Mark's given up...

Steff

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
THats not that good, but in compairisent here are our starters WHIP during the last 30 days:

Garcia: 1.53 2-2 4.40 ERA

Buehrle: 1.55 2-3 4.89 ERA

Garland: 1.42 2-2 4.45 ERA

El Duque: 1.09 WHIP 1-3 3.86 ERA

Cont.: 1.42 2-2 5.00 ERA

Yea mark has not been mark the last month but niether has garcia or garland for that matter

One can make a case that Ozzie idiotically overuses his starting pitchers (which I've been saying for a while now). Is it a coincidence that Duque, the least worked of the 5, has the best stats?

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
Or is it that Duque had a nice 4-week break while all the other pitchers have gone through their regular and side starts?

Well when Ozzie does stupid things like has Freddy Garcia after a 1 hour rain delay and throwing over a hundred pitches on the downside start a 9th inning against a good hitting Detroit team at home with the bullpen rested, you can question that decision.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
One can make a case that Ozzie idiotically overuses his starting pitchers (which I've been saying for a while now). Is it a coincidence that Duque, the least worked of the 5, has the best stats?

Definitely could be a reason. Definitely..

I actually thought Buehrle pitched pretty good last night. That balk call was BS and cost him a couple of runs. Outside of that he kept the Sox in the game. Maybe he feels pressured to pitch a shutout knowing the offense is slumping? Or maybe it's us who feel that pressure. :D

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
I actually thought Buehrle pitched pretty good last night. That balk call was BS and cost him a couple of runs. Outside of that he kept the Sox in the game. Maybe he feels pressured to pitch a shutout knowing the offense is slumping? Or maybe it's us who feel that pressure.  :D

That's happened a couple of times where 1 call or 1 error will just kill Mark all of a sudden and cause a big inning...like back against Oakland before the break

The last person I would ask for his unbiased opinion on why Mark Buerhle in struggling would be Hawk Harrelson. Mark gives up a lot of hits and relies on defense to get him out of trouble. He is not overpowering by any stretch of the imagination so control has to be there for him. He misses some his spots and gets in trouble.