Greg Couch Article on current slide

southsideirish71

To me, they just sit back, count on their wonderful starting pitching and swing for the fences. It's hard to battle out a long count, to foul off pitches until the right one is there to poke a single to right, to draw a walk.

It's so much easier to swing hard, harder, hardest and hope that the ball floats out in the warm Chicago night.

The Sox don't know how to get on-base, don't know how to score without a home run. Paul Konerko's homer gave them their run on Wednesday.

Why couldn't the Sox face up to this before the trading deadline passed? This is not a smallball offense, despite what was advertised. The Sox pitch well, play defense. They do move runners over, so there's some smallball.

But it shouldn't have taken Scott Podsednik's groin injury to see that.

Kind of funny. This is the same s*** I have been saying now for months about the offense going for the dong. Now reporters are saying the same thing. Maybe its this f***ing obvious.

Couch Article

Sigh another why couldn't we trade for someone at the deadline article. Obviously didn't know much about the current trade market.

But yes the smallball isn't likely to work at the Cell unless of course the fences are moved back, which probably won't be happening anytime soon.

And that puts pressure on the likes of Crede to swing for the fences, and sure he'll get ya 20HR's a year and solid defence, but is that enough to handle for the pop ups and weak batting average etc.

This is Crede's 2nd bad month out of 5 now, he needs a good September to keep his spot next year. And unless you like Bill Mueller or Joe Randa, there's probably not many alternatives either.

The hitting has gotten used to the pitching bailing them out most of the season. They take advantage of the pitching and sit back for long ball. Yesterday, Bruce Levine noted that a few of the SP's are becoming irrated with this offense. Oh boy, I hope someone snaps and lets this offense have it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)
Bill Mueller would be a huge upgrade over Crede.  Mueller is a very consistent hitter who can be counted on to put together good ABs.  There's not much of a difference in their defense either.

The problem with Mueller is this, from an Aaron Gleeman blog article about 3 weeks ago;

While Mueller has hit just .241 with .339 slugging percentage away from Fenway Park over the last two years

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
The hitting has gotten used to the pitching bailing them out most of the season.  They take advantage of the pitching and sit back for long ball.  Yesterday, Bruce Levine noted that a few of the SP's are becoming irrated with this offense.  Oh boy, I hope someone snaps and lets this offense have it.

The pitching hasn't been stellar of late either. Yes they carried the team for the great run, but right now it seems like all facets of the game is weak (pitching, hitting, fielding, baserunning, and coaching).

everyone skids, we just need to make sure we get hot at the right time. BUt we also need to be the aggressive team that we were the first 2 months when we were killing people. We need to push the game at all times, bunting, hitting and running, making contact. Come on, stop it with the flyball s*** people.

The problem I have is when people go "it's only a 5 game skid, better to have happened now than later". The thing is, there's no guarantee this is only a 5 game skid. It's not like we're playing well, but just aren't getting the breaks. We've looked like s*** for quite a while, and it's finally catching up to us.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 01:09 AM)
Just remember....it could be worse!

I'm not sweating....yet. But I am getting a bit worried. Sadly right now I have the most confidence in Garland of our starting pitchers.

I hope they break the record or else its a waste of time. :D

Edited by Ozzie Montana