Is Greg Walker's job in jeopardy?

mmmmmbeeer

Since Aug 1st, we're averaging 3.4RPG in series against BAL, TOR, SEA, NYY, BOS and MIN. MIN and BOS are the only two of those teams that you could consider having a decent starting staff. Take out the 1 game we scored 8 runs against BOS (which we of course lost) and our average drops to a weak 3.0RPG this month.

Now I really don't believe that Walk's job is in jeopardy, but should it be considering we've basically got 2 guys in our lineup hitting the ball right now? Most of these "slumps" aren't so much slumps as just flawed approaches at the plate. The Sox are striking out at an alarming pace and our BA is plummeting, meanwhile most of our scoring comes via the longball. Smartball? Obviously the hitting coach and players aren't on the same page as the manager.

Greg Walker is a nice guy I'm sure, but while the season is going on he has about a 1 to 3 percent (don't ask me where the f*** I came up with those percentages)effect on the what the hitters do at the plate at bat to at bat. It's not his fault we suck right now and its not his great job when we hit 12 home runs in a six game homestand.

The Greg Walker talk is funny to me, yes like a clown.

:unsure:

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 03:19 AM)
Please refer to my post in some other thread...hold on let me copy it over here

Sorry about that man, just read that other thread after posting this...mod can merge if they want.

That's the difficult thing, with an 11 game lead and the best record in the AL, it certainly becomes difficult to justify the firing of a coach. But at the same time, should a team be more proactive than reactive? All firings obviously are reactive to a degree, but firing Walker at this point, after a month long offensive slump, would be proactive, the kind of ballsy decision that an organization has to make. If you wing it with Walk based upon the team's record, while ignoring that that record is mostly the result of excellent D and pitching, you accept mediocrity, imo. If the org gets proactive, letting the players know that these s***ty atbats/approaches will not stand, it sends a message while there's still time to improve prior to the playoffs. When the weather gets cold in OCT and the offense continues to swing for the fences, we're going to be in a world of hurt.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
He's not getting fired. I could see if players have underperformed from career norms, but most are at or slightly above what you would expect. B

remember last year when valentin and uribe hit like .128 and .129 in august respectively and crede was at like .180.......thats exactly what this august has felt like

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
remember last year when valentin and uribe hit like .128 and .129 in august respectively and crede was at like .180.......thats exactly what this august has felt like

Thats odd, lets look at this years august stats.

Crede is batting .136 with a .174OBP. Thats pretty sexy.

Jermaine Dye before tonight was hitting .188BA with a .231OBP.

Timo even with his offensive outburst over his last few games is still batting

.192BA with a .276OBP.

Pablo Ozuna has a .143BA with a .200 OBP.

Arow is batting .240 for the month with .279OBP.

Gooch is hitting .222 for the month.

Its so odd to see large segments of our team all slump at the exact same time.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
Thats odd, lets look at this years august stats.

Crede is batting  .136 with a .174OBP.  Thats pretty sexy. 

Jermaine Dye before tonight was hitting .188BA with a .231OBP. 

Timo even with his offensive outburst over his last few games is still batting

.192BA with a .276OBP.

Pablo Ozuna has a .143BA with a .200 OBP. 

Arow is batting .240 for the month with .279OBP. 

Gooch is hitting .222 for the month.

Its so odd to see large segments of our team all slump at the exact same time.

Brings up the question: Slump or just not that good???

It's not like we've had any long stretches of hitting the cover off the ball collectively as a team. I'm just happy for our huge division lead to give us a cushion to sort this offensive slide out. (10 out 12 games scoring 4 runs or less)

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
Brings up the question: Slump or just not that good???

It's not like we've had any long stretches of hitting the cover off the ball collectively as a team.  I'm just happy for our huge division lead to give us a cushion to sort this offensive slide out. (10 out 12 games scoring 4 runs or less)

Just watch the team when they get 2 strikes on them and men in scoring position. Teams like the bosox/angels/twins/ and very much so the As shorten their swing and make contact. When a man on second and less than 2 outs hitting the ball to the right side to advance the runner. Hey maybe it doesnt work, but then again maybe it gets through. Our team still has a very long looping swing(you can hear over and over farmio and rooney, theres a big cut and he is out). Too many Ks, to many popups. Not taking enough pitches.

I have been saying all year long and have been attacked. We have been near the bottom in singles and doubles and near the bottom in OBP. That is a very alarming trend. It means we dont get on base a lot, we dont string hits together and we dont hit a lot of gap line drives. But again we are near the league lead in homers just like years before. I think the hitters have the talent but they are stubborn or stupid and just go up there hacking like animals.

1st number = ('05 average - career average up to '04)

2nd number = ('05 average - '04 average)

Pierzynski: -.026, -.004

Konerko: -.007, -.006

Iguchi: incomplete

Uribe: -.021, -.038

Crede: -.016, +.001

Podsednik: +.007, +.038

Rowand: -.010, -.030

Dye: -.014, -.007

Everett: -.011, +.006

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
Ha best record in the AL no way in hell he could get fired

This is irrelevant. Defense and pitching have not played into this at all?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
He's not getting fired. I could see if players have underperformed from career norms, but most are at or slightly above what you would expect. B

This, however, is relevant.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
1st number = ('05 average - career average up to '04)

2nd number = ('05 average - '04 average)

Pierzynski:  -.026, -.004

Konerko:  -.007, -.006

Iguchi: incomplete

Uribe:  -.021, -.038

Crede:  -.016, +.001

Podsednik:  +.007, +.038

Rowand:  -.010, -.030

Dye:  -.014, -.007

Everett:  -.011, +.006

Some stats to back it up.

On the other hand, the team is offensively slumping somewhat. Should steps be taken to address this? Yes. Does that mean the firing of a coach? Maybe not, but the idea should be considered.