Comments from Pauly

LosMediasBlancas

This morning on am 1000, they said that Konerko was asked about the Sox needing to acquire a bat. He said the Sox would rather blow the division or lose in the 1st round of the playoffs with what they have, than to add a bat.

I didn't hear him say it, they didn't play a sound bite and I didn't find it in the paper.

Anyone else hear or read this??

Please add or delete this if it's in another thread. If it is, sorry in advance.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope he didn't say that. I know you want to have confidence in your team, but denial of your team's weaknesses is a formula for disaster. The fact is every team in the league could use another bat, just some teams need more bats than others.

Prediction:

"This guy is supposed to be the team leader? All he ever does is open his mouth and say dumb s*** like this, I can't wait until he's gone this offseason so I dont have to hear this type of talk out of him anymore."

--------------------------------

Funny how there's no soundbite on this, you're just relying on the people doing the show to correctly quote a guy that has continuously been taken out of context.

PK was sticking up for his team, trying to be the team leader. The whole Griffey Jr. thing really got out of hand, and you're foolish to think these players weren't caught up in it also. As much as I disagree with what PK said, I totally respect him for saying it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
I'm thinking Red Sox.

There was an article in the Boston Herald when the White Sox were in town a couple of days ago, where Paulie was saying he didn't think he could handle living in Boston permanently, like he can now with Chicago.

Kalapse brought up a good team in the O's though as well. There'll be a market for Paulie this off-season, don't you worry about that.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
PK was sticking up for his team, trying to be the team leader.  The whole Griffey Jr. thing really got out of hand, and you're foolish to think these players weren't caught up in it also.  As much as I disagree with what PK said, I totally respect him for saying it.

Come on that's much to sensible. With an opinion like that you might actually sway some people into NOT bashing Konerko for something he said.

Konerko: "we're going to go down swinging with the guys we have"

Well, that's a WHOLE lot different that what this thread was trying to claim he said.

Think before you post is a good policy...yep

And candlesticks...make a nice gift.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

Meh....sounds more like a rallying cry to me. This quote doesn't bother me as much as some of the ones he's had in the past.

Of course the 'vocal leader' will say things like this. Its the old "captain goes down with his ship; General never leaves his men behind" philosophy. There is no way he actually believes what he said, as I'm sure he would love to hit behind a Griffey or something, but the writing is on the wall. Rally with what you have, because the market is not open to make any large acquisition.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
I don't like the "we're going down..." and would have much rather heard.. "we'll turn it around.... "

Paul you bastard.

C'mon you know how negative Paulie is all the time. That is one of the reasons him as our spokesperson never has sat well with me.

It's pretty obvious right now the team has a similar attitude about themselves that we are sharing on this board. (well the majority of us at least)

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
Take it easy people.

As I wrote, it came from the mouth of Tom Schaer or Schaerer who does the updates for them at around 6:45 this morning on ESPN radio 1000. I haven't found the quote myself.  I was just wondering if anyone found it, or had heard the same thing.

Yeah. Actually they said it yesterday after the game on AM1000. They also had Mark Buehrle quotes after the game where he said the guys are just not having fun.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
So another Pauly comment that's probably been blown out of proportion or something.

Well it really wouldn't suprise me if he ran off to the Mets this off-season.

Konerko has proven time and time again to have a bad case of foot in mouth disease. He should avoid microphones and concentrate on his hitting.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
Yeah.  Actually they said it yesterday after the game on AM1000.  They also had Mark Buehrle quotes after the game where he said the guys are just not having fun.

I've been saying that for a week or so. This team has been playing way too tight, and playing not to lose.