$5.00 per gallon gas

kapkomet

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
Sounds good - it's almost time for me to car-shop, and when I do that's where I'm starting.

The insight actually gets better mileage than even the Prius...but that's because the Insight is a smaller car.

Honda also makes a civic hybrid that works quite well in mileage, but Honda's hybrid systems in both the civic and the Insight aren't as advanced, IMHO, as the system in the Prius. The Prius is also larger than the Civic, although it may cost a wee bit more than either the insight or the civic.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
It means that unless he can find a way to convince the customers to eat a larger % of the surcharge... or has a hefty reserve for such costs... things are gonna be tight for a while.

And his customers will pass it on to their customers, who'll pass it on to ... us. Of course, we'll have less disposable cash because gas is so high so we'll buy less at the retail level. Which means, retailers will order less merchandise, which in turn will lead to layoffs in the retail, shipping and manufacturing sectors. Less people working, less disposable cash.

Yada, yada, yada.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
And his customers will pass it on to their customers, who'll pass it on to ... us.  Of course, we'll have less disposable cash because gas is so high so we'll buy less at the retail level.  Which means, retailers will order less merchandise, which in turn will lead to layoffs in the retail, shipping and manufacturing sectors.  Less people working, less disposable cash.

Yada, yada, yada.

As the owner of a private trucking company I don't think his customers would be the type to be passing anything onto consumers.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
Honey, s*** always rolls down hill.

Not always it doesn't.

We charge our agents, they charge their drivers, and they charge the customer (the person moving). For us it ends there.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
Not always it doesn't.

We charge our agents, they charge their drivers, and they charge the customer (the person moving). For us it ends there.

It sounds to me like you are describing exactly how s*** rolls downhill. The "person moving" being the final consumer.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
It sounds to me like you are describing exactly how s*** rolls downhill.  The "person moving" being the final consumer.

Uhhh.. yea.

He, as a private owner, would be delivering directly to the final customer. Which is why I said...

"As the owner of a private trucking company I don't think his customers would be the type to be passing anything onto consumers."

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
Uhhh.. yea.

He, as a private owner, would be delivering directly to the final customer. Which is why I said...

"As the owner of a private trucking company I don't think his customers would be the type to be passing anything onto consumers."

You and your damn semantics. We all need to have a Steff Semantics class so we can make our time more enjoyable at soxtalk. :lolhitting

P.S. I got what you said the first time, but if you read it quick, you won't.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
You and your damn semantics. We all need to have a Steff Semantics class so we can make our time more enjoyable at soxtalk. :lolhitting

P.S. I got what you said the first time, but if you read it quick, you won't.

I thought I might not have typed it clear enough.. but I have to remember YAS is an old fart and I have to 'splain things slowly to him.. :P

:running and hiding in a really, really, good place... :ph34r:

QUOTE(joemg311 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 05:01 AM)
I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and just swaped it for a Honda Civic. I get twice the gas mileage. I'm guessing Alot of people will be making a smilar switch eventually, or at least getting a 4 cylinder suv if they need the space.

Thats what i have, a gass guzzling V8 with 11 MPG. I love every inch of the engine, you will never, ever see me driving a car with a tiny 4 cylinder engine.

Energy is a big cost in my business. Starting with the 10 cylinder truck to pull the rig, two 18 hp engines buring 3-4 gallons per hour, and two diesel burners buring 1-2 gallons per hour, I notice the increases.

Any company that relies on a mobile salesforce is also struggling.

I'm not worried, because Bush will save us. :usa

Remember fellow GOPerheads. Let's Hammer the Dems in 2008 :headbang Another Texan to save the world.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
Remember you are talking to the guy who predicted $3 gas earlier this spring...

$5 gas isn't that far out of the question.  If we get one terror attack in the United States on the energy sector (a refinary would be the worst) Crude Oil at $100 a barrel would not shock me at all.

Most likely without an extraordinary happening, we won't see anything more than where we are now.  Really these prices are going to start to cripple sectors of the economy and reduce demand that way.  These price levels are pretty unsustainable long term, and if they do stay here long term, we are going to have an ugly recession.  And a recession wouldn't be a pretty thing now because so many people are so far in debt, that bankruptcies and foreclosures would go nuts. 

Like I said, personally I think we are at, or near, the highs unless we get attacked.  If that happens all bets are off.

We aren't even close to the highs. This is an unlimited resource! CHINA & INDIA are not even close to what their demand levels will be in the next 20 years. Supply vs Demand is gonna kill oil. If the US had any clue we would be pushing like a mother to develop alternative vehicles. This part really pisses me off. What are we waiting for? This stupid oil deal alone could lead do terrible wars.... I remember when they were debating on building a killer railway between LA & SD but the big 3 wouldn't let em do it, said Americans love their cars way too much...BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
Unfortunately, I don't think SS2k5 is right.  I think the price of oil is going to keep going up and up and up.

The problem is that it's not just the U.S. economy that has a growing desire for oil...China and India both have dramatically increased their oil consumption in the last few years, and because they have such low labor costs, even if oil prices keep going up, it still remains far more cost-effective for most factories to open there.  In other words, increasing oil prices may very well hurt us a lot more than it'll hurt either of them.

Right now, oil supply is bumping right up against demand for oil in this world, and there's really nothing that can be done about it.  Even with prices this high, the demand for oil in this country is still growing.  It seems almost impossible for demand for oil to drop here without prices literally doing real damage to people...$100 a barrel or more...and even if it gets that high, it may not be enough to keep up with growth in oil demand from Asia.

There just isn't enough oil left in the ground for it to be cheap.

I think the big huge difference between our economy and the Chinese economies are that our disposable incomes are incredible more than China's. I think that more than makes up for the labor costs differences, and makes them much more vulnerable to an energy shock, especially when you look at their economy being incredible energy dependant because of all of the industrial output they have, and our shift to a much more information based economy. Yes we are going to feel the pinch, but nearly as hard as the Chinese will.