they took something illegal for minor league players who don't have access to a slew of trainers, or cannot contact their agent directly to have someone review it, etc. But for major leagues earning large salaries they have the resources at their disposal to make sure they are following the rules.

Heck, if I made a million dollars I would hire someone who has no purpose but to ensure i am not putting illegal substances in my body.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)

That is why you have it tested by the medical staff. I guarentee that any MLB player can get stuff tested. We're told to have whatever we buy over the counter checked out. There is a pretty good list that they give ya. I don't buy a "what if" reason. What kind of power bar has juice like RP had in him? A player a la Clemens or Damon obviously are smarter than that (not saying they're guilty, just that's who everyone is implying and so them for example). Zero tolerance...get caught, no excuse, you failed. That is how I feel...because it is illegal in the game...but, I have no problems with steroids, but I really have a problem with lying.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
Like I said, I agree. I'm moreso talking about something say like ephedra. It's banned, but agents similar have come out and if it's masked, or called something else...  :huh

I assume if a player tested positive for something like that he would have no issue admitting it. I wouldn't be as pissed if it was something like that versus something that had to be injected.

See, I disagree with you on that one...

If it is a performance enhancing substance banned by baseball, I don't care how it is administered (orally, shots, cream), and I don't care how effective it is (THG for Bonds's explosion in size compared to Palmeiro's Winstrol that only helps some but doesn't create the explosion in body size).

If it's illegal, the baseball players shouldn't be taking it. If they are taking it, even by accident, I don't want them playing in the league until it is out of their system.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
Is ephedra performance enhancing...? I know it makes you jittery and "fast".. but enhancing like steroids.. ?

It is a "Greenie"...it's a stimulant. It is one of those things that a player would take to try to get himself "Up" for the game so that he has energy to last through it and so forth.

So yes, it enhances performance.

1 other note..in most cases people wouldn't think that it helps a player build muscle like a normal steroid...but that doesn't mean it wouldn't give an illegal advantage to a player taking it.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
It is a "Greenie"...it's a stimulant.  It is one of those things that a player would take to try to get himself "Up" for the game so that he has energy to last through it and so forth.

Gotcha. Thanks!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
It is a "Greenie"...it's a stimulant.  It is one of those things that a player would take to try to get himself "Up" for the game so that he has energy to last through it and so forth.

I hate the term "performance enhancer." A proper diet is a "performance enhancer." Lifting weights, sleeping properly, etc...I just hate the term.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
See, I disagree with you on that one...

If it is a performance enhancing substance banned by baseball, I don't care how it is administered (orally, shots, cream), and I don't care how effective it is (THG for Bonds's explosion in size compared to Palmeiro's Winstrol that only helps some but doesn't create the explosion in body size).

If it's illegal, the baseball players shouldn't be taking it.  If they are taking it, even by accident, I don't want them playing in the league until it is out of their system.

There are players still on stuff for sure, and as baseball doesn't test for everything that is banded (bloodtests and HGH etc). I just think you'd have to be a fool to get caught now.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
Is ephedra performance enhancing...? I know it makes you jittery and "fast".. but enhancing like steroids.. ?

thats a debateable argument. It's not gonna help your 'performance' persay, but it will assist you in maximizing your talent, 'psyching yourself up'. I think its more valuable in a football or hockey game than for baseball.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
I understand the argument of not knowing they took something illegal for minor league players who don't have access to a slew of trainers, or cannot contact their agent directly to have someone review it, etc. But for major leagues earning large salaries they have the resources at their disposal to make sure they are following the rules. 

Heck, if I made a million dollars I would hire someone who has no purpose but to ensure i am not putting illegal substances in my body.

......yep, or I'd hire a lab geek to create something that is performance enhancing, but not... yet... tested...for...by...MLB, HEY WAIT A MINUTE, THAT'S BALCO.