Cy Young

the People's Champ

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
Santana is a closing horse, and he's started his stretch drive.  His numbers are actually relatively close to where they were last year at this time.

I just think it is really going to stick out in the voters minds that MB choked against Boston and then again in his next start when the team needed to get out of a slide he couldn't get it done again.

Not that it was completely MB's fault, cause it wasn't, he just needed a better outing than the one he had.

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
I just think it is really going to stick out in the voters minds that MB choked against Boston and then again in his next start when the team needed to get out of a slide he couldn't get it done again.

Not that it was completely MB's fault, cause it wasn't, he just needed a better outing than the one he had.

its still too early, people dont really really decide until september, besides, to be honest his biggest competetion has been rivera who has a loss and 2 blown saves in the last week, garland who got knocked around by boston......now santana appers to be a favorite, but itll still depend on who turns it up a notch in sept.

QUOTE(FOVzoso @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
no way can halladay be the front runner

hes been out since before the all-star break...i dont think they can possibly give it to him

at this point i'd say either garland or rich harden if he keeps it up

yes rich harden

Halladay has nearly 30 more IP than Rich Harden. Roy Halladay is your front runner.

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:08 AM)
The ESPeN folks are hollering for Mariano Rivera.

:rolly

That's because they use this formula:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/cy

In there, they have Rivera first, followed by Garland, Buehrle, Colon, Nathan, Halladay, and then Santana. Garcia even ends up in 10th because the Sox are in first.

Garland has the upper hand as long as he can win some games. If he can get to 22 wins and the Sox finish with the best record in the AL, then it will be hard to look at the others with their teams not even making the playoffs.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
That's because they use this formula:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/cy

In there, they have Rivera first, followed by Garland, Buehrle, Colon, Nathan, Halladay, and then Santana.  Garcia even ends up in 10th because the Sox are in first.

Garland has the upper hand as long as he can win some games.  If he can get to 22 wins and the Sox finish with the best record in the AL, then it will be hard to look at the others with their teams not even making the playoffs.

A closer with 4 BS, under 43 saves (by the end of the year) and a team that isn't even going to make the playoffs should not even be considered for the Cy Young. For a reliever to win Cy Young they have to be otherworldly and Rivera hasn't even been close.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)
Can either of you give me one reason why he should win? Other than the fact that he has a pretty good ERA and Whip.

I should've put a disclaimer on it. If the Yanks make the playoffs Rivera will be the Cy Young.

My reasoning is simple. To me the Cy Young has always been about dominance. No starting pitcher this season in the AL has displayed dominance for long periods of time. Garland has the best chance to win it because if he can get to that magic number of 20 wins he will get alot of votes. But right now, the most dominant pitcher in the AL this year has been Rivera.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
I should've put a disclaimer on it. If the Yanks make the playoffs Rivera will be the Cy Young.

My reasoning is simple. To me the Cy Young has always been about dominance. No starting pitcher this season in the AL has displayed dominance for long periods of time. Garland has the best chance to win it because if he can get to that magic number of 20 wins he will get alot of votes. But right now, the most dominant pitcher in the AL this year has been Rivera.

If Rivera finishes the year with 6 BS which is most likely what will happen seeing how he's at 4 right now and seems to be tiring, which is something he never used to do, then there is no way he should win the Cy Young. A reliever can only win the Cy if they have been absolutely un-hittable such as Gagne (55/55 in save opp). 45/51 (which River could realistically finish the year at) is not Cy Young caliber. Roy Halladay has been the most dominate starter in the AL this year, if he gets back within the week and continues this dominance for the rest of the season the Cy should go to him.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)

How has he been the most dominant. His numbers are similar to Hermys for god sake

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
How has he been the most dominant.  His numbers are similar to Hermys for god sake

But Hermanson has never been this good before so he gets absolutely no love. Oh yeah, Hermy has 2 less BS than Rivera.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
But Hermanson has never been this good before so he gets absolutely no love. Oh yeah, Hermy has 2 less BS than Rivera.

I didnt know a Cy Young was awarded on past performance, because then Santana wouldnt have won s***.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
I didnt know a Cy Young was awarded on past performance, because then Santana wouldnt have won s***.

Actually Hermanson shouldn't be a Cy Young Candidate with 26 Ks and a 1.76 ERA. Santana was the best player in baseball last year, best in the AL by far. If you come on and have an absolutely f***tacular year for the first time in your career and dominate (such as Loaiza 2 years ago) then you should be considered for a Cy Young, Halladay won his for the first time after having an amazing year and Santana last year was by far the best pitcher in the AL. That wasn't much of an arguement IMO. And I was talking about no love from the media, not from me or anything.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
How has he been the most dominant.  His numbers are similar to Hermys for god sake

Statistically, he is better than Hermanson in EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY. more appearances, innings, saves, wins, strikeouts, less walks, lower ERA, much lower WHIP and lower BAA.

But they are similar? If by similar you mean slightly worse I agree with you.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
Actually Hermanson shouldn't be a Cy Young Candidate with 26 Ks and a 1.76 ERA. Santana was the best player in baseball last year, best in the AL by far. If you come on and have an absolutely f***tacular year for the first time in your career and dominate (such as Loaiza 2 years ago) then you should be considered for a Cy Young, Halladay won his for the first time after having an amazing year and Santana last year was by far the best pitcher in the AL. That wasn't much of an arguement IMO. And I was talking about no love from the media, not from me or anything.

Agreed, just wanted to bust your east coast biased balls. BTW, check out my sig

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
Statistically, he is better than Hermanson in EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY. more appearances, innings, saves, wins, strikeouts, less walks, lower ERA, much lower WHIP and lower BAA.

But they are similar? If by similar you mean slightly worse I agree with you.

Not the blown saves category.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
Not the blown saves category.

Yes...that was already discussed.

Does the fact that I was in attendance for both of Hermy's Blown Saves change the total at all? Can they be negated by my suck factor?