Healthy Beer

DBAHO

But what's the catch?

AN Indian firm has launched a vitamin-rich beer which it says protects the body from the harmful effects of alcohol, the Press Trust of India news agency reported.

Ladybird Bio Beer contains aloe-vera extracts as well as the normal ingredients of barley malt and hops, said its inventor B. Srinivas Amarnath.

He said research showed that it did not harm the liver or cause ulcers and gastric illness.

"The results of human clinical trials have shown aloe vera increases the bioavailability of vitamins like B1, B6, B12, C and E," said C.B. Jagannatha Rao, senior vice president of Khoday group of industries.

The beer was launched in the southern Indian state of Kerala today by Khoday in partnership with Amarnath's firm, Advaith Biotech.

Mr Amarnath said consignments of the beer had been exported to Canada and customers from Malaysia and the United States had also expressed interest.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
Aw, where the hell is Jim when you need him?  Doctor's orders!

I was gonna ask if "bioavailability" is really a word, but the internet tells me it is.  And I trust electrons!

Certainly bioavailability is a word, and a mighty good one.

As for aloe in beer, I'd think it would be overall detrimental to the body and mouthfeel of the beer. Seems like it would leave an oil slick on your beer, but I don't know. If it makes it to the states I'll be sure to try it.

And Guiness has had it right all along. Of course beer is good for you! :drink

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Say it!  Say it!

.... :huh:

It's... Beer-tastic?

Slainte'? :D

Actually, beer has had the moniker of 'the elixer of life' in some civilizations since the Sumerians and Egyptians. Fun fact.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim