8/17 Games

CWSGuy406

Charlotte loses 14-5. Burke with two hits, Gload and Borchard a hit a piece. Poor start from Diaz, five innings, six runs.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...=g_box&did=milb

Birmingham wins 9-4. Owens with three hits, Young 2-for-4 with a BB, 2B, 3B, 3 RBIs. Fields with a hit.

Winston Salem wins 10-5. Gio with a mediocre start, 5 IP, 3 K's, 3 BBs, 3 ER, 4 H. Valido 1-for-5.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
Whats the story on Sweeney's injury?

Ryan has not seen a doctor yet he has some damage from an injury in June he has been trying to play through this HBP was lower on the hand. He will need Off season surgery most likely for the earlier damage.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
Ryan has not seen a doctor yet he has some damage from an injury in June he has been trying to play through this HBP was lower on the hand.  He will need Off season surgery most likely for the earlier damage.

Bham, i never get to see these guys except what was on in spring training. but i know some scouts still say sweeney will be a stud even without the power there this year. im not really a stats guy so i hate to simply look at numbers, but im not a tools guy either. but since i can see stats and only stats, i was wondering if you can gimme a run down of what if anything you think will make this kid a solid big leaguer. i know hes only 20 and second youngest in AA blah blah blah, but as much as i hate solely lookin at stats, is just too hard for me to ignore a .355 slugging percentage. please tell me something good, thanks!

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
Bham, i never get to see these guys except what was on in spring training. but i know some scouts still say sweeney will be a stud even without the power there this year. im not really a stats guy so i hate to simply look at numbers, but im not a tools guy either. but since i can see stats and only stats, i was wondering if you can gimme a run down of what if anything you think will make this kid a solid big leaguer. i know hes only 20 and second youngest in AA blah blah blah, but as much as i hate solely lookin at stats, is just too hard for me to ignore a .355 slugging percentage. please tell me something good, thanks!

Well right now he still has a excellent swing and a tremendous RF with a cannon for an arm. Sweeney stats this year are off because of 1st season at a huge pitchers park and the wrist problem that he will need to get fixed right now he can't hit pitches on the inner half because of it and LH hitters love the ball down an in. The pitchers have realized this and been jaming him. After every swing on an inside pitch he barely walk to 1st because the pain is so bad

Edited by BHAMBARONS

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
Well right now he still has a excellent swing and a tremendous RF with a cannon for an arm.  Sweeney stats this year are off because of 1st season at a huge pitchers park and the wrist problem that he will need to get fixed right now he can't hit pitches on the inner half because of it and LH hitters love the ball down an in.  The pitchers have realized this and been jaming him.  After every swing on an inside pitch he barely walk to 1st because the pain is so bad

i still have to believe though that his status as a prospect is quite a ways behind anderson and young....right?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
i still have to believe though that his status as a prospect is quite a ways behind anderson and young....right?

Yep I mean Chris Young is putting up out of this world numbers in the Met. The season Chris has had is the best Power Speed season since Mike Cameron in 1996.

Barons 9 Carolina 4

W- Philips (9-4) L-Aguilar (4-2)

Barons finally figured out the slow breaking ball and hit it hard. Chris Young with a huge day with the Barons down 4-2 in the 5th and JO at first CY doubled off the wall in Left field and JO came all the way around to score then some small ball that has been a staple of Barons baseball since Wally Backman when Rogo gave up his AB by grounding to 2nd sending Young to 3rd Darren Blakely followed with a sac fly. The Barons scored 5 in the 6th the big blow came on a CY 2 run triple. Jerry Owens had a 3-5 game. Heath Phillips got better as the game went along the first few innings Heath left everything high in the zone and got hit hard. Jeremy Hermida launched a 2 run blast off the score board in the 1st but went 0-4 afterwords and was 1-15 HR 4K's and DP.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
Barons 9  Carolina 4

W- Philips (9-4)  L-Aguilar (4-2)

Chris Young with a huge day with the Barons down 4-2 in the 5th and JO at first CY doubled off the wall in Left field

That was the doubles record, wasn't it? 60 XBH for Young in that park. Amazing.