Mark's given up...

Steff

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
"Nooooooooooo, Addy, you're crazy.  It can't be dead-arm."

Puh-leeze. :rolly

You've been bitter about that for a while now...didn't I agree with you the first time you posted it anyway? Isn't that good enough? :P

Mark has thrown alot of innings every year hes been in the league. His location has been what has hurt him the most over the past month or so. So hopefully he is tired and overthrowing a little causing him to miss his spots.

73 hits in his last 59 innings... :o

THats not that good, but in compairisent here are our starters WHIP during the last 30 days:

Garcia: 1.53 2-2 4.40 ERA

Buehrle: 1.55 2-3 4.89 ERA

Garland: 1.42 2-2 4.45 ERA

El Duque: 1.09 WHIP 1-3 3.86 ERA

Cont.: 1.42 2-2 5.00 ERA

Yea mark has not been mark the last month but niether has garcia or garland for that matter

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
Yea mark has not been mark the last month but niether has garcia or garland for that matter

However, Mark's been the most consistant of the 3 in the past. I would expect Jon or Freddy to have a few issues.

It's not the end of the world... I was just surprised at the numbers.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
However, Mark's been the most consistant of the 3 in the past. I would expect Jon or Freddy to have a few issues.

It's not the end of the world... I was just surprised at the numbers.

Let me say that the pitching staff's numbers are not up to the first half's standards.But there are some game the Sox should have won,if it wern't for the bats going on deep freeze.

Jose and El Duque should have won a couple of games more if the offense produced.Because I know Jose had that dreaded "Bad" inning,so did El Duque,and maybe Garland did as well.But the staff is still solid,it just the bats need to get fired up.

QUOTE(WSNS-TV44 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
Let me say that the pitching staff's numbers are not up to the first half's standards.But there are some game the Sox should have won,if it wern't for the bats going on deep freeze.

Jose and El Duque should have won a couple of games more if the offense produced.Because I know Jose had that dreaded "Bad" inning,so did El Duque,and maybe Garland did as well.But the staff is still solid,it just the bats need to get fired up.

This.

The pitching staff has been stressed all year. That's part of small/smart/Ozzieball, at least in theory.

It's just interesting to me that small/smart/Ozzieball minus Podsednik = a less powerful version of the same old offense. If Scott is this important to the Sox' fortunes this year, then he must be the American League's Most Valuable Player!!!

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
What does Hawk say...

"He's trying to be too fine out there"

Maybe.

I know that Mark would be the last person to pass the buck on his performance.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
its harder to pitch when you are losing from the first inning on.

And that's what I meant about that "Bad" inning.From the second inning on they could pitch their asses off.We just need some offense.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
"Nooooooooooo, Addy, you're crazy.  It can't be dead-arm."

Puh-leeze. :rolly

I might agree with you, but Mark's career numbers don't show any reason why this should be a dead arm period.

Historically, Mark's worst month in terms of ERA, hits, etc, has been June. In the last 3 years, he's posted an ERA over 5 in June...it's dropped to 4.25 in August and 3.42 in September.

On top of that, he's thrown 220+ innings every year since 2001. He's not on a pace to do anything out of the ordinary at all when it comes to innings this year.

If this was Mark's 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd year working 220+ innings, I might say yeah, the work load might finally be catching up with him. But it's not. This is his 5th year working 220+ innings. I just can't comprehend how a guy could be able to work so many innings for 4 straight years and then suddenly have it catch up with him in the 5th year.

If fatigue were a problem, it would have shown up in previous years. But it hasn't...in previous years he's gotten better as the seasons went on.

Mark has to be having some sort of a mechanics issue. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
its harder to pitch when you are losing from the first inning on.

Thats not entirely true. Freddy has given up something like 25 runs in the 1st inn. of his 27 some odd starts. And many of those games he pitched gems from the 2nd inning on. El Duque has done the same in like his last three starts. Yeah it sucks to be losing from the gun, but good pitchers know how to focus better in that particular situation.

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
THats not that good, but in compairisent here are our starters WHIP during the last 30 days:

Garcia: 1.53 2-2 4.40 ERA

Buehrle: 1.55 2-3 4.89 ERA

Garland: 1.42 2-2 4.45 ERA

El Duque: 1.09 WHIP 1-3 3.86 ERA

Cont.: 1.42 2-2 5.00 ERA

Duque has really stepped it up though.